Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Qualls [and EVERY other Reliever] BLOWS with Runners ON/RISP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article levski linked:

Quote:
You know I'll leave a comment... Trade Upton to the Padres, who need an outfielder with some pop, for some of their pitchers. I have onl been saying this for 2 years now.

Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:

Quote:
You know I'll leave a comment... Trade Upton to the Padres, who need an outfielder with some pop, for some of their pitchers. I have onl been saying this for 2 years now.

Its not as silly as you think, If the Padres have any breathing middle relievers we'd be silly to pass up that deal up.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Justin wrote:

Quote:

Its not as silly as you think, If the Padres have any breathing middle relievers we'd be silly to pass up that deal up.

riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- J. Valverde relieved R. Perry
- N. Swisher struck out swinging
- M. Teixeira struck out looking
- A. Rodriguez struck out swinging

Sigh.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Perry graduated my high school a year after I did. Never would have guessed hed be in the Majors. Its a little weird. Especially since its Marana High School Laughing Confused
Bobster
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
Ryan Perry graduated my high school a year after I did. Never would have guessed hed be in the Majors. Its a little weird. Especially since its Marana High School Laughing Confused

i can top that - jamie moyer graduated from high school the same year as me (1981), and he's in his 24th season in the majors.

he's also the oldest pitcher in MLB history to pitch a shutout.
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Justin wrote:

Quote:

or put upton on waivers, if some team grabs him we can use the savings to sign relievers.
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would Augie's trade value be? Snyder's trade value looks like it would be quite high right now.... fantastic defense and his offense this season is phenomenal.
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks_Nation wrote:
What would Augie's trade value be?

Next to nil... guys like Augie are a dime a dozen, every team has 2-3 guys already in their org who can produce Ojeda's #s
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:
Justin wrote:

Quote:

or put upton on waivers, if some team grabs him we can use the savings to sign relievers.

You sir are a genius, what a perfect way to maximise Upton's minimal value.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we get a change in the PEN. Shocked

Manager A.J. Hinch said the Diamondbacks will skip right-hander Cesar Valdez's turn in the rotation, moving him into the bullpen for the next few games.

His next start is expected to come either Monday or Tuesday in Florida.

Hinch said not to consider Valdez's time in the bullpen in the next few days as an audition, but the club has talked about using him in a relief role.

"He does a lot of things that are good," Byrnes said. "He throws strikes. He keeps the ball on the ground. He has a swing-and-miss pitch. We'll see."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2010/05/11/20100511arizona-diamondbacks-all-star-game.html#ixzz0nh6jw3d4
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dback reliever Daniel Stange entered the game in the 8th inning and threw 27 pitches without retiring a batter setting a new Dback record for most pitches thrown in an outing without recording an out. The old record was 26 pitches by Armando Reynoso on April 23, 2000.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2010/05/11/20100511arizona-diamondbacks-los-angeles-dodgers-loss.html#reply20074436#ixzz0nhNW4DER

sb24ws2005
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After last night's mess, our bullpen ERA is now 7.55 - a full 2 runs more than the next worst team. 55 walks in 95 innings, .289 BAA, and an eye-popping 21 HR allowed.

MLB Bullpen Statistics
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb24ws2005 wrote:
After last night's mess, our bullpen ERA is now 7.55 - a full 2 runs more than the next worst team. 55 walks in 95 innings, .289 BAA, and an eye-popping 21 HR allowed.

MLB Bullpen Statistics

not to mention, only the Cubs and Cleveland have given up more than our 8 unearned runs in the pen... throws those in for good measure and we're flirting with 1 run allowed an inning for 6 frickin weeks.

Gotta kill the offense to know they better have at least a 4-5 run lead every night by the time the 7th rolls around.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
"He does a lot of things that are good," Byrnes said. "He throws strikes. He keeps the ball on the ground. He has a swing-and-miss pitch. We'll see."

Where was I when he was throwing strikes? Confused

And when you hear a GM say, "we'll see," in this case, it actually means, "I don't know what the fuck to do, so I'll do this for the sake of making a move." Rolling Eyes

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cesar Valdez has been moved to the pen!

Our prayers have been answered!

If Byrnes is going to just start throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks, he should go all the way with it and just start bringing people up now for maximum shit throwing/sticking potential.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snyder or Jackson for pitching? It would have to be damn good pitching, especially when you're talking relief, but I don't see any other trade chips that are worth it.
sb24ws2005
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakebit 'pen
Quote:
Tom McKean of ESPN Stats & Information contributes this, about the Arizona bullpen (the numbers he cites are prior to the D-backs' blowout loss to the Dodgers on Tuesday):

Really bad aspects of teams sometimes can be fascinating. Take Arizona's bullpen. It could very well be the worst in recent memory, or distant memory for that matter. Through 33 games, the Diamondbacks' relief staff sports an ERA of 7.09. That's an astounding 1.67 points worse than any other team in the big leagues. Only one reliever, Aaron Heilman, has an ERA less than 6.00, and his is nothing impressive (4.26). Also consider that seven relievers who have logged innings this year have an ERA of more than 6.50, while Heilman also is the only man in the bullpen with a WHIP less than 1.20.

Currently, the next closest bad ERA is Anaheim, with a 5.42 mark, and the Cubs at 5.22. It's not even close.While a considerable amount of the season remains, Arizona would have to lower its ERA significantly to avoid becoming the worst bullpen of the past 40 years (divisional era). That distinction currently belongs to the 2007 Devil Rays, who posted a relief ERA of 6.16 on the season.

Here's a look at the worst 'pen ERAs of the past 25 years, courtesy of Elias:

2007 Devil Rays: 6.16
1996 Tigers: 5.97
1999 Mariners: 5.94
1999 Royals: 5.77
2007 Orioles: 5.75

The Diamondbacks' relievers have allowed 54 percent of inherited runners to score this season; that's 10 percent more than any other team, and the league average this year is around 33 percent. Righty Esmerling Vasquez is a big culprit, having allowed all five baserunners he's inherited this season to cross the plate. With lefties Clay Zavada and Jordan Norberto in the minors, part of the issue is likely that Arizona has no pitchers in the starting or relief staff who are left-handers.

Here's where some notable relievers are struggling in 2010:

Blaine Boyer -- Fifty-six percent of two-strike at-bats become outs (league average is 73 percent).
Juan Gutierrez -- Off-speed pitches count for strikes 51 percent of the time (league average is 61 percent).
Aaron Heilman -- A full 48 percent of plate appearances are four or fewer pitches (league average is 65 percent).

Bob Howry -- First batters faced in appearance are hitting .364 against him.
Chad Qualls -- Righties have an OPS of 1.041 against him.

The Diamondbacks' seven saves match their blown saves total, and their .282 opponent batting average is also second-worst in baseball. It could be a long summer in the desert.

And...this was BEFORE last night's mess!
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolen from KTAR sports interactive.

I'd rather have D-Backs broadcasters in the pen than the current guys. Fetters, Sutton, Candiotti,Joe Borowski and even Grace would be better.

Sounds like a plan. Wink
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2010/05/14/20100514arizona-diamondbacks-lose-atlanta-braves.html

Quote:
"It was a slider, on the black, down and away," Qualls said. "It was probably the weakest swing he took all night, and he wins the game. Obviously I have to tip my hat. He made contact with it and kept it fair. But it's just super frustrating. . . .

"I felt like I made great pitches the whole inning, and we come away with a loss."

Russ Ortiz called. He wants his stupid shtick back.

Someone send Qualls, and everyone else, to play in Flipper's burger league.
wedge
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be his problem. If he's convinced that good pitches are a walk and 3 hits over 1/3 of an inning, he's just a little confused. Maybe he needs some therapy.

(Eric Byrnes' Motivational Hair™ comes with seventeen free instances of Eric Byrnes Inspirationally Falling Down While Throwing The Ball©® (patent pending).)
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge wrote:
That must be his problem. If he's convinced that good pitches are a walk and 3 hits over 1/3 of an inning, he's just a little confused. Maybe he needs some therapy.

His only out was on a sacrifice bunt too, in which he could've easily nabbed the runner heading to third as well.
wedge
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we got any more Rosas down in AAA or maybe some jobber prospects we can trade for Rosas?

(Eric Byrnes' Motivational Hair™ comes with seventeen free instances of Eric Byrnes Inspirationally Falling Down While Throwing The Ball©® (patent pending).)
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
Cesar Valdez has been moved to the pen!

Our prayers have been answered!

If Byrnes is going to just start throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks, he should go all the way with it and just start bringing people up now for maximum shit throwing/sticking potential.

It couldn't hurt- start bringing up guys from AA, oh what the hell, why not A ball?? They couldn't possibly be any worse... Shocked Rolling Eyes
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge wrote:

I'm pretty sure he mouthed, "Unbelievable..." as he left the field. Confused

No shit.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: