Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Padres Outfield
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Padres Outfield Reply with quote

Interesting Article

Their options are dwindling. There was an earlier report they were going to ask Scott Hairston to be ready to play CF if necessary.

It looks like Hairston is finally going to get his shot, one way or the other, either in Left or Center, he seems primed to get 500 at bats. If he can stay healthy of course, which he has never been able to do either.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think they'll just push harder for Kosuke Fukudome and continue to refuse to sign Mike Cameron.

An OF of Giles/Lane LF, Hairston CF, Fukudome RF? could be worse. I just hope Fukudome chooses elsewhere than the NL West, otherwise JB's push for Hiroki will be THAT MUCH stronger
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
Adam
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Padres Outfield Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Interesting Article

Their options are dwindling. There was an earlier report they were going to ask Scott Hairston to be ready to play CF if necessary.

It looks like Hairston is finally going to get his shot, one way or the other, either in Left or Center, he seems primed to get 500 at bats. If he can stay healthy of course, which he has never been able to do either.

I'm glad he'll finally get a shot. But at the same time, I wish it wasnt in the division. So hard to root for a guy in a Padre uniform.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, somehow I missed that Giles also had micro fracture surgery.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

Adds to his ever decreasing speed.

That little tidbit i think brings this current outfield from a C to a C-.

They'll be giving everything they've got for Fukudome. I just hope if he goes there that he's a bust.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

I did too.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

budjy1 wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

I did too.

must've been really micro
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
budjy1 wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

I did too.

must've been really micro

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to a bar in Gilbert last night to watch the fight and I saw Hairston in the entry way. I don't think he ended up going in because it was absolutely packed. I should have asked him if he reads the board.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheriff27 wrote:
I personally think they'll just push harder for Kosuke Fukudome and continue to refuse to sign Mike Cameron.

Sounds about half right... Wink

Center fielder Mike Cameron won't be returning to the Padres, his agent confirmed. Cameron, who hit 21 home runs last season and has won three Gold Gloves, is suspended for the first 25 games of next season after testing positive a second time for a banned stimulant.

Chicago Tribune
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they just got Edmonds, does that mean Hairston is now thier 4th outfielder? Then again I cant think of who is in right for them.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know his timetable on the knee injury, but assuming he is able to go, Giles will be in RF, and Edmonds in CF.

Hairston will probably play LF
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Sheriff27 wrote:

Sounds about half right... Wink

Center fielder Mike Cameron won't be returning to the Padres, his agent confirmed. Cameron, who hit 21 home runs last season and has won three Gold Gloves, is suspended for the first 25 games of next season after testing positive a second time for a banned stimulant.

Chicago Tribune

It sounds 100% right to me hahaha

They DID push harder for Kosuke. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately for us?) The Chub decided to go to town w/ Alfonso Soriano-like money thrown at Kosuke.

That's gonna be a hilarious OF in 2011 -- a 35 y/o Soriano and a 34 y/o Kosuke Fukudome

Anyhow, CF in PetCo just became THAT much easier to hit in w/ Cameron gone, as although Jimmy Boy still has the flashy leather, his speed is a sliver of what it used to be.
Adam
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we have some Hairston fans. This is from the Mailbag yesterday:
Quote:
As the Padres search for a solution to their outfield problems, they hardly ever mention Scott Hairston, who I thought did a very good job for us last year. Why is he being viewed as the fourth outfielder or a platoon player?
-- Stuart M., San Diego

You're right to some degree, Stuart, Hairston does get overlooked. He'll play a prominent role in their plans in 2008, playing left field and some center field to spell Jim Edmonds. I can see him getting 300-350 or so at-bats. The team wants a left-handed hitter to platoon with him because Hairston is much better at hitting left-handed pitching than right-handed pitching. The guy also has a knack for coming up with big hits. I can count at least three since he was acquired in July from the Diamondbacks, who nearly made a colossal mistake in trading him to a team in its own division that was pushing for a postseason spot.

link
TAP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam wrote:
I know we have some Hairston fans. This is from the Mailbag yesterday:
Quote:
As the Padres search for a solution to their outfield problems, they hardly ever mention Scott Hairston, who I thought did a very good job for us last year. Why is he being viewed as the fourth outfielder or a platoon player?
-- Stuart M., San Diego

You're right to some degree, Stuart, Hairston does get overlooked. He'll play a prominent role in their plans in 2008, playing left field and some center field to spell Jim Edmonds. I can see him getting 300-350 or so at-bats. The team wants a left-handed hitter to platoon with him because Hairston is much better at hitting left-handed pitching than right-handed pitching. The guy also has a knack for coming up with big hits. I can count at least three since he was acquired in July from the Diamondbacks, who nearly made a colossal mistake in trading him to a team in its own division that was pushing for a postseason spot.

link

ouch
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Hairston has hit righties better than lefties the last two seasons. The two seasons before that he hit lefties much better, but he has not had an OPS belwo .800 vs Righties in any of the last 3 seasons.

Does this look like a guy that should be platooned to you?

OPS
Code:

Year   Vs LHP    Vs RHP
2007   689         801  (MLB)
2006   874        1074  (PCL)
2005  1396         835  (PCL)
2004   932         652  (MLB)
Adam
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys never gonna get a real shot. Seems anyway. They should trade him (out of the division please)
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt really really like Hairston to get a shot. IMO, he diserves it. Just not on the Padres please... I have images of a Hairy Redemption.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceannsaich wrote:
I wouldnt really really like Hairston to get a shot. IMO, he diserves it. Just not on the Padres please... I have images of a Hairy Redemption.

do your visions look something like this?
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Ok, um...sure lol. Im glad someone knew I was joking though lol
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceannsaich wrote:
Shocked Ok, um...sure lol. Im glad someone knew I was joking though lol

hahaha you said a HAIRY redemption...no? Wink
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madres just signed Jeff DaVanon...

link

This signing poses the age of question of, "who really cares?"

I'm guessing it was a minor league deal, considering they say in that article that he will be "invited to Major League camp." Guess his market value makes Quentin's look golden.
TAP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Krasovic / San Diego Union-Tribune this morning wrote:
Scott Hairston, for the first time in his career, enters the exhibition season as the favorite to win a starting outfield job.

Manager Bud Black said Hairston gained the “inside track” by bashing eight home runs in 87 at-bats with the Padres last season. Black said the door is also open to Jody Gerut, Paul McAnulty, Jeff DaVanon and Chip Ambres. However, going into today's intrasquad game, General Manager Kevin Towers said “Hairston is the front-runner.”
A 6-foot, 200-pounder who appears as fit as an Olympic boxer, Hairston prepared by working out at a “performance institute” in Tempe, Ariz.

“I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity,” said the 27-year-old, who spent a month on the disabled list last summer because of an oblique strain.

He said he is far more suited to this big chance than the only other time a club put him in a similar position. Attempting to establish himself as a rookie with the Diamondbacks in 2004, he survived as a hitter, batting .248 with 13 home runs in 339 at-bats. He was, however, badly miscast as a second baseman. After witnessing 11 errors and other miscues in 83 starts, the Diamondbacks moved him to the outfield in 2005.

“It's definitely better for me in left field,” Hairston said. “I think I'm ready to handle everyday duty in left field.”

Home runs by Hairston gave the Padres two victories in the NL West pennant race. Another blast proved critical to a comeback victory. And in the 13th inning of the 163rd game, Hairston's tiebreaking two-run home run off Jorge Julio put the Padres three outs from a playoff berth before the Rockies rallied to win.

When Red Sox analyst and author Bill James dug further into Hairston's performance, he discovered more gold.

“Hairston hit five home runs in clutch situations for the Padres in 2008,” Bill James wrote in the “Bill James Gold Mine 2008.” “That's pretty remarkable, considering that he wasn't acquired until July 27 and later spent four weeks on the DL. All told, he was on the active Padres roster for only 36 games. Even so, his five clutch homers would have been enough to lead most other teams.”

Said GM Kevin Towers: “This kid just needs an opportunity. He's got a lot of sock in his bat, and he's a very good athlete. The key for Scotty is staying healthy. If he can stay healthy for a full season, he's capable of putting up good numbers.”

FULL STORY HERE
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Tom Krasovic / San Diego Union-Tribune this morning wrote:

Said GM Kevin Towers: “This kid just needs an opportunity. He's got a lot of sock in his bat, and he's a very good athlete. The key for Scotty is staying healthy. If he can stay healthy for a full season, he's capable of putting up good numbers.”

FULL STORY HERE

The key is landing on a desert island with the Olsen twins. If I can do that, I'm capable of doing a lot of scoring.
TAP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padres, Hairston avoid arbitration
Outfielder agrees to one-year deal worth $1.25 million
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: