Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gonzo Targeting San Diego??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Gonzo's arm, could you imagine how many triples to right there would be? Why don't they trade for Green and play him in CF?
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
The justification that Sabean GAVE to Bud for hosting the 07 All Star Game were the fears he had of losing a large number of season ticket holders with Bonds no longer on the team.

That may be true, but it was also before Bonds hit enough homers this year to make it likely that he'd break the record in '07.

If there's a reasonable chance that Barry will break the record in '07--and he's only 23 shy now--SF will bring him back, regardless of what Sabean told Selig.

And I specifically said that Gonzo-to-SF wasn't likely, but if you look at the old folks Sabean has signed in recent years (including Finley), factor in Gonzo's apparent interest in staying on the west coast, and look at the lack of other options for him, I wouldn't be surprised, either.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzo in LF at Petco would draw a lot of talk about doubles alright - the doubles he gives up in LF. I really hope he doesn't overlook AL clubs for spite. His best position is DH and he could help a lot of AL teams. He has zero value as a role/bench player. If he's in the NL, he should be platooned, which he doesn't want to do.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would depend on who is running the show in San Diego. Gonzalez is totally a Kevin Towers kind of player, but there is talk that Towers is on his way out. Paul DePodesta is a special assisatant to Padres CEO Sandy Alderson, so if DePo somehow slides into the GM job, I'm not sure if Gonzo would still be on the Pads radar.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's Trib article on this subject. I didn't put in quotes, because it makes the print smaller.

Gonzo likes San Diego
By Jack Magruder, Tribune
September 21, 2006
SAN DIEGO — Luis Gonzalez started in left field at Petco Park again Wednesday and would not mind if it became permanent.

Gonzalez identified San Diego as perhaps the top team on his wish list among possible landing places in 2007.

“This is definitely one of them for me,” said Gonzalez, speaking publicly about his future options for the first time since the Diamondbacks told him they don't want him back next season.

Plus I would get an opportunity to play against my former team. That is a huge thing. Why wouldn’t it be? This is the team that said they don’t need you any more.”
Gonzalez, 39, will re-enter the free agent market this winter for the first time since 1997, when he signed a two-year, $4.05 million contract with Detroit.

The Tigers appear to be the only one of his former teams he's not interested in.
“Atlanta is good. Both Chicago teams. Houston,” Gonzalez said, listing other top choices.
“I’m just looking at good scenarios. I mean, I want to go somewhere where I have a chance to win.”

Gonzalez has said he would prefer to remain in the NL West, and he might be a good fit in San Diego, where Dave Roberts has started in left field this season. Roberts signed a one-year, $2.25 million contract while avoiding arbitration after San Diego traded for Mike Cameron to play center field.

The Padres are expected to pick up Cameron’s $7 million option for 2007 but do not seem as committed to Roberts, who will become a free agent this winter. San Diego won the NL West last season and would make the postseason if the 2006 season ended today. Gonzalez seems to believe it will take the D-Backs a year or two to get to that level.

“The direction this team (D-Backs) is going, it’s going to be good. It’s not going to be good tomorrow or overnight. It’s going to take a while. They have a great number of young players, and it is going to take a while for them to develop,” Gonzalez said.

If Gonzalez is to stay in the NL West, San Diego appears the best available option. Gonzalez does not see himself in San Francisco, where Barry Bonds could be re-signed as he chases Hank Aaron’s career home run record. Los Angeles and Colorado have young, promising left fielders in Andre Ethier and Matt Holliday, respectively.

The market has increased appreciably since 1997, but Gonzalez said it is too early to think about contract numbers.

“Basically, we have to see what the market is. If there is a team that really needs your services, then everything changes,” he said.

“I have to go through the process and see who is out there feeling me out. I’m not going to rush through it. I haven’t been in this situation in a long time.”

If Gonzalez enters the free agent market, he will join an outfield class that could include Bonds, Moises Alou, Jeromy Burnitz, Jim Edmonds, Torii Hunter, Carlos Lee, Gary Sheffield and Alfonso Soriano.

Burnitz signed for $6.7 million with Pittsburgh as a free agent last offseason. Brian Giles signed a three-year, $30 million contract with San Diego.

Jacque Jones signed a three-year deal with an average value of $5.33 million, and Juan Encarnacion and Reggie Sanders signed contracts averaging $5 million a year.
========================================

I'll cheer him and say thankyou on October 1st. But if he keeps talking smack like this I will boo the heck out of him when he comes back to play against the D backs.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. He needs to STFU and GBTW.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
“The direction this team (D-Backs) is going, it’s going to be good. It’s not going to be good tomorrow or overnight. It’s going to take a while. They have a great number of young players, and it is going to take a while for them to develop,” Gonzalez said.

Sour grapes. Come on Gonzo, you're a bigger man than that.
TAP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzo also took a dump on the Diamondbacks while sucking up to the Padres in this interview last night with the San Diego Union-Tribune:

Tom Krasovic / San Diego Union-Tribune wrote:
Over the last two years, Arizona's farm system has received high rankings from media outlets that attempt to rate prospects. The Diamondbacks might be in the midst of a promising youth movement, but veteran left fielder Luis Gonzalez said he thinks San Diego is more likely than the Diamondbacks to earn a playoff berth in 2007.

"I might be proved wrong," Gonzalez said. "I just like the direction the Padres are going. I am impressed by the job they've done the last few years."

Well gosh, Gonzo, why wait? Maybe the Pads have an extra uniform you can wear tonight? Rolling Eyes
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you monsters already forgotten about his triplets?
TAP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert S. wrote:

...and his doublets that used to be homelets. Wink
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if the Dbacks knock the Padres out of the playoffs over the next several days. That would be so sweet... especially if Gonzo knocks in the game winner in the elimination game...

Speaking of Gonzo, Todd Jones seems to be in love with him... Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Gonzo a true champ
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all true.

He still needs to shut up with the sour grapes routine though.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Speaking of Gonzo, Todd Jones seems to be in love with him... Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Todd Jones should be arrested for having those handlebars.

Nice article though.

Last edited by matt on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as well as Gonzo did in the press conference, you could just tell how bitter he was, and will likely remain for the next few years. He was probably thinking to himself, "They've got to want to keep me if I'm leading the league in doubles. Not only should they keep me, but I deserve it. For all I've done for this franchise."
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert S. wrote:

Can see Gonzo promoting the SD lifestyle to his triplets, and getting them excited about their potential new home. They love their toys and having fun outdoors. What better place than SD to do that!
Dangerfield
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonz brought most of it on himself. He's still a great hitter, but he needs to be relegated to the bench against lefties and moved down the line-up, so the kids can take charge, and can develop, using his words. You can't usurp management either ever. Even the getting managment to tip their hand, is embarrassing to Byrnes. Jones may think its great respect, its not, its sour grapes.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that he isn't a great hitter anymore. He still walks so he gets on base at a very nice rate but his power is just gone. Despite his 52 doubles, he still ranks 15th out of 21 qualified LFs in SLG. BFD on the doubles, the rest of the LFs can hit one out of the park. His AB/HR is unacceptable.

Sadly, his offensive value is still better than Byrnes. I just hope that DaVannon can stay healthy and keep Byrnes benched a little more often.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Come on Gonzo, you're a bigger man than that."

Is he?

Ditto the 'thanks for the memories day at the park', and ditto the 'get the fuck out of town' as soon as the game is over.
BigCat
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are going overboard with the Gonzo bashing. What do you want him to say? He has been told to go find another job, and that he is not gonna be a Diamondback----period. In a sense he is being fired...he is a lame duck right now. He has every right to start looking elsewhere, and who gives a shit if he wants to play in SD, or if he is reading a magazine about San Diego? I believe he would probably do better than Dave Roberts in LF.

C'mon---Gonzo leaving AZ is a business decision. Baseball is a business. If i got laid off, or was given my 2 weeks and still felt I could do better than others at my job, I would be a little bitter too, and I sure as hell wouldnt be shy about going to look for new work.

The other thing I don't understand, is why is the majority of the board OK with Byrnes in LF.....and not Gonzo? Byrnes is having a fluke year, and is unlikely to repeat his numbers again next year. Why not Hairston? What long term future do Byrnes and Davanan have here....if we are going with the young guys, Hairston deserves a chance as much as Young and Quentin. I don't really see a difference in "Byrnes blocking Hairston next year" and "IF Clark had blocked Jackson this year".
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCat wrote:
I think you guys are going overboard with the Gonzo bashing. What do you want him to say? He has been told to go find another job, and that he is not gonna be a Diamondback----period. In a sense he is being fired...he is a lame duck right now. He has every right to start looking elsewhere, and who gives a shit if he wants to play in SD, or if he is reading a magazine about San Diego? I believe he would probably do better than Dave Roberts in LF.

C'mon---Gonzo leaving AZ is a business decision. Baseball is a business. If i got laid off, or was given my 2 weeks and still felt I could do better than others at my job, I would be a little bitter too, and I sure as hell wouldnt be shy about going to look for new work.

The other thing I don't understand, is why is the majority of the board OK with Byrnes in LF.....and not Gonzo? Byrnes is having a fluke year, and is unlikely to repeat his numbers again next year. Why not Hairston? What long term future do Byrnes and Davanan have here....if we are going with the young guys, Hairston deserves a chance as much as Young and Quentin. I don't really see a difference in "Byrnes blocking Hairston next year" and "IF Clark had blocked Jackson this year".

Actually, if you go back and re read the thread from the beginning, while there is a general consensus, rightfully so, that Gonzo would not do so well in a park notoriously difficult for left handed "sluggers", there was no "Bashing" going on....UNTIL

The subsequent quotes from Gonzo basically trash talking......

He keeps talking about coming back and hurting the d backs....

He keeps talking about how the kids are not ready yet.....

He keeps talking about the direction of the two organizations.....

hey...thats his right...but he is trash talking, make no mistake about it. And if he is going to do that, he is going to get bashed and trash talked right back.

As far as Byrnes....I think if you read around a bit more, you will also see quite a few posters that are willing to see and even hoping to see the organization sell high on Byrnes as well. Everyone here is WELL aware of the nature of Byrnes season and production. So that point is a bit of a mischaracterization of the "group think" around here.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with byrnes in LF, they can sit him against strong RHP.

with gonzo in LF, they CANNOT sit him against any LHP. he won't be a part time player. byrnes will.

and, ugly as byrnes's defense is, it's an improvement. (i shuddered typing that.)

if it was my team, it'd be hairston out there, but his defense is being questions by those on this board who see him everyday -- they believe he's not ready for LF. and everything i've heard says he's a nice kid, and a genius with a bat, but a moron with a glove. i've heard that this isn't a situation where extra practice is really going to change a lot -- he's just incompetent with the glove.

also, jackson was a PROSPECT. hairston is a prospect. i still think this team is dicking around hairston too much, and has thoroughly destroyed his trade value, but at least it's not one of the "real" prospects. i know that's a bad way to think about it, but it's how i see it. if they dicked around q or drew or young like they're dicking hairston, well, i'd have probably burned down the bob already.
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
BigCat wrote:

Actually, if you go back and re read the thread from the beginning, while there is a general consensus, rightfully so, that Gonzo would not do so well in a park notoriously difficult for left handed "sluggers", there was no "Bashing" going on....UNTIL

The subsequent quotes from Gonzo basically trash talking......

He keeps talking about coming back and hurting the d backs....

He keeps talking about how the kids are not ready yet.....

He keeps talking about the direction of the two organizations.....

hey...thats his right...but he is trash talking, make no mistake about it. And if he is going to do that, he is going to get bashed and trash talked right back.

...and all the while wearing a Diamondbacks uniform. Josh Byrnes did Luis a favor by honoring Luis' request (demand?) that he be told his fate before the season's end. Had Josh denied Luis' request and conducted business as normal, rendering his decision after the season ended, Gonzalez would never have had the chance to bash his current team while wearing their uniform.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Had Josh denied Luis' request and conducted business as normal, rendering his decision after the season ended, Gonzalez would never have had the chance to bash his current team while wearing their uniform.

It's little more than a manipulative way to play upon general fan dissatisfaction with his departure. For someone that supposedly was good at PR, he has handled the media very badly as a reaction to his declining skills and loss of his "face" status.

Despite his sniping, the organization DID show him respect and expressed the wish that he continue to work with the Dbacks after his playing days are over.
BigCat
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think you guys are pile-ing on a bit. I hardly call this "trash talking".

"It’s not going to be good tomorrow or overnight. It’s going to take a while. They have a great number of young players, and it is going to take a while for them to develop,” Gonzalez said.

I suppose he should have said. "I bet they win the World Series next year and repeat the following year" He was simply giving his opinion, and I think most would agree that it is fairly accurate, especially if we don't get some pitching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I might be proved wrong," Gonzalez said. "I just like the direction the Padres are going. I am impressed by the job they've done the last few years."

Again...he should be impressed, and like the Padres...they give older guys a chance to play---like Gonzo, and they won the division last year, and will likely make the playoffs this year.

And as far as wanting to face his former team, that is just human nature. You think Johnny Damon gets a little more pumped vs. the Red Sox? Does Frank Thomas enjoy the homers a little more vs. the White Sox?
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCat, do you think it might have been a little more professional of Luis to honor the respect that Josh bestowed on him (telling him before season-end as Luis requested) by with-holding any negative comments until he's done wearing the AZ uniform?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: