Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Prior to the Pads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmar
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Prior to the Pads Reply with quote

There are multiple sources reporting the Pads & Prior have put together a 1 year contract. No details on $$ yet.

One link
XB3
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to go on the DL for Padres, news at 10.
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good- that's one team that we can be assured of that one of their starters will be on the DL the majority of the season (if past history indicates any trends here)
tmar
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 1 million + incentives this is a pretty good contract. Didn't we spend about twice this amount last year on one outing of Kim?

Even if he only provides 1/2 year of decent work from the BP it's a solid contract.
Ryan
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
For 1 million + incentives this is a pretty good contract. Didn't we spend about twice this amount last year on one outing of Kim?

Even if he only provides 1/2 year of decent work from the BP it's a solid contract.

Exactly. This is a no-lose for the Pads. Best case scenario: he magically regains 2003 form and gives the Pads a legit #3 behind Peavy and Young. Worst case: it's $1m gone and a permanent resident on the team's DL.

Note: I seem to recall articles on ESPN.com in recent weeks with Prior's agent saying they had "lots of interest" and were "sorting through the offers." Even though he did previously say they wanted just a one-year deal to "re-establish Prior's market value," this contract, at just $1m, would seem to indicate that there really wasn't much interest in Prior and his rebuilt shoulder at all.
allstar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great investment by the Padres.
At most, they'll lose some money, in the best case scernerio, he gives them good 20~25 starts. Remember, this guy (Mark Prior) has some filthy stuff.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids. Shoulder injuries = BAD

I'd be shocked if the Padres get more out of Prior than the Red Sox got out of Wade Miller a few years back.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/millewa04.shtml
tmar
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91 innings of a 92 ERA+ for 1 Mill would be a bargain at today's salary levels.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who are they going to get next, Rich Harden Rolling Eyes big deal...
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody get the idea that the Padres just don't have much of a plan this offseason? I'm not saying the Prior signing was bad, but it's not the kind of move you plan on. Ditto with the Wolf signing, and Edmonds isn't exactly the poster boy for durability.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmar wrote:
91 innings of a 92 ERA+ for 1 Mill would be a bargain at today's salary levels.

really? first, he'd probably make more than $1m, and second, that's edgar production for 2 1/2 time the cost, at least. that's not a bargain.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:
Anybody get the idea that the Padres just don't have much of a plan this offseason? I'm not saying the Prior signing was bad, but it's not the kind of move you plan on. Ditto with the Wolf signing, and Edmonds isn't exactly the poster boy for durability.

that's what happens when your top 3 pitching prospects have TJ surgeries, you only have one solid position prospect who's blocked at his natural position (3b), and you cry poverty on top of everything else...

their plan this offseason, just like any other offseason, has been dumpster diving. a lot of teams' trash has been the padres' treasure.
Tucson DBacks Fan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else the Padres have been very active this offseason. Rolling Eyes
azentropy
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the incentives are reasonable, it looks like a great deal for a the Padres. Either he is a bust and they are only out $1MM or he gives them much more and the most they are out is $5.5MM.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azentropy wrote:
If the incentives are reasonable, it looks like a great deal for a the Padres. Either he is a bust and they are only out $1MM or he gives them much more and the most they are out is $5.5MM.

But the same could be said for all the other garbage the Pads signed this offseason. What Lev said about one man's trash is true.

Robert Fick, Jeff DaVanon, Jim Edmonds (Cards didn't want him), Shawn Estes, Glendon Rusch, Randy Wolf, and Carlos Guevara. Only transactions they have made that haven't involved some of the trash/treasure theory was Tad Iguchi and resigning Jake Peavy.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
azentropy
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheriff27 wrote:
azentropy wrote:

But the same could be said for all the other garbage the Pads signed this offseason. What Lev said about one man's trash is true.

Robert Fick, Jeff DaVanon, Jim Edmonds (Cards didn't want him), Shawn Estes, Glendon Rusch, Randy Wolf, and Carlos Guevara. Only transactions they have made that haven't involved some of the trash/treasure theory was Tad Iguchi and resigning Jake Peavy.

None of those players, well maybe Edmonds 10 years ago, even come close to Prior in terms of ability. Prior was, and maybe still even is, a special talent and is well worth taking that type of chance on.

There isn't too big difference between the Pads taking a chance on Prior vs. what WE are taking a chance on RJ - other than Prior has been out longer - RJ gets $13MM guaranteed - and oh Prior is 27 and RJ is 44.

Levski is right, shoulder injuries are bad (it is what ended my playing days for both baseball and tennis) - probably the only harder injury to come back from is A BACK INJURY.

I agree as far as the Pad's other moves I don't really get. But the Prior deal makes sense.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this site, with a post on Prior's mechanics. The guy hates them. So did Mike Marshall, for whatever that's worth...

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics.html

I think Prior is a mess. I'd be SHOCKED if the Padres get more out of him than the Cardinals got out of Mark Mulder in 2007. Forget Wade Miller.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azentropy wrote:
Sheriff27 wrote:
azentropy wrote:

None of those players, well maybe Edmonds 10 years ago, even come close to Prior in terms of ability. Prior was, and maybe still even is, a special talent and is well worth taking that type of chance on.

There isn't too big difference between the Pads taking a chance on Prior vs. what WE are taking a chance on RJ - other than Prior has been out longer - RJ gets $13MM guaranteed - and oh Prior is 27 and RJ is 44.

Levski is right, shoulder injuries are bad (it is what ended my playing days for both baseball and tennis) - probably the only harder injury to come back from is A BACK INJURY.

I agree as far as the Pad's other moves I don't really get. But the Prior deal makes sense.

I know it's not your central point, sp please excuse me for picking nits.
Jim Edmonds was a GREAT ball player as recently as 2004, and still very good in 2005.

He had a 5 year run from 2000-2004 with OPS+ of

He has a career OPS+ of 133, and he played Centerfield the entire time. There are only about 7-8 centerfielders with a better career OPS+, and a case can be made that he is an all time top 10 centerfielder.

Mark Prior has had exactly one full season in which he was great. I know he was hurt a lot, but staying healthy enough to remain in the game is part of the entire picture.

Edmonds doesn't just come close to prior in ability, he FAR surpasses him, and he was great very recently.

Ok...again...sorry for nit picking.

Embarassed
azentropy
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
azentropy wrote:
Sheriff27 wrote:
azentropy wrote:

I know it's not your central point, sp please excuse me for picking nits.
Jim Edmonds was a GREAT ball player as recently as 2004, and still very good in 2005.

He had a 5 year run from 2000-2004 with OPS+ of

He has a career OPS+ of 133, and he played Centerfield the entire time. There are only about 7-8 centerfielders with a better career OPS+, and a case can be made that he is an all time top 10 centerfielder.

Mark Prior has had exactly one full season in which he was great. I know he was hurt a lot, but staying healthy enough to remain in the game is part of the entire picture.

Edmonds doesn't just come close to prior in ability, he FAR surpasses him, and he was great very recently.

Ok...again...sorry for nit picking.

Embarassed

No problems, you are correct. I wasn't being literal when I said "10 years ago". I should have winked Wink

I agree with you on Edmonds. He was a great player and one of my personal favorites. Even without the offensive numbers I would consider him a great player on just his defense. Unlike someone all near and dear to us, Edmonds hustle in the field is/was always 100% legit. Wink He would get my HOF vote. However, he is 37 and I don't think he has much left and there is little chance of him returning to early 2K form. As a baseball fan he is one of the guys I would root for though...
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree he is probably done.

I just worry he pulls one of those late career great seasons out of his ass that formerly great ballplayers sometimes do when you are sure they past the point of no return in their decline phase.
Dewberry
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allstar wrote:
This is a great investment by the Padres.
At most, they'll lose some money, in the best case scernerio, he gives them good 20~25 starts. Remember, this guy (Mark Prior) has some filthy stuff.

maybe the Padres will consider putting Prior in the bullpen for some long relief
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think his arm will hold up pitching that much? (warming up, maybe every other day in a week sometimes, not knowing when he is pitching)

low risk high reward for the PADS....

it works out for them, they look like they were the smartest team in baseball

if not they no loss to them, and they both move on....

my bet is on the latter
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3328

Quote:
Padres released RHP Mark Prior.

Prior hasn't picked up a baseball since April due to lingering discomfort in his shoulder and has not appeared in a major league game since August of 2006. The 28-year-old has a 3.51 career ERA.

Well, so much for that.
Dbacks should sign him to a minor league contract... Laughing
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like retirement is coming soon.

Thats really too bad. A shame.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really sucks to see a talent like Prior get taken away by injuries.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: