Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dbacks add Dan Haren... and now trade him to the Angels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
So it looks like we won the trade, eh ?

won it by a line drive
theguyonthecouch
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

won it by a line drive

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dipoto is obviously a genius.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

won it by a line drive

Maybe we should wait until after Saunders makes his first start...

Mitch: So, Curly - hit anybody with a line drive today?
Curly: Day ain't over yet...
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIDEO OF HAREN'S INJURY
JoshByrnesWhenIPee
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Good article from David Cameron about Haren's trade value.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/why-mlb-teams-arent-big-dan-haren-fans/

Interesting comment on that article:

Quote:
CircleChange11 says:
July 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Given Haren’s performance over the 2nd half of 2009 combined with the 1st half of this year, there is definately something “going on”.

His control numbers are better (+K, – BB), but his “getting hit” numbers are way up to. As strange as it sounds, I wonder if he is “in the zone” too often? … or at the very least when he misses his spot, he misses in the zone, as oppossed to out of the zone. So, if he is trying to locate his slider on the outside corner, he misses over the middle of the plate, instead of missing 5 inches off the corner? That’s the difference between “control” and “command”. Missing out of the zone results in a ball, missing over the plate results in a well-struck ball.

It really does make me wonder if there is some concern about Haren and injury and/or deterioration. If that be the case, that would result in AZ having 2 well-paid guys struggling to pitch.

I think Haren will rebound, but I also note that of Haren’s prevoius 6 WAR season, I’d bet 4.5 (at least) of that came in the 1st half.

Combining 09′s 2nd half with ’10′s 1st half, you probably have a 3WAR pitcher (still market value). I believe the concern is that he’s on the downslide, perhaps from pitching so many innings (6 straight 200+ ip seasons).

If you keep him while the downslide continues, you get even LESS for him in trade.

Haren’s performance will definately be worth watching. But, what we’re seeing is simply not “a bad half of a season”. There’s a little more to it.

THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Verducci at SI.

One team source said before the Angels obtained Haren that Amaro had been keeping an eye on the Yankees' bid for Haren because the Phillies discussed sending Werth to the Yankees in a deal for Haren.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/07/27/phillies.deadline/index.html?eref=writers#ixzz0utwe7UGK
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshByrnesWhenIPee wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
Good article from David Cameron about Haren's trade value.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/why-mlb-teams-arent-big-dan-haren-fans/

Interesting comment on that article:

Quote:
CircleChange11 says:
July 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Given Haren’s performance over the 2nd half of 2009 combined with the 1st half of this year, there is definately something “going on”.

His control numbers are better (+K, – BB), but his “getting hit” numbers are way up to. As strange as it sounds, I wonder if he is “in the zone” too often? … or at the very least when he misses his spot, he misses in the zone, as oppossed to out of the zone. So, if he is trying to locate his slider on the outside corner, he misses over the middle of the plate, instead of missing 5 inches off the corner? That’s the difference between “control” and “command”. Missing out of the zone results in a ball, missing over the plate results in a well-struck ball.

It really does make me wonder if there is some concern about Haren and injury and/or deterioration. If that be the case, that would result in AZ having 2 well-paid guys struggling to pitch.

I think Haren will rebound, but I also note that of Haren’s prevoius 6 WAR season, I’d bet 4.5 (at least) of that came in the 1st half.

Combining 09′s 2nd half with ’10′s 1st half, you probably have a 3WAR pitcher (still market value). I believe the concern is that he’s on the downslide, perhaps from pitching so many innings (6 straight 200+ ip seasons).

If you keep him while the downslide continues, you get even LESS for him in trade.

Haren’s performance will definately be worth watching. But, what we’re seeing is simply not “a bad half of a season”. There’s a little more to it.

He sort of loses credibility by not knowing how to spell definitely. He could be 12 years old.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:

He sort of loses credibility by not knowing how to spell definitely. He could be 12 years old.

How does misspelling one word remove credibility from his argument? He's commenting on an internet site, not delivering a thesis. Im sure we've all spelled a word or two wrong from time to time on here, the key is to have a logical and coherent post and i think his qualifies as that.

In no way does anything he's written remotely suggest he could be 12. He makes a perfectly valid argument IMHO and one that could very well point to the cause of Haren's struggles from the second half of last season onwards

Last edited by Colt-Back on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get how misspelling a word removes credibility...

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
TAP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
FatLeprechaun wrote:

How does misspelling one word remove credibility from his argument? He's commenting on a internet site, not delivering a thesis. Im sure we've all spelled a word or two wrong from time to time on here, the key is to have a logical and coherent post and i think his qualifies as that.

In no way does anything he's written remotely suggest he could be 12. He makes a perfectly valid argument imho and one that could very well point to the cause of Haren's struggles from the second half of last season onwards

The statement was so bizarre that I have a hard time believing FatLeprechaun could possibly have been serious.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Godwins Law. Laughing
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:

Now we know what FatLeprechaun means when he says, 'Mark my words.' It's a red pen that's doing the marking. Laughing
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

The statement was so bizarre that I have a hard time believing FatLeprechaun could possibly have been serious.

lets just hope he was joking.
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately wasn't joking.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Todd Walsh says Jerry DiPoto is going to be in the booth in the third, and Waslh says we’ll get “some clarity on why Haren is gone."

Todd Walsh's Twitter.

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
pete25
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Quote:
Todd Walsh says Jerry DiPoto is going to be in the booth in the third, and Waslh says we’ll get “some clarity on why Haren is gone."

Todd Walsh's Twitter.

What did he say?
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete25 wrote:
Jdub wrote:
Quote:

Todd Walsh's Twitter.

What did he say?

Nothing useful.
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Haren says he "should be on track" for his next start
D.J. Short Jul. 27, 2010, 9:18 PM ET
Leave a comment

The Angels continue to fade in the American League West, but they received some good news about their newest acquisition Tuesday.

According to Ramona Shelbourne of ESPNLosAngeles.com, not only did X-rays on Dan Haren's forearm came back negative, the right-hander said he "should be on track" to make his next scheduled start against the first-place Rangers on Saturday.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/dan-haren-says-he-should-be-on-track-for-his-next-start.php

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterx wrote:
Dan Haren says he "should be on track" for his next start
D.J. Short Jul. 27, 2010, 9:18 PM ET
Leave a comment

The Angels continue to fade in the American League West, but they received some good news about their newest acquisition Tuesday.

According to Ramona Shelbourne of ESPNLosAngeles.com, not only did X-rays on Dan Haren's forearm came back negative, the right-hander said he "should be on track" to make his next scheduled start against the first-place Rangers on Saturday.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/dan-haren-says-he-should-be-on-track-for-his-next-start.php

That is good news. I hope Dan does well.
Tucson DBacks Fan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Diamondbacks announced they were going to make some changes in the team, I was thinking they were going to get rid of some of the ineffective bullpen pitchers, some of the hitters who strike out all the time and can't get hits in clutch situations, hitters who can't hit, pitchers who can't pitch. I thought they'd get rid of some of those kind of folks then they surprise me and Dan Haren, the best pitcher on the team, is the first to go. I would rather they had just kept him than trade him for the guys they got back from the Angels. They arealready losing a lot of salary for next season. How big a dump do they need to take?
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They took the phrase shit or get off the pot too literally. They just better not half-ass their blowing up of the team. If they come into next season with some more "we intend to contend" bullshit after trading their #1 they can suck on it. I really do hope they drop payroll to $40MM next year and do a true blow up between now and spring training. That's the only way I can respect and support the current ownership. Otherwise, I'll not be following them until ownership changes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
They took the phrase shit or get off the pot too literally. They just better not half-ass their blowing up of the team. If they come into next season with some more "we intend to contend" bullshit after trading their #1 they can suck on it. I really do hope they drop payroll to $40MM next year and do a true blow up between now and spring training. That's the only way I can respect and support the current ownership. Otherwise, I'll not be following them until ownership changes.

X2
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Oden wrote:

X2

X3
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 49 of 50

Jump to: