Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thanks to those who have served and are serving...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Thread hijack?

Not any more so than usual for the DBBP... Wink
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War hero helps nab suspects in dog killing

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30136615

Quote:

A highly decorated Navy SEAL who found his beloved yellow Labrador retriever shot dead outside his home helped capture the alleged gunmen following a high-speed chase through three counties.

Marcus Luttrell stayed on the line with a 911 operator as he tried to catch the fleeing suspects during the 40-mile chase that reached speeds of over 100 mph.

"I told them, 'You need to get somebody out here because if I catch them I'm going to kill them,'" Luttrell said he told the operator, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last UK veteran of WWI trench battles dies at 111
Quote:

LONDON – Harry Patch, Britain's last survivor of the trenches of World War I, was a reluctant soldier who became a powerful eyewitness to the horror of war, and a symbol of a lost generation.

Patch, who died Saturday at 111, was wounded in 1917 in the Battle of Passchendaele, which he remembered as "mud, mud and more mud mixed together with blood."

Quote:
His most vivid memory of the war was of encountering a comrade whose torso had been ripped open by shrapnel. "Shoot me," Patch recalled the soldier pleading.

The man died before Patch could draw his revolver.

"I was with him for the last 60 seconds of his life. He gasped one word — 'Mother.' That one word has run through my brain for 88 years. I will never forget it."

When he was wounded, Patch said he was told that the medics had run out of anesthetic, but he agreed to go ahead with surgery to remove shrapnel from his stomach

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090725/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_obit_patch

Some pretty powerful memories in that article. RIP
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/17/monti.medal.of.honor/index.html

Quote:
As rocket propelled grenades flew past his head, Monti got on the radio to call for backup. Sgt. Clifford Baird was on the other end of the line.

"We could start hearing the RPGs and the small arms fire, and then that's when we started getting the calls over the radio to start giving them indirect fire support," says Sgt. Baird. "Just needed as much firepower as we could give them and as fast as we could give it. ... I would definitely say he was calm. Definitely knew how to stay calm under fire."

In between his calls for help, Monti was using his own rifle to engage the enemy. Suddenly he noticed that a young private named Brian Bradbury was badly wounded, unable to move, desperately exposed to enemy fire. Another sergeant said he would run out and try to save Bradbury, but Sgt. Mark James heard Monti say no.

"I remember him saying that Bradbury was his guy, so he was going to be the one to go get him back and bring him back to us," says James.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very somber moment early this morning.

Obama salutes fallen soldiers
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy veterans day to any dbbp members who are serving or have served.
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
Happy veterans day to any dbbp members who are serving or have served.

x2

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For TAP, a soldier's dog is happy to have him back.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1924708
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so awesome Matt.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War dogs remembered, decades later

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/02/12/war.dogs/index.html?hpt=T2

Quote:
(CNN) -- Maybe it was the sound of the wind cutting through the wire. Perhaps he caught a small vibration with his keen eyes. Or it could have been a slight difference in the air's smell.

Whatever it was, when Sarge noticed that his Marine Corps handler, Fred Dorr, was creeping down the wrong path in the Vietnam jungle, the German shepherd did something he'd never done out in the field: He looked at Dorr and barked, before taking a seat.

"When he sat down, I knew there was a trip wire. I was one step away from it," remembered Dorr, who with his dog in 1969 was "walking point," leading the way for a dozen soldiers. Had the hidden explosive device been tripped, "It would have gotten half of us."
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
War dogs remembered, decades later

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/02/12/war.dogs/index.html?hpt=T2

Quote:
(CNN) -- Maybe it was the sound of the wind cutting through the wire. Perhaps he caught a small vibration with his keen eyes. Or it could have been a slight difference in the air's smell.

Whatever it was, when Sarge noticed that his Marine Corps handler, Fred Dorr, was creeping down the wrong path in the Vietnam jungle, the German shepherd did something he'd never done out in the field: He looked at Dorr and barked, before taking a seat.

"When he sat down, I knew there was a trip wire. I was one step away from it," remembered Dorr, who with his dog in 1969 was "walking point," leading the way for a dozen soldiers. Had the hidden explosive device been tripped, "It would have gotten half of us."

Nice link! It amazes me how much animals can help us and in particular military/police applications. Back in the day when I was haze gray and underway we did work with a group of seals (Uncle Sam employed) that worked with dolphins (not ex-dback employed, but rather the actual nautical mammal variety) The dolphins can detect the underwater mines just like canines can on land. They can lead the divers to the mines to either disable them or mark them for the ships to avoid when getting close to land for amphibious assault operations. It was cool to have dolphins in a pool that was put together in our well deck to hold them.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. Marine Walks Away From Shot to Helmet in Afghanistan
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
U.S. Marine Walks Away From Shot to Helmet in Afghanistan

Those guys do stuff every day i cant even imagine.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly amazing.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2869375/20-Taliban-blown-up-by-their-own-bombs.html

Quote:
Up to 20 are thought to have died planting Improvised Explosive Devices.

They were racing to plant the IEDs before the Allied offensive Operation Moshtarak. The triggers on the IEDs have become so sensitive the terrorists are accidentally detonating them as they hide them.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2869375/20-Taliban-blown-up-by-their-own-bombs.html#ixzz0goArQRso

That's what they get for planting those chickenshit devices.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughest Man Alive

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/25/us/25howard.html

Quote:
As related in “Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty,” by Peter Collier, Sergeant Howard was knocked unconscious by an exploding mine. When he came to, his eyes were bloodied and his hands injured by shrapnel that had also destroyed his rifle. He heard his lieutenant groaning in pain a few yards away. He then saw an enemy soldier with a flamethrower burning the bodies of American and South Vietnamese soldiers who had just been killed.

Sergeant Howard was unable to walk, but he threw a grenade toward the soldier with the flamethrower and managed to grab the lieutenant. As he was crawling with him toward shelter, a bullet struck his ammunition pouch, blowing him several feet down a hill. Clutching a pistol given to him by a fellow soldier, Sergeant Howard shot several North Vietnamese soldiers and got the lieutenant down to a ravine.

Taking command of the surviving and encircled Green Berets, Sergeant Howard administered first aid, encouraged them to return fire and called in air strikes. The Green Berets held off the North Vietnamese until they were evacuated by helicopters.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brad-wilmouth/2009/12/25/brian-williams-marks-passing-most-decorated-modern-war-hero-colonel-r

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=robert-lewis-howard&pid=137763250

Quote:
Retired Col. Robert Lewis Howard , a man considered to be the country's most decorated soldier, died Wednesday. He was 70. Howard was battling pancreatic cancer and died about noon at a hospice, his friend Benito Guerrero, a Vietnam veteran and retired sergeant major, told the San Antonio Express-News. The Army veteran died in Waco, according to Oak Crest Funeral Home. At the time of his death, he was the most decorated American soldier, the funeral home obituary said. He will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors. No date has been set, the funeral home said. Howard grew up in Opelika, Ala., and served in the Army from 1956 to 1992. He was part of the U.S. Army Special Forces, known as the Green Berets, and ran cross-border operations in Laos, Cambodia and North Vietnam. He was wounded 14 times in Vietnam and was awarded eight Purple Hearts. He was nominated three times for the Medal of Honor, the nation's most prestigious award for combat veterans. President Richard Nixon presented him with the honor at the White House in 1971 for his bravery in Vietnam during a mission to rescue a missing soldier in enemy territory. During that mission, the platoon was attacked. Howard tended to his wounded platoon leader while under fire and rallied platoon members into an organized defense force until rescue helicopters could land. "With complete disregard for his safety, 1st Lt. Howard crawled from position to position, administering first aid to the wounded, giving encouragement to the defenders and directing their fire on the encircling enemy. For 3½ hours 1st Lt. Howard's small force and supporting aircraft successfully repulsed enemy attacks and finally were in sufficient control to permit the landing of rescue helicopters ," according to his Medal of Honor citation. His other two nominations were downgraded, one to the Distinguished Service Cross, the other to the Silver Star. At a gathering earlier this year for Medal of Honor recipients, Howard said he and others given the medal don't wear their awards for themselves. "It is for all those who have and do wear the uniform of this great country of ours," he told the crowd. "For those who stood beside us and for those who did not come home." In April, Howard traveled to Iraq and Afghanistan to talk to troops. About two months ago, he visited troops in Germany, Bosnia and Kosovo, the Express-News reported. "As one of America's most decorated veterans, Col. Howard inspired everyone he met to consider their own commitment to our nation's essential values, and was the bravest soldier I ever met," Gov. Rick Perry said in a statement. Howard is survived by his children, Denicia Howard of Florida; Melissa Gentsch and her husband, Assistant Police Chief Frank Gentsch of Waco; Rosslyn Howard of California; and Robert Howard Jr. and wife, Tori, of California.

Colonel Robert. L. Howard Tribute
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A story on snopes.com prompted me to look up taps on youtube, purely spur of the moment... try and get thru this with a dry eye...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38wx8C7VmB4

In honor of the Veterans of all British and American wars.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met an 88 year old woman (I think I am right about the age) who took care of the marines who came back blind from the pacific. She said many of them were blind from the flame throwers. She helped teach them braille and how to function with out sight. her husband worked in an ammunition plant on the other side of the country. I spent about 20-30 mins with her listening to her story. It was good to hear and I feel I left a better person after talking to her.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: