Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dbacks pitchers band together
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Dbacks pitchers band together Reply with quote

A nice article by Nightengale that I thought deserves its own thread

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2008/05/20/20080520dbacksusatoday-ON.html

A couple of parts I liked

Quote:
Webb is negotiating a contract extension that would keep him with the Diamondbacks until at least 2013, tacking on three years to his current deal, which pays him $5.5 million this season.

GIT R DONE!

Quote:
"Most of these young guys couldn't care less what I did, or have any idea what I did," says Johnson. "I can understand that. When I first got here in 99, most of these guys were in high school. They didn't know what I was doing.

"They watch me go out and throw 92-93 mph, get lit up, and say, This guy won five Cy Youngs? You're kidding me?'

"But I tell you what, I take a lot of pride what I'm doing, especially at 44. It's actually a lot more challenging. You feel vulnerable because you're throwing 93 mph with an 85-86 mph slider. I have to grind it out."

GO GET 'EM, GRAMPS!

Laughing
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that Randy is grinding, focusing on locating, mixing in splits and cutters and two seamers with his slider and four seamer.

If he is going to be successful, thats what he has to do. The conventional wisdom was always that RJ would not have the mentality or ability to pitch like an old pitcher using his guile and experience in place of the stuff he once had. But from what we've seen, and what he's saying....he's doing just that.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When The Unit grinds, everything comes together.

The question is if Randy's entering the same groove that he was in last year for several games (before sliding into 3rd base), will his teammates reward his effort with enough supporting runs and defense to get him the 12 wins that are so important to his career?
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like shoe said, I like how Randy had gone from a pitcher that can blow you away at 98mph to an almost (dare i say it) finesse style pitcher. I think that shows true greatness when you can make adjustments like that and still be effective. And then you throw in the fact hes had 2 major back surgeries and is still being effective? Wow.

Sad thing is, his HOF wont be unanimous because there will be some veterens committee members that will say "hey he never won 300 games!!1!1!1" Hes still 1st ballot, regardless. Our 1st HOF too.
TAP

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K/9IP All-Time Career Leaders (minimum 1000 IP):

10.754 Randy Johnson
10.296 Kerry Wood
10.190 Pedro Martinez
9.548 Nolan Ryan
9.456 Johan Santana

And in the spirit of controlling the inside portion of the plate, HBP All-Time Career Leaders:

203 Walter Johnson
196 Eddie Plank
185 Randy Johnson
182 Joe McGinnity
177 Chick Fraser

OUCH!
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
And in the spirit of controlling the inside portion of the plate, HBP All-Time Career Leaders:

203 Walter Johnson 1907-1927
196 Eddie Plank 1901-1917
185 Randy Johnson
182 Joe McGinnity 1899-1908
177 Chick Fraser 1896-1909

OUCH!

One thing I find interesting about this list is that Randy is the only pitcher on the list after 1927. (I added the dates for the careers of each of the other pitchers to TAP's list.)

By the way, Wikipedia has a list of MLB all-time HBP sorted by pitcher that is different from the one above:

1. Gus Weyhing (277)
2. Chick Fraser (219)
3. Pink Hawley (210)
4. Walter Johnson (205)
5. Eddie Plank (190)
6. Tony Mullane (185)
7. Randy Johnson (182)
8. Joe McGinnity (179)
9. Charlie Hough (174)
10. Clark Griffith (171)
11. Cy Young (163)

However, RJ is still the only "modern" player to make the list. The next-closest is Jim Bunning (160) at #12.
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Charlie Hough was modern, but he could hit you all day long with his knuckleball and not leave a mark.
TAP

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
Well, Charlie Hough was modern, but he could hit you all day long with his knuckleball and not leave a mark.

Whereas Randy's will leave bodily reminders for a few days.

EJ, the lists that I provided came from baseball-reference.com.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah may be just getting started but in his first 209 innings he's hit 18. He's on a rate to exceed Randy in about 10 years.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:

True that: Hough was active 1970-1994. (Bunning was active 1955-1971.) I didn't bother to run down the dates of the pitchers on the list from Wikipedia; just on TAP's list.

TAP wrote:
EJ, the lists that I provided came from baseball-reference.com.

Isn't it interesting how there are different lists for what is ostensibly the same statistic? I'd be inclined to defer to the accuracy of the list at BR. I ran across the other one at Wikipedia, and posted it only because it was different.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=dishrandyjohnsonfindsnew&prov=tsn&type=lgns
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry Fraley hedges his bets:

Quote:
Johnson said his back feels better than at any time during last season. If that holds, the Los Angeles Dodgers or Colorado Rockies or San Diego Padres will have to put together a lengthy winning streak to challenge Arizona. None of the other NL West teams has the pitching required to do that.

Uh, Gerry? That leaves only the San Francisco Giants as "none of the other NL West teams" -- so that ain't much of a call, there. It's not wrong -- it's just hedged to the hilt...

And the only thing the Giants have going for them is pitching... so... Laughing
TAP

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:

Quote:
Johnson said his back feels better than at any time during last season. If that holds, the Los Angeles Dodgers or Colorado Rockies or San Diego Padres will have to put together a lengthy winning streak to challenge Arizona. None of the other NL West teams has the pitching required to do that.

Uh, Gerry? That leaves only the San Francisco Giants as "none of the other NL West teams" -- so that ain't much of a call, there. It's not wrong -- it's just hedged to the hilt...

FWIW, ERIC assures us that THIS GUY at $126M is sure to make the Giants the favorites to win the NL West.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:

Quote:

Hey, the Giants are in Fourth!!! Shocked Shocked
TAP

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:

Quote:

Hey, the Giants are in Fourth!!! Shocked Shocked

4th out of 5 teams, 11 games out of 1st, and 1 game ahead of the soon to be broken up and fire-sold Padres. Methinks Giants management may not include this on their resumes.
CoJackFan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoJack wrote:

Haha RJ on the drums.

ERA+-117
OPS+-120

Chad Qualls for Closer!(on hold for now)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TAP

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose wrote:
CoJack wrote:

Haha RJ on the drums.

He really does play the drums.
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoJack wrote:

This band's got almost as many guitarists as Lynyrd Skynyrd.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/24092

Quote:
The Pitch-f/x system uses three cameras in each ballpark to track pitches, information that shows up in real time on MLB.com’s Gameday. Buried further within is the data on pitchers’ release points

Looking only at Johnson’s fastballs and sliders -- and only at starts at Chase Field because of ballpark inconsistencies in the data -- Seidman found that most of Johnson’s pitches were released from the same general area. But there were some that fell outside of his general “cluster.”

When Johnson’s release point was consistent, he threw 31 percent balls and 50 percent strikes and 19 percent were put in play. When he deviated, he threw 44 percent balls, 32 percent strikes and 24 percent were put in play.

Doesn't include data from his last start vs. DET
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

Quote:
The Pitch-f/x system uses three cameras in each ballpark to track pitches, information that shows up in real time on MLB.com’s Gameday. Buried further within is the data on pitchers’ release points

Looking only at Johnson’s fastballs and sliders -- and only at starts at Chase Field because of ballpark inconsistencies in the data -- Seidman found that most of Johnson’s pitches were released from the same general area. But there were some that fell outside of his general “cluster.”

When Johnson’s release point was consistent, he threw 31 percent balls and 50 percent strikes and 19 percent were put in play. When he deviated, he threw 44 percent balls, 32 percent strikes and 24 percent were put in play.

How can someone named "Big Unit" have small sample size Question
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
levski wrote:

Quote:

How can someone named "Big Unit" have small sample size Question

that's the promotional package
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Salad wrote:
CoJack wrote:

This band's got almost as many guitarists as Lynyrd Skynyrd.

lol...

I was thinking right before I saw your post that they the band would sound a little tinny with that many guitars and no bass. Smile
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Goose wrote:
CoJack wrote:

Haha RJ on the drums.

He really does play the drums.

Actually I bet he is a hell of a drummer. If he drums with the same approach and dedication as baseball, it's gotta be good.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ is indeed quite a good drummer...and an accomplished photographer as well. He's a man of many talents.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: