Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gonzo Targeting San Diego??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigCat
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP, again...I don't think he is being that negative. This is not like TO bashing the Eagles. Outside of Phoenix, no one really cares about Gonzo.

C'mon a San Diego reporter obviously asked him something like. " Hey will you miss your old team, and how do you think they will do without you?" And then followed up with “How would you feel about signing with the Padres in the offseason?”

If he answered with the quotes in this thread, how was he trash talking, or being negative?

Would you expect him to say..."The Padres organization blows, and I would never play here".

Hell, if a Colorado reporter asked him 3 months ago, or even last year what he thought about the Rockies organization, and would he consider playing for the Rockies if he was a free agent , I bet you would have gotten similar answers.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCat, it's just a little thing called honor and loyalty to those you work for. If the Diamondbacks were a client of mine, you wouldn't see any negative thoughts from me regarding the organization posted here.

Maybe I'm letting a bit of military training bleed through and this is just too much to expect this from professional athletes, but I don't think so.

He could have gotten the same emotional release by waiting another couple of weeks before venting.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP, would you feel the same about the "loyalty" aspect if you knew your employer was going to sever ties with you in two weeks?
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
TAP, would you feel the same about the "loyalty" aspect if you knew your employer was going to sever ties with you in two weeks?

Absolutely.

BTW, AZ is still paying his paycheck and honoring him in spite of his lessened skills by playing him every game, when playing the rookies would be better for the team long-term.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in turn, earlier in Gonzo's tenure with the Dbacks, his performance was at a level much higher than what he was being compensated for.

I don't find anything that Gonzo is saying to be particularly offensive. I was in a situation recently where I knew my present employer no longer wanted my services (a layoff notice with a specific date was issued), and I wasn't shy about contacting competing agencies and trying to interest them in my services. Was I still receiving a paycheck from my current employer? Technically, yes (though I knew it wouldn't be for very much longer). Did I feel guilty about trying to transition myself into a different situation? Nope, not in the slightest.

Loyalty is a two way street. My former employer, as well as the AZ Dbacks, need to look out for their best interests. I think Gonzo and I would both agree on that. But that does mean that the two of us shouldn't make looking out for our interests a top priority. Not many people work 50 years for the gold watch and pension from one employer anymore. And, save for the occasional Ripken or Gwynn, not many baseball players toil their entire career for the same team. It's business, and I think all sides realize that and accept the fallout from it.
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, there's a world of difference between talking to potential new employers or giving the press negative sound bites about your current team.

One is watching out for your business interests. The other is petty sour grapes.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP, I just don't see where anything Gonzo is saying in the press is "dumping on" or "sour grapes."

“Plus I would get an opportunity to play against my former team. That is a huge thing. Why wouldn’t it be? This is the team that said they don’t need you any more.”

Is there anything untrue in that statement? He would play against the Dbacks, and they have said they don't want him anymore

“The direction this team (D-Backs) is going, it’s going to be good. It’s not going to be good tomorrow or overnight. It’s going to take a while. They have a great number of young players, and it is going to take a while for them to develop,” Gonzalez said.

"I might be proved wrong," Gonzalez said. "I just like the direction the Padres are going. I am impressed by the job they've done the last few years."

This one is more a matter of personal opinion. He doesn't say the Dbacks are on the wrong track. He says they are heading in the right direction. His opinion is just that, in 2007, he'd rather take his chance with a team of veterans. Of course, he's biased, but he goes out of his way to qualify his statement with "I might be proven wrong." If that's talking smack, then I guess we differ on the term.
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I'm not sure what else I can say that I haven't said. The press bites were self-serving, vitriolic (we can disagree on the degree), and unnecessary. He should have been a bigger man and waited two weeks until he hung up his Diamondbacks uniform if he felt the need to vent publicly.

That's all I have to say 'bout that.
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what is Gonzo's likely reaction if the organization makes comparable statements about him?
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert S. wrote:
And what is Gonzo's likely reaction if the organization makes comparable statements about him?

shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert S. wrote:

Give it time.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: