Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Estrada Bitching again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Estrada Bitching again Reply with quote

Quote:
Estrada unhappy with bench time

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 24, 2006 12:00 AM

LOS ANGELES - With a day game today after a night game, catcher Johnny Estrada knows he won't be behind the plate when the Diamondbacks close their series against the Dodgers.

That's what backup catchers are for.

Trouble is, as time runs out on Arizona's season and Estrada gets closer to seeing the end, he's no longer sure if he's a starter, a part-timer or just excess baggage waiting to be moved in an off-season trade.

The latter seems to be a given if the Diamondbacks think rookie Miguel Montero is ready for everyday duty in the majors. Montero would likely team with Chris Snyder, leaving Estrada, a switch-hitter who was batting .305, as trade bait after just one season in Phoenix.

"I'm not happy about this at all," Estrada said of his situation, which has included his share of recent games on the bench. "At this point, and I know this sounds bad, but I'd almost rather not play. Heck, let the kid (Montero) play. Let him get some games if that's the direction they're going to go in and those are going to be their guys next year."

Diamondbacks General Manager Josh Byrnes has said the catching situation will be discussed and resolved after the season, but Estrada, an All-Star with the Braves in 2004, thinks a decision has been made.

"If they want to keep avoiding the question, they can go right ahead," he said. "That's for them to decide. They don't want to give me the courtesy and let me know. Fine. But I think the fans can put two and two together."

The Diamondbacks can control Estrada's rights for another two years, but if Montero pans out to be the can't-miss prospect he looks to be, they may have no choice but to play him and cut Estrada loose, possibly in a package deal that could net them some pitching help.

"But I'm 30. It's not like I'm 38," Estrada said. "Maybe they're sitting me so my numbers look good and it makes my value go up."

Holy Cow. I would sit his ass the rest of the season. He would never play another game for my team. Really the ONLY justification for not benching his ass would be if you felt it would hurt his trade value.
Hugh
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an asshole.

I've looked a bit at what teams need catchers (and will likely be competetive next year and might be inclined to make a trade). I came up with the Giants, Rockies and maybe the Blue Jays (if they don't pick up a $7.5 million option on Benjie Molina). They've each got at least one great young arm, but I really have no clue what Estrada's worth--I'd imagine a fair amount more than we paid for him last year.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Estrada said. "Maybe they're sitting me so my numbers look good and it makes my value go up."

Estrada is very perceptive.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point...gotta keep that BA over .300
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lev, what about Estrada for Jennings?
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockies won't bite. They have a solid young catcher in Iannetta.

There should be plenty of market demand for Estrada. He has shown that he's healthy, completely recovered from the Erstad collision, and the team that acquires him will control him for 2 years. That's worth plenty...

Now if he'd just shut up so other teams don't realize he's an a-hole...
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Estrada Bitching again Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Quote:

"I'm not happy about this at all," Estrada said of his situation, which has included his share of recent games on the bench. "At this point, and I know this sounds bad, but I'd almost rather not play. Heck, let the kid (Montero) play. Let him get some games if that's the direction they're going to go in and those are going to be their guys next year."

BoMel should heed the wishes of his PV and sit Estrada's fat ass down for the season. Some team should want a .300 hitting catcher this winter.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One hit wonder.
1golfer1
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh wrote:
What an asshole.

I've looked a bit at what teams need catchers (and will likely be competetive next year and might be inclined to make a trade). I came up with the Giants, Rockies and maybe the Blue Jays (if they don't pick up a $7.5 million option on Benjie Molina). They've each got at least one great young arm, but I really have no clue what Estrada's worth--I'd imagine a fair amount more than we paid for him last year.

i put 2 and 2 together... estrada is 2 fat 2 be our catcher.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like his teammates have him pegged...
John Gambadoro in yesterday's Arizona Republic wrote:
Look for the D-Backs to field trade offers for disgruntled catcher Johnny Estrada during the off-season. While Estrada has had a nice year at the plate, hitting .306 with 11 home runs and 70 runs batted in, teammates quietly have questioned his work ethic and attitude.
tmar
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to see a reporter restating opinions that were expressed "quietly". If it was so quiet, how did it end up in the news?
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Gumbo also wrote that:

Quote:
With Miguel Montero ready to play every day in the big leagues, Arizona could move Estrada to a team in need of a good-hitting backstop. Remember the San Francisco Giants did the same thing with A.J. Pierzynski and dealt him to Chicago, where he led the White Sox to the World Series last year. So there should be a market for Estrada.

Actually, the Giants non-tendered him and he signed with CHA as a free agent. But don't let facts get in the way of your beautifully sounding fiction, Gumbo...

Gumbo also discusses Edgar's future in there, and says a couple of interesting things:

Quote:
But a strong finish to this season will put him along with Enrique Gonzalez, Dustin Nippert, Micah Owings and Ross Ohlendorf as contenders for one, and possibly two, starting spot in the rotation next year entering spring training.

In reality, the competition will be Edgar, Enrique and Nippert.

Quote:
Brandon Webb and Livan Hernandez are locks, and how many spots are available will depend on the starting pitchers the organization acquires via trade and/or free agency. Miguel Batista and Claudio Vargas are not expected to be back with the team.

Gumbo usually hears things from the front office, so this is interesting. Maybe the Dbacks aren't very optimistic that Miggy will come back on terms the team likes, which is very possible. Miggy would (and should) look to parlay a career year in a fat paycheck.

The comment on Vargas is interesting. Trading him this offseason is absolutely the right thing to do, imho. Both Edgar and Enrique can step in his shoes and do the same job, if not better, for a fraction of the cost.
TAP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
Funny to see a reporter restating opinions that were expressed "quietly". If it was so quiet, how did it end up in the news?

Psssst, Gambo....Don't tell anybody you heard this from me, but most of us think Estrada's a lazy #%*@ with a bad attitude to boot.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I seem to like the word interesting...
TAP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Interestingly, I seem to like the word interesting...

Very interesting that you noted that.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Johnny is concerned about keeping his trade value up, he should shut his pie hole for the rest of the season and pretend he's actually a team player...instead of a bitching all the time on top of being fat, and lazy, and unable to take a walk...
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten on Estrada just as much as anyone but I will stick up for him (a little bit).

He's made a great comeback and put together one of the most productive seasons that a DBack catcher has ever had. It seems that the team hasn't done a good job addressing his current role with the team.

That said, he needs to keep his mouth shut till the end of the season.
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been hearing "quietly" at least from mid season that Estrada is a whiner, lazy and doesn't hustle. He has obvioulsy pissed someone in the organization off and management is letting their lackies loose.

This is not the way to bump up trade value.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's encouraging to see that they might be giving up on Vargas. Smart move, IMO.
tmar
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that there's no mention of Cruz anywhere.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruz is probably headed for the pen. That's my guess at least. He doesn't have the size for a starter and had been fragile too.
Otacon
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see what we get for him. I'm not going to miss his 1-pitch at-bats, good season or not. Anyone think Billy Beane would bite?
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it but it's worth trying.
Otacon
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beane most likely isn't interested but then again Kendall is getting paid a shitload of money and unless he signs an extension, 2007 would be his last year in Oakland. I don't know about any of the A's catching prospects but I do know that Jeremy Brown, who was supposed to be the best catcher in history, hasn't lived up to the hype either. And would you look at that, Estrada is a big Raiders fan.

The Astros could be a good fit. Ausmus continues his trend of suckiness and Houston is probably regretting giving him that 2-year contract this past off-season. How about for that struggling reliever, some guy named Lidge?
Bob A
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Estrada will be missed. With all these quotes in the press he must be a cancer in the clubhouse too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: