Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Can we stop with the Gonzo bashing???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foulpole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Can we stop with the Gonzo bashing??? Reply with quote

This is getting really old. He's gone after 8 more games. He was a big contributor to this franchise.

This board is supposed to be for the informed fans???

Get over it already, Sheesh.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to my comment in game thread, than you off base. It was an observation, a scouting report, so to speak, and a forecast. not a "bash".

If you were not referring to my game thread post, then disregard this particular and carry on with your protest.
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we stop with the Gonzo bashing??? Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:

Is that a serious question?

We'll all be over it somewhere around the time he's gone and we can see that BoMel isn't giving away too many starts and taking more time from Chris Young.

I'm totally serial.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can we stop with the Gonzo bashing???"

What's this we shit? You don't have to partake. Any fan is perfectly justified, if they choose.
Catharsis
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time you bash Gonzo, God kills another baby seal.

moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we stop with the Gonzo bashing??? Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:

What does that mean? Are only Gonzo "fanboy" posts allowed?
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got in and missed all but the last inning, but jeez luis, 0 for 6 with a K and 5 LOB?

foulpole, please don't get your panties in a bunch (BTW, that's a joke) -- I've cheered just as or more enthusiastically than anybody else for Gonzo for many years, but think about it for a moment...Hairston was hitting 2 for 2 Thursday when Melvin lifted Hariston for Gonzo's veteran presence who proceeded to put up an 0 for 2. He went 0 for 3 last night, and then 0 for 6 tonight. When does Melvin say, "okay we're on the road, let's pinch-hit Hairston for Gonzalez to help better the team"?

A couple of months ago Luis ripped Melvin and the direction of the front office for even thinking of playing a rookie in his place during a pennant race, allegedly thinking of the team's best interest. If this were still the case, he'd sit himself down for a few games.

I'll be there on October 1st giving him a loud, positive, and supportive send-off, but you must be aware that he's given his recent critics all the material they've needed.
Catharsis
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

A couple of months ago Luis ripped Melvin and the direction of the front office for even thinking of playing a rookie in his place during a pennant race, allegedly thinking of the team's best interest.

For the record, he ripped the "new regime" and inferred that they were forcing Melvin to make the move.

That rat bastard!
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catharsis wrote:
For the record, he ripped the "new regime" and inferred that they were forcing Melvin to make the move.

Luca Brasi held a gun to Melvin's head; and my father told him that either his brains or Luis Gonzalez would be in left field for the rest of the season.

It's a true story, Kay.
tmar
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FP I bash just about every player during the game day thread at one point or another. So, in that light I treat Gonzo fairly.

But one thing to understand is that Gonzo flexed his fan muscle and as a result he cost CQ and Hairston playing time the should have gotten. Gonzo has been paid well in $$ and respect from AZ and deserves an equal opportunity bashing when he slumps.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catharsis wrote:

I gotta say Mike....this pic and comment REALLY made me laugh.

well done Laughing
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those pics that are in such poor taste thaat they actually work. Great reply Mike
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually last night games was pretty mild. No FU's. About 8 sarcastic comments, but nothing really offensive. It just gets old though.

To compare, on September 16, Jackson went 0-5 (I think) in a close game with 4 lob. link

He got 4 (I may be missing some) comments: "Jackson hit into dp". A comment about him throwing his helment and how that showed fire and a funny retort. Then "I don't want Jackson traded".

Contrast this to a couple comments every time Gonzo fails. Of course, you can post what you want. I just agree with fp that it is very very old and, IMO, unnecessarily snarky, but that is just me (and I guess foulpole).
tmar
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just because I only watched a small part of the game. If I'd been online watching the whole game the FU count would have been much higher. Twisted Evil
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catharsis wrote:

pretty disturbing pic right there Crying or Very sad
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
Actually last night games was pretty mild. No FU's. About 8 sarcastic comments, but nothing really offensive. It just gets old though.

To compare, on September 16, Jackson went 0-5 (I think) in a close game with 4 lob. link

He got 4 (I may be missing some) comments: "Jackson hit into dp". A comment about him throwing his helment and how that showed fire and a funny retort. Then "I don't want Jackson traded".

Contrast this to a couple comments every time Gonzo fails. Of course, you can post what you want. I just agree with fp that it is very very old and, IMO, unnecessarily snarky, but that is just me (and I guess foulpole).

Again, I hope this is not in reference to MY comment in the game thread. I think my comment in the game thread was a very objective observation about what he looks like now and what to expect from Gonzo going forward. I think making the observation that he is totally toast is totally relevant, because the front office is going to continue to keep taking heat for letting him go. So I for one am NOT EVER going to shy away from pointing out anything that supports that they made the right decision.

And thats the bottom line.
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think making the observation that he is totally toast is totally relevant, because the front office is going to continue to keep taking heat for letting him go. So I for one am NOT EVER going to shy away from pointing out anything that supports that they made the right decision.

And thats the bottom line.

AMEN to that Shoe!

Burnt crumbs and all!!
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of preferentail treatment.

If a guy is good in the community, or shows that he is a team player, we praise him for that (we basically kissed Shawn Greens ass for 2 weeks when he was traded, and didnt say a bad word about anyone). I dont think anyone will refute that gonzo has done alot for the public in charity and the like.

But, If a guy is being a pain, i think we SHOULD point it out.

Point im trying to make is that i think the goal of any "INFORMED" fan is to try to point out the good or bad bout EVERYONE, without BIAS (as much as possible).
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of Gonzo's past contributions, and until he displayed his prima donna "I'm bigger than the team" colors in July, I was a card-carrying Kool-Aid drinking member of his "Face of the Franchise" club.

It does trouble me a bit when we attempt to dictate what acceptable and unacceptable opinions are on a particular topic or player. It seems to have had a somewhat chilling effect on today's gameday thread.

jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

Point im trying to make is that i think the goal of any "INFORMED" fan is to try to point out the good or bad bout EVERYONE, without BIAS (as much as possible).

Yes, good point. That's the reason I prefer this board (mostly to read and occasionally post) and not the mlb one.

I'm also a huge fan of Gonzo, but the key word is that he was a big contributor to this franchise, but players get older and obviously abilities decline. Willams was another case in point back in 03.

I applaud the FO to have the courage to do the right thing and let Gonzo go. It's a business and the FO felt that this was best for the team.

Can't wait to see the line-up in '07.
tmar
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with TAP on this one. I like all of you guys but I somehow feel that alot of my remarks during the gameday thread will now be inappropriate to some of you now.

Hey this used to be "The baseball forum that doesn't suck".
1golfer1
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a business...AND a sport... how 'bout when players leave via FA? that's a pisser, too. whaddya gonna do? wait till spring, see who's here, and root like mad! Smile
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
I'm with TAP on this one. I like all of you guys but I somehow feel that alot of my remarks during the gameday thread will now be inappropriate to some of you now.

Hey this used to be "The baseball forum that doesn't suck".

Hey, we're all adults here (I assume). Post what you think, and if anyone has a problem with it, they can ignore your posts.

I think this has probably gone farther than FP intended. I think--and I don't want to put words into his mouth--FP simply meant to say that, in his opinion, the "bashing" has gone beyond reasonable criticism of Gonzo's play, and that "we" were piling on for the sheer pleasure of bashing a guy we knew wasn't coming back anyway. I don't recall any such statements regarding Shawn Green, and "we" bashed him far worse than "we" have been bashing Gonzo.

This thread is going nowhere fast, and in my opinion, the sentiments expressed here are going to fester and cause a lot of self-censorship that we never needed to practice before, and shouldn't need to practice now. FP vented, and "we" have had our say in response. Let's move on. I vote that this thread be locked, and let's go on our merry way--bashing Estrada. Twisted Evil
Catharsis
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
It's one of those pics that are in such poor taste thaat they actually work. Great reply Mike

I have to say, I'm colorblind, and I thought the seal was just spotted. But my wife thinks it's covered in blood. For that, I'm sorry. I found humor in the picture of a seal about to get clubbed, not one or two blows in.

But I still think it's funny.
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I for one am NOT EVER going to shy away from pointing out anything that supports that they made the right decision.

So we have to hear it AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.

You have the right to post what you want. I have the right to say that the repetition is STUPID STUPID STUPID. The censorship here is not by fp and me (I said you can post what you want), but by the people who think that fp and I cannot say that we don't like the constant repetitive Gonzo bashing.

The fact is that foulpole is right as to whether these cheap shots add to the value of the board. The constant attacks on Gonzo show a bias. In evaluating an argument, readers should take bias into account. The prejudice against vets has become obvious. If the goal is to convince, then you are being counterproductive not only for Gonzo but for all your arguments.

You may now resume your continued Gonzo bashing whenever he makes an out (which happens less often than most players).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: