Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Padres Problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Jeff Moorad interested in bringing Bob Melvin to the Padres

Looks to be a done deal:
Quote:
SAN DIEGO -- Bob Melvin, let go last month as the manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks, will accept an unspecified position with the Padres, possibly as soon as Wednesday.

Melvin was in San Diego on Monday and Tuesday meeting with Padres team officials, including general manager Kevin Towers.

It's not known if Melvin -- relieved of his duties May 8 after spending the past four-plus seasons in Arizona -- will be an advisor to Towers or a consultant.

Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Melvin could be in line for a job perhaps as a roving consultant for the team's minor league system.

Since when is there a Proven Veteran Presence(TM) in the minors?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
sb24ws2005
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston Traded to Athletics

Quote:
The Padres sold high on Hairston -- who was hitting .299 with 10 home runs and 29 RBIs -- because, as general manager Kevin Towers said afterward inside an empty clubhouse, "we're looking for some good arms."

"That's the one thing we lack in our system is pitching depth," Towers said, noting the lack of higher-level arms in the system. "We really didn't want to give up Scotty. But for us, this is a move looking beyond this year."

That wasn't anything Hairston wanted to hear. He choked up when talking to reporters, especially when asked about his time in San Diego that began, ironically, in another July trade, this time in 2007 when he was acquired from the D-backs.

DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar Gonzalez hit in head, hospitalized

Quote:
Gonzalez immediately fell to the ground clutching his head after he was hit by Jason Hammel's 93 mph fastball near the left ear hole on his batting helmet. After several minutes, Gonzalez was helped to a cart by the team's two trainers and driven off the field.

Manager Bud Black said he was told by the trainers on the field that Gonzalez was "conscious, he was lucid and he knew what happened. But he was extremely dizzy and his ears were ringing."

Black said Gonzalez had gone to a hospital for tests but the results would not be known until Sunday.

Best wishes to Edgar. Let's hope it's not serious and that it didn't cause any long-term issues.
...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Latos was called up and will be starting today

Josh Fields was the roster casualty.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb24ws2005 wrote:

Quote:
The Padres sold high on Hairston -- who was hitting .299 with 10 home runs and 29 RBIs -- because, as general manager Kevin Towers said afterward inside an empty clubhouse, "we're looking for some good arms."

"That's the one thing we lack in our system is pitching depth," Towers said, noting the lack of higher-level arms in the system. "We really didn't want to give up Scotty. But for us, this is a move looking beyond this year."

That wasn't anything Hairston wanted to hear. He choked up when talking to reporters, especially when asked about his time in San Diego that began, ironically, in another July trade, this time in 2007 when he was acquired from the D-backs.

Also something I just found out about today, that Sean Gallagher was the player to be named in the deal.

At least we got Leo Rosales though...
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... Sean Gallagher...

Kevin Towers really did well on this deal.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
sb24ws2005 wrote:

Quote:

Also something I just found out about today, that Sean Gallagher was the player to be named in the deal.

At least we got Leo Rosales though...

that's the Dback philosophy. Happy trading partners.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Cafardo / The Boston Globe in Sunday morning's edition wrote:
A bigger disaster are the Padres as a result of their ownership mess, which was finally resolved in part when Jeff Moorad was named the new chief executive officer. John Moores is still in the picture as chairman but will gradually go away. When Moorad finally gets his entire group in, hes not expected to be a deep-pockets owner, either. With not much going on in their farm system, the Padres can likely expect a few more years of doormat status, but no worries, their new promotion of Sunday breakfast on the field at Petco Park should keep the fans coming, right?
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Nick Cafardo wrote:
Sunday breakfast on the field at Petco Park should keep the fans coming, right?

Breakfast on the field?

Ernie Capadino: Hey cowgirls, see the grass? Don't eat it.

Laughing
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Latos and Aaron Poreda are going to be a deadly 1-2 punch in a couple of years. Kyle Blanks is also starting to swing well at the major league level. The Padres system is not one that's teeming with prospects like the previously named BabyBacks, but you have to respect the job the FO is doing over there on the rebuilding process. Saving more than a bit of money by spending an astronomically low amount on salary while building up a solid store of young guys who might not be the most coveted out there, but seem to be guys who will be able to contribute a fair amount at the Major League level.

It will be interesting to watch from here on out, especially with the club positioned in such a way that if Strasburg fails to sign with the Nationals, they would be able to scoop up the SD native. Now a rotation of Latos - Poreda - Strasburg - veteran Chris Young - Correia/Gaudin/etc seems just downright intimidating.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
It will be interesting to watch from here on out, especially with the club positioned in such a way that if Strasburg fails to sign with the Nationals, they would be able to scoop up the SD native. Now a rotation of Latos - Poreda - Strasburg - veteran Chris Young - Correia/Gaudin/etc seems just downright intimidating.

Not to mention if Sean Gallagher can recover from his injury, and Clayton Richard is probably a better option going forward than Correia or Gaudin anyways.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
SheriffWannaBe wrote:

Not to mention if Sean Gallagher can recover from his injury, and Clayton Richard is probably a better option going forward than Correia or Gaudin anyways.

Of course, of course. Sean Gallagher's a big wild card right now, though; I still think he has the potential to be the #2 or #3 starter most projected him out to be, there's just a large risk he won't get there right now.

Oh, and I'm a big Richard fan, but I've always had a soft spot for Chad Gaudin. Don't ask me why, but he's one of those guys I've always really wanted to see succeed, and over his last 8 or so starts, minus I think one in the middle somewhere, he's been stellar for the Pads.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
baldmaga wrote:
SheriffWannaBe wrote:

Of course, of course. Sean Gallagher's a big wild card right now, though; I still think he has the potential to be the #2 or #3 starter most projected him out to be, there's just a large risk he won't get there right now.

Oh, and I'm a big Richard fan, but I've always had a soft spot for Chad Gaudin. Don't ask me why, but he's one of those guys I've always really wanted to see succeed, and over his last 8 or so starts, minus I think one in the middle somewhere, he's been stellar for the Pads.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I assume your fanboyishness stems from that waterfall of beard he has going on lately.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
I assume your fanboyishness stems from that waterfall of beard he has going on lately.

Nope. Dates back to his Oakland days.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my scouting report for the Padres for the next issue.

Clayton Richard former MICHIGAN QB is in their rotation Shocked
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:

Yup. Was one of the four arms in the Peavy trade. He's got solid mid-rotation potential, especially pitching in Petco.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:

Yup. Was one of the four arms in the Peavy trade. He's got solid mid-rotation potential, especially pitching in Petco.

Seven innings one hit the Dodgers tonight Shocked
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:

The lefty sinkerballer had it going on tonight. Also got 13 groundouts to go along with that one hit.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:

The lefty sinkerballer had it going on tonight. Also got 13 groundouts to go along with that one hit.

Damn Shocked
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padres ax Kevin Towers. Paul DePodesta rumored to be the front runner as his replacement.

SAN DIEGO -- Kevin Towers, the longest-tenured general manager in the major leagues, has been fired by the San Diego Padres, sources confirmed Friday night to ESPN The Magazine senior writer Buster Olney.

The Padres said CEO Jeff Moorad will address the media Saturday afternoon. Moorad didn't return a phone call, e-mail and text message seeking comment from The Associated Press.

Towers, in his 14th season as Padres GM, told the AP in an e-mail that he couldn't comment on his situation. He is under contract through next season at approximately $2 million.

Kevin Towers, in his 14th season as the Padres' general manager, is under contract through next season at approximately $2 million.

Under Towers, the Padres won four NL West titles and reached the 1998 World Series, where they were swept by the Yankees.

The Padres are 74-85. Coming off a 99-loss season in 2008, they have rebounded with a strong final two months, thanks in part to moves by Towers. Since July 28, they are 36-23, fourth-best in the major leagues in that span.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like its going to be Paul DePodesta.
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Looks like its going to be Paul DePodesta.

Classic Moorad. Sign a competent GM then force him to sign terrible players.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought JM said Depo wasnt a candidate.

http://twitter.com/FollowThePadres/status/4587952290
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
I thought JM said Depo wasnt a candidate.

http://twitter.com/FollowThePadres/status/4587952290

To be fair, JM also called Russ Ortiz a proven winner.

Also, that is the most annoying background ever.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: