Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thanks to those who have served and are serving...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a troop....and a republican!
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:

Nobodys perfect! Wink
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:

Nobodys perfect! Wink

We know, we know. That's why we tolerate you leftys. Razz Razz Razz
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phxchris1989 wrote:
Wow, I'm not going to stick around here much, seeing as how I'm the only Republican on here (probably) but I will say one thing. People need to quit using "remember the troops" as political leverage. I've seen so called "leftards" say they love the troops, when they're only using troop deaths as another excuse to bash (Insert something in the Government here )

If you think I'm making this is up, I got it from a Marine when I lived in Jacksonville,NC. His words, not mine: "You say you support us, how about you report some of the victories we've had, how many terrorists we've killed, but instead, just all our deaths"

It sucks that this had to turn into politics, but I'm not surprised at all with such a democratic presence. I usually don't like talking politics as it always turns into a "My dick is bigger" contest, but I feel I had to say something.

Howdy! You're not alone on this board. Get your feet wet, get comfy. If you want to get involved in the political discussions, great. This is the message board that doesn't suck for a reason. Everyone who posts here that chooses to get involved in the off topic political threads are good folks voicing their opinions. (You and I know the leftys are wrong of course) but as long as the discussions are on issues, they are a good group of folks.

Name calling juvenile shit that happens on other boards doesn't fly here. Well, honestly I can't say that I've ever seen anybody try that here. Post your opinions, be respectfull, and you'll fit right in.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Jack Lucas

Quote:
Jack Lucas, who at 14 lied his way into military service during World War II and became the youngest Marine to receive the Medal of Honor, died Thursday in a Hattiesburg, Mississippi, hospital. He was 80.....
He was left with more than 250 pieces of shrapnel in his body and in every major organ, and he endured 26 surgeries in the months after Iwo Jima.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to be a bloodbath., fallen soldier told father
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buchenwald liberator, American hero dies at 83

Quote:
"There were thousands of bodies piled high. I saw hearts that had been taken from live people in medical experiments,"

RIP Mr Hoyt.
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qudjy,

The original intent of this thread is accepted with great humility, and it is a pleasure and an honor to serve this country of ours.

I am going to put my Airman hat on now, I usually take it off when on this board, because as a citizen/Airman, I am allowed my personal views, and vote accordingly.

But for this thread, right now, they really don't apply.

Justin:

To 'end the war immediately', without ensuring that the Iraqi government is capable of handling the situation themselves would, especially in the eyes of the Iraqis and other middle eastern people, would do much more damage to our reputation and standing in the middle east than just about anything else. These people over there, they don't think the same as you and me. For us, sometimes there is honor in walking away. For those people, there isn't. Ever. I'm sure you've heard of 'an eye for an eye'. That's how those people are. I don't really want to say that they are less evolved than we are, but they definitely see things differently than we do.

By the way, the two Koreas are still at war. Granted, it's a cease-fire situation, but the war, technically, is still going on. They just haven't fired too many shots at each other since 1953. Being stationed at Kunsan Air Base at one time, every one in a while, a 'fishing trawler' would get a little too close, and when they fired that howitzer, the whole base heard it.

I'm not surprised we didn't find any WMDs. But I am also amazed at people who said there never were any WMDs. There were, Saddam used them on the Kurds. We gave him so much notice, he had plenty of time to ship them out of the country, more than likely through Syria. It's not much of a stretch to figure that one out.

DirtyGary:

I'm not one of those who signed up post 9/11. 23 years next month. At least two more, but unsure after that. I've been deployed to Operations JOINT ENDEAVOR and DENY FLIGHT (Bosnia, don't be amazed, Italy is awesome at an extra $60 per day), and ENDURING FREEDOM. I did not have the pleasure of deploying for DESERT SHIELD/STORM, nor for IRAQI FREEDOM. Also deployed from Alaska when the nKoreans got a little froggy back in '03.

I originally joined because I needed something to do, and I wasn't too motivated to apply to colleges, even though a juco baseball scholarship dropped in my lap after I had already signed up. But where I'm from, even when the US economy is balls to the wall strong, back in SE Kansas, well, there still isn't much opportunity.

But I got lucky, and fell right in where I actually needed to be all along. Funny how things work out, I found who I was and what my purpose was in life, and pretty much by accident.

I can see how some folks would think that just pulling out now, or at any time would be fairly easy, but it isn't. Also, pulling out now would be a grevious mistake. Especially since now we are actually making the kind of progress we should have made all along. The troop surge and the awakening are not independent of each other. Sure, the awakening started a little before the surge, but it would not have succeeded without it, and it grew because of the surge, as once the Iraqi people saw that we were following through with the surge, the awakening fed off of that, and the Iraqi people could see that we weren't going to leave the job half finished. But now that the progress is finally coming, now isn't the time to end our involvement.

There are times, especially around the time that AQ was beheading reporters, I was thinking that these people have absolutely no respect for human life, and that I thought that they did not deserve our help. At that point, I was more than willing to turn the whole middle east into a parking lot. My plan, in my head, was pull our troops out, load up every bomber we had, and nuke the fuckers.

I am sure that when the milestones are met, we'll begin some kind of a draw-down, but I'm pretty sure we'll have a semi-permanent presence, in one way or another. Keep in mind that it took several years to get the West German and Japanese govenrment set up and stable, and we still have a military presence in both countries.

That ends the pointed, personal replies to things I've read in this thread, now back to generalities.

The original intent of this thread was for Qudjy to thank and honor those people who serve this country in the Armed Forces.

To that I say thank you for acknowledging what we do.

I get thanked all of the time. Usually when I stop somewhere on my way home, or when folks find out through casual conversation. Sure is a different mentality than what I heard about back in the 60s/70s.

What I would like to ask, is that if you know a Vietnam vet, please, seek them out and thank them. They went through a much different time than what I have, at the time their efforts were not appreciated. Please, find one, thank them, for without those men and women, I would not be able to do what I do today.

Your thanks and support are greatly appreciated, and it is an honor to serve all of you, and this great country of ours.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this article today while waiting for a haircut. Im not ashamed to say - i was fighting back tears pretty hard.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/154908

Quote:
The Tragic Bonds of War
As a fellow soldier, I share a special connection with my patients. When one dies, I lose a piece of myself.

Here at the 86th Combat Support Hospital in Iraq, we see death every day. Those who die, even here in a combat zone, die with a piece of us. They take a piece of our lives with them.

By Jason Cohen

TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son emailed me THIS LINK from Iraq this morning. He says it's a pretty accurate portrayal. Fallujah was the area that previously saw some of the most violent combat in all of Iraq. You have to read it all the way to the end to fully grasp what the writer saw first-hand in his visit earlier this year and what the Marines on the ground experience every day.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,446140,00.html

Quote:
ANNAPOLIS, Md. Retired Marine Col. John Ripley, who was credited with stopping a column of North Vietnamese tanks by blowing up a pair of bridges during the 1972 Easter Offensive of the Vietnam War, died at home at age 69, friends and relatives said Sunday.

Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Veteran's Day to all those who have and are serving!

A sobering story by a WWII medic who was held in a concentration camp: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/11/11/acevedo.pow/index.html

God bless him.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
Happy Veteran's Day to all those who have and are serving!.

x2
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Oden wrote:
Happy Veteran's Day to all those who have and are serving!.

x2

x3
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
A sobering story by a WWII medic who was held in a concentration camp: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/11/11/acevedo.pow/index.html

God bless him.

An amazing story. Wow.

Why would the government want to silence those U.S. servicemen who were prisoners? That doesn't make sense to me...
TAP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISCIPLINE
Sandy Alderson is the CEO of the San Diego Padres, but before he became a huge success in the front offices of Major League Baseball, he learned much of what he knows about life as a Marine Corps company commander in Vietnam. Alderson's father was an Air Force pilot, and Alderson served in Vietnam for eight months and also posed for a military recruitment poster. He has said that he first learned leadership and teamwork from his military service, and those experiences continue to shape him today.

SACRIFICE
How great was Ted Williams, widely considered the best hitter of all time? Well, it's impossible to answer because Williams' love for his country famously won out over his love of baseball. Williams served as a United States Marine Corps pilot during World War II and the Korean War, and as a result, the Splendid Splinter lost nearly five prime years of his career. That's why he "only" hit 521 career home runs and maintained a lifetime batting average of .344.

"Whether serving the country in the Armed Forces or excelling on the baseball diamond, Ted Williams demonstrated unique talent and love of country," President George W. Bush said after Williams' passing in 2002. "He inspired young ballplayers across the Nation for decades, and we will always remember his persistence on the field and his courage off the field. Ted gave baseball some of its best seasons -- and he gave his own best seasons to his country."

COURAGE
One of the most heartwarming baseball stories in recent memory is that of Cooper Brannan, a right-handed pitcher who signed a contract with the San Diego Padres and attended Spring Training camp in 2007. Brannan served with the Marines in Iraq and lost a finger and badly injured his non-pitching hand in a grenade explosion. He has not given up on baseball, however, and he pitched in 17 games for the Class A Eugene Emeralds in 2008.

"I never figured when I was in Iraq that I'd be given this opportunity again, coming back from there," Brannan said after signing with the Padres. "I looked at my hand injury and I said, 'This is nothing. I've got nothing to worry about.' My injury was far less worse than most. I picked up and I started working out again and started striving to do better."

PERSEVERANCE
Angels owner Arte Moreno grew up in Tucson, Ariz., as the oldest of 11 children and was drafted into the U.S. Army a year after graduating from high school. He served from 1966-68 in Vietnam, did a lot of "soul searching" there and said in a 2004 interview with USA Today: "If anybody went to Vietnam and told you they weren't scared, those are the ones you have to worry about." He returned two years later, attended the University of Arizona and joined the professional world in the field of advertising. Thirty years later, Moreno had become a billionaire billboard magnate who purchased the Angels from Disney to become the first Latino franchise owner in a major American sports league. So far, he has yet to go to the White House with a World Series champion -- the Angels won it all the autumn before he bought them -- but he has met with President Bush and said, "I wanted to talk about his trip to Iraq on Thanksgiving Day. It was emotional for me. I was in Vietnam and saw Bob Hope."

PRIDE
Phillies closer Brad Lidge was 41-for-41 in save opportunities in 2008 and struck out Eric Hinske for the last out of the World Series. In the midst of such a victorious season, however, he found time to pay his respects to the military. Every time he enters a ballgame, he does so to the strains of a song called "Soldiers," which was written by the rock band Drowning Pool to honor our troops. "I have so much respect for what they've done," Lidge told MLB.com. "I'll always support the troops, because they pay the ultimate price. That's as honorable an occupation as you can have."

Doug Miller / MLB.com
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

SACRIFICE
How great was Ted Williams, widely considered the best hitter of all time? Well, it's impossible to answer because Williams' love for his country famously won out over his love of baseball. Williams served as a United States Marine Corps pilot during World War II and the Korean War, and as a result, the Splendid Splinter lost nearly five prime years of his career. That's why he "only" hit 521 career home runs and maintained a lifetime batting average of .344.

"Whether serving the country in the Armed Forces or excelling on the baseball diamond, Ted Williams demonstrated unique talent and love of country," President George W. Bush said after Williams' passing in 2002. "He inspired young ballplayers across the Nation for decades, and we will always remember his persistence on the field and his courage off the field. Ted gave baseball some of its best seasons -- and he gave his own best seasons to his country."

As much as I love John Wayne movies, Teddy BallGame was the man in real life that Wayne portrayed on screen.
TAP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surgeon, a D-Backs doctor, sent to Afghanistan
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:

God bless him.

A Follow up story

Quote:
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- For 63 years, Martin Vogel longed for information about how his only brother -- his best friend and a fellow U.S. soldier -- died in World War II.

Bernard "Jack" Vogel died in a Nazi slave camp in the arms of fellow U.S. soldier, Anthony Acevedo, in 1945.

1 of 3 more photos He knew that Bernard "Jack" Vogel had tried to escape from a Nazi prisoner-of-war camp, but the details were sketchy. Martin was so devastated after the war, he didn't ask too many questions. But as time passed, his thoughts often drifted to his brother.

"A month doesn't go by that it doesn't come up in the course of my own thoughts," said Martin Vogel, now 82. "But to me, it's always there: What if this? Why didn't he do this? And what happened to him? And that's what bothered me."

The Boston resident read an article last week on CNN.com about Anthony Acevedo, a World War II medic who was among 350 U.S. soldiers held in a Nazi slave camp called Berga an der Elster, where dozens of soldiers were beaten, starved and killed. Less than half survived captivity.

In the piece, Acevedo mentioned a soldier by the name of Vogel who died in his arms. Listen as Acevedo tells Martin Vogel: "I had him in my arms"

For the first time in his life, Martin Vogel was about to learn the truth about his brother's death. By week's end, he would also learn about his uncle's undying love for his brother -- and what he believes is the ultimate betrayal by the country his brother died for, the United States of America.

"You don't know how much this means," Martin Vogel said between sobs. "You don't know how much this means."

TAP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas wish for a 3 year old girl
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,466028,00.html
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:

God bless him.

A follow-up. The Army will now be honoring those who were enslaved by the Nazis.: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/slave.camp.honor/index.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TAP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA TODAY wrote:
Thousands of vets at Miami VA center at risk of HIV infections

Thousands of veterans who underwent certain routine medical procedures at Miami's VA Medical Center since 2004 are at risk of being infected with hepatitis or HIV, The Miami Herald reports.

John Vara, the center's chief of staff, says the risk of infection is low, but that "any risk is unacceptable," the newspaper reports.

It was discovered three weeks ago that some water pumps used during colonoscopies and gastrointestinal procedures were being rinsed but not disinfected, The Herald says. This, Vara says, creates the slight chance that back-flow from the pumps could lead to serious or potentially deadly infections.

The Herald says about 3,260 vets underwent the procedures using this type of pump since May 2004 and that the VA has sent letters to about 2,500 of them, who are still in the area, urging them to get blood tests. The VA is trying to locate the other 700.

The VA also says 1,800 veterans treated at a clinic in Augusta, Ga., were alerted they could have been exposed to an infection due to improper disinfection of an instrument.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
USA TODAY wrote:
Thousands of vets at Miami VA center at risk of HIV infections

Thousands of veterans who underwent certain routine medical procedures at Miami's VA Medical Center since 2004 are at risk of being infected with hepatitis or HIV, The Miami Herald reports.

John Vara, the center's chief of staff, says the risk of infection is low, but that "any risk is unacceptable," the newspaper reports.

It was discovered three weeks ago that some water pumps used during colonoscopies and gastrointestinal procedures were being rinsed but not disinfected, The Herald says. This, Vara says, creates the slight chance that back-flow from the pumps could lead to serious or potentially deadly infections.

The Herald says about 3,260 vets underwent the procedures using this type of pump since May 2004 and that the VA has sent letters to about 2,500 of them, who are still in the area, urging them to get blood tests. The VA is trying to locate the other 700.

The VA also says 1,800 veterans treated at a clinic in Augusta, Ga., were alerted they could have been exposed to an infection due to improper disinfection of an instrument.

Given the remarkably good job that the VA has done in providing medical care to our veterans, by golly, let's have ALL health care in this country be provided by the government! Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
Given the remarkably good job that the VA has done in providing medical care to our veterans, by golly, let's have ALL health care in this country be provided by the government! Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Rolling Eyes

Thread hijack?

Is the Augusta Clinic a VA?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: