Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
It's Official--Gonzo's Gone!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: It's Official--Gonzo's Gone! Reply with quote

From the AZ Republic:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0914gonzo.html

Quote:
Luis Gonzalez will not return to the Diamondbacks next season and will become a free agent, The Republic has learned.

Gonzalez, 39, met for 90 minutes over breakfast Thursday morning at a Scottsdale resort, at which time he was informed the team has no plans to bring him back for a ninth season in 2007.

He will be in uniform tonight when the Diamondbacks meet the Colorado Rockies at Chase Field, and most likely will meet with reporters beforehand to discuss his future and his eight seasons in Arizona.

Thank you, JB!
Hock
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision, handled with class.
JoshByrnesWhenIPee
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the memories, Gonzo.
Stuart
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, have mucho respect for the guy, pretty much lost any interest in bringing him back as soon as he turned into a $10m whiny bitch.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a major step forward for the Diamondbacks.

Here's hoping Luis conducts himself with dignity when he meets with the press to discuss his career in Arizona, and his future plans.

Are you whining? There's no whining in baseball!
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a very good decision. Not because I wouldn't want him around at all, but because I don't think Melvin would use him as a bench player. We would end up with some kind of platoon situation in LF and I would be irritated for another whole year.

I predicted when they signed Clark to an extension that the only reason it was a bad idea (well, other than the 2 year part) was that I knew Melvin wouldn't be able to help himself from "platooning" Clark and Jackson at 1st. Sure enough...
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's over.

The Diamondbacks without Gonzo.

I think it's the right decision, but it's definitely the end of an era, which is kind of sad.

Bring on the future!!!

And a heartfelt thanks for the memories, Gonzo!
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:

Here's hoping Luis conducts himself with dignity when he meets with the press to discuss his career in Arizona, and his future plans.

From quotes he given media recently, he's been braced for departure. Certainly Josh and Jeff treated him respectfully and honestly during the meeting, and Gonzo will conduct himself with dignity.
djwhite2
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!!!

Can you say season tickets!!! For every hump who dumps out because their precious Gonzo is gone, there will be someone like me who is willing to invest in the kids.

Great news!!!
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djwhite2 wrote:
Can you say season tickets!!! For every hump who dumps out because their precious Gonzo is gone, there will be someone like me who is willing to invest in the kids.
I'll be weighing that option as well, now that the organization is begining to show that they are serious about building the team around their young stud talent.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I came on here to post about the guy whining on the radio about not renewing his season tickets because we're dumping the "legends" Gonzo and Counsell (Sarcastic quotes intended for the Counsell portion only; Gonzo does qualify for that title) and the most recent post is talking about moving in on people that bail.

Did you hear that guy on G&A? That's the kind of perspective that just drives me crazy.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap... cant believe it... Happy and sad at same time... The right move IMO...
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djwhite2 wrote:
Sweet!!!

Great news!!!

If only this were true....they will lose alot more than they gain in the short term, and won't gain until they win.
Hock
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A legend?

Perhaps an Arizona legend...but not a baseball legend.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the callers on g&a are classic!!!
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hock wrote:
A legend?

Perhaps an Arizona legend...but not a baseball legend.

That was the context in which it was presented by the caller...an Arizona legend.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression of the average fans:

Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already said my peace about the guy (whiner, etc, etc), so there's no reason to go back there. I'll just say that I've really enjoyed watching him play during his time here. He was a big part of any success this franchise has had to this point and a lot of people will be sad to see him go.

The timing is great. Fans can see him play his last few games here and give him the send off everyone should agree that he deserves. The guy is 39 and there's not much left in his tank, so it's not like they're cutting ties with him. It's just business.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted on this yet because I have just spent the last 20 minutes consoling my sobbing child and trying to explain to him why this had to happen. Of course he doesn't really understand though.

I knew this day would come, and that it would be tough to say goodbye to his first baseball hero. I can relate. I cried when the Mets traded Tom Seaver, and I was 16. This kid is only 10. So I can't expect him to have any other reaction.

So........

Will it be Brynes/Davanon in LF? Hairston/Davaon? Or someone else?
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you see what you can get for Byrnes at the moment... Productive CFers arent the easiest to find...

I would think that Hairston / Byrnes would have similar offensive #s next year, and the d is to Byrnes advantage... but if you can get more for byrnes in the market, go for it.. Then again... you are going REAL yound there...
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those times when you get what you want but still feel like shit. Thanks for the great years Gonzo and good luck in the future.
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Will it be Brynes/Davanon in LF? Hairston/Davaon? Or someone else?

My gut says someone else, but I have no idea who. To me, the best place to spend free agent money would be to add one more outfielder. You seem to get more bang for your free agent buck with position players, and the pitcher crop this year looks pretty bad.

I would try to solce the pitching needs by packaging prospects and excess major-league talent (Byrnes, Estrada, etc)., to find a young, talented pitcher to pair up with Webb and that the D-backs can control cost-wise for a fairly long period. Obviously, a real high-end young picther will not come cheap, but with 7 of the 8 regular positions pretty much set in my mind, there is definitely excess talent on the farm (perhaps including Upton), and it might be time to use some of it to fill in the one area where the D-backs don't have much coming through the system.

With regard to Gonzo, I am ready to see him go, but I am still a little bit sad that a piece of the team history is leaving. Most people will get over it soon enough. The Sunds traded Westphal and Barkley and let Walter Davis walk away, and the fans got over it. D-backs fans will get over this, too.
Bob A
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzo has been a class act. He will be missed as a person and a part of this organization. Possibly in a few years he can return in some form to the Diamondbacks be it coach, announcer or in the front office.

In the meantime, hooray for the D'backs for making the right move here. You can't let a guy tie up a roster spot and millions of dollars because he is a nice guy. The kids have to play. Keep Brynes and/or get Hairston to the majors in '07. Either will have more productivity on the field.
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
This is one of those times when you get what you want but still feel like shit. Thanks for the great years Gonzo and good luck in the future.

Precisely.

Always a supporter of Gonzo, even the last couple years. But it turned south around the steroid allegations time, and became clear it was time to part ways.

What was the Gonzo camp hoping for at this meeting? They had to know that it wasn't going to be good. And I guarantee that the D-Rays aren't interested in Gonzo, either. I think if he had been able to swallow ihs pride and wasn't such a bitch when Q got called up, he'd be around next year. Not for much $ at all, but something. I seriously doubt there will be any offers for his services at terms acceptable to him.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, Josh.

Luis, thanks for the memories. We'll always have a special place in our heart for that 2001 squad that won it all, and you and RJ are the first two that come to mind in any discussion of the AZ Diamondbacks franchise.

Now about this pitching staff... Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: