Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Justin Upton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DbacksInsider: #dbacks RF Justin Upton departs game after top of 2nd inning with left ankle sprain
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Magruder / FOXSportsArizona.com tonight wrote:
PHOENIX – Justin Upton is not concerned about his sprained left ankle, and the Diamondbacks do not appear bothered, either.

Upton suffered the injury when he lunged and landed on the first base bag while stretching to beat out an infield single in the second inning of the D-Backs’ 10-3 loss to the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday.

He was replaced by Cole Gillespie when the D-Backs went out for defense in the last of the second, but manager A.J. Hinch said Upton is scheduled to start Thursday.

“If he needs to have an extra day, we’ll accommodate him,” manager A.J. Hinch said. “In-season, I would have probably left him in.”

Upton said he did not realize he was injured until he took off to steal second base three pitches later. He continued to third base when the catcher’s throw went into center field, and scored on a single.

“I jammed it a little bit. I tried to go back out, but it’s not worth it. Obviously, everybody knows it is not the time to really push anything,” Upton said.

The ankle was not iced or taped when Upton met reporters.

“Pushing off, I felt it a little bit. I was one of those things where I was sore enough to come out,” Upton said. “It’s just a day-by-day thing. They’ll be working on it. Hopefully I can get back in there soon.”

The D-backs have 11 exhibition games remaining before opening the regular season April 5 against San Diego at Chase Field.

“He jammed his foot twice today, once at first and once at third. This time of the spring, we are certainly not going to take any chances,” Hinch said.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little story note from Peter Gammons on J-UP that was as far as I know reported by none of the local yocals around here.

10. What made us feel the best about who we are? The way stricken Red Sox Minor League outfielder Ryan Westmoreland, one of the best prospects anywhere, has attracted the caring and legitimate encouragement of players and teams out here. On Monday, Ethier is taking off to spend time with Westmoreland, as his brother Adam Ethier is Westmoreland's physical therapist and trainer. Justin Upton visited Westmoreland. The Padres and D-backs have reached out and visited him. If you're sick of Tiger and scandal and selfishness, think about Andre and Adam Ethier, and Upton. Some people get a day off to play golf, Andre Ethier took his day off to try to help the rehab of a 20-year-old kid who a week ago was fighting for his life.

That Justin Upton is a good kid. Wink
coolwater
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Nice little story note from Peter Gammons on J-UP that was as far as I know reported by none of the local yocals around here.

10. What made us feel the best about who we are? The way stricken Red Sox Minor League outfielder Ryan Westmoreland, one of the best prospects anywhere, has attracted the caring and legitimate encouragement of players and teams out here. On Monday, Ethier is taking off to spend time with Westmoreland, as his brother Adam Ethier is Westmoreland's physical therapist and trainer. Justin Upton visited Westmoreland. The Padres and D-backs have reached out and visited him. If you're sick of Tiger and scandal and selfishness, think about Andre and Adam Ethier, and Upton. Some people get a day off to play golf, Andre Ethier took his day off to try to help the rehab of a 20-year-old kid who a week ago was fighting for his life.

That's a beautiful story. I love to see J- Up caring about people.
Thanks for posting
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolwater wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:

Thanks for posting

And although he is a member of a division rival, don't forget to give a big hand to ASU-product Andre Ethier. I had the pleasure of meeting him over the off-season; very passionate and grounded guy.

It's truly touching to see the outpouring of support for Westmoreland. Get well soon, Ryan.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
coolwater wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:

Thanks for posting

And although he is a member of a division rival, don't forget to give a big hand to ASU-product Andre Ethier. I had the pleasure of meeting him over the off-season; very passionate and grounded guy.

It's truly touching to see the outpouring of support for Westmoreland. Get well soon, Ryan.

good job by both of them
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice read on J-UP from ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview10/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=5041599
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard anything about his injury?
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a contusion and he is listed day to day. (somewhere in the depths of azsnakepit)
Obey
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea if he'll play tomorrow? Though a few days off may do him a bit of good as he's currently playing terribly.
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obey wrote:
Any idea if he'll play tomorrow? Though a few days off may do him a bit of good as he's currently playing terribly.

By Steve Gilbert / MLB.com wrote:
Upton is listed as day-to-day, but said he hopes to be in the lineup on Monday when the D-backs open a three-game series against the Rockies at Coors Field.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upton's 673 OPS for the month of April is his worst OPS of any month since .520 in June of 2008.

He also finished last year with a pretty bad last month. .706 OPS

He's definitely due for a major tear.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or he has a case of contractitis Confused
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

Only difference I see is his monster Spring this year, whereas last year he struggled at the plate throughout March and almost all of April.

It's true what people say, that Spring doesn't matter, but I'm positive his 2009 Spring impacted his physique. I thought, for that reason, this April might turn out much better...
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Upton's 673 OPS for the month of April is his worst OPS of any month since .520 in June of 2008.

He's definitely due for a major tear.

I really haven't noticed his lack of production since we have KJ on such a tear.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Only difference I see is his monster Spring this year, whereas last year he struggled at the plate throughout March and almost all of April.

It's true what people say, that Spring doesn't matter, but I'm positive his 2009 Spring impacted his physique. I thought, for that reason, this April might turn out much better...

No....spring numbers really are irrelevant. Believe it.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
No....spring numbers really are irrelevant. Believe it.

The numbers in themselves are, no doubt. He seemed to be mentally affected by his lack of production prior to the 09 season, though. He was severely over-swinging, seemed over aggressive in his approach, and ended up altering his stance before the season opener to the bat "wrap" he sports now (although has tweaked it quite a bit more since then).
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Do you mean psyche? I am not one to complain about spelling and typos, but the meanings are different here
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
SheriffWannaBe wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Do you mean psyche? I am not one to complain about spelling and typos, but the meanings are different here

Maybe SheriffWannaBe does mean physique - but since this is a family friendly forum (or aspires to be), we don't need to hear the details Laughing
TAP

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
SheriffWannaBe wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

I thought he meant his body and missed the point.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:

Yup. Quickly made that comment while multitasking... psyche, not physique. Thanks much
TAP

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Dean / MLB.com tonight wrote:
Arizona slugger Justin Upton's home run to dead-center field on Tuesday night off the Astros' Roy Oswalt traveled 453 feet for the 10th longest home run of the season in the Majors, according to hittrackeronline.com. ... Upton and D-backs teammates Mark Reynolds and Chris Snyder have combined to hit five of the National League's 10 longest home runs this season. Reynolds has the second and fourth longest -- 466 feet at Chase Field on April 20 and 458 feet at Chase Field on April 25. Snyder hit a 457-foot home run at Minute Maid Park on May 3 for the sixth longest. Upton hit the eighth longest of 455 feet at Chase Field on April 7. Jason Heyward of Atlanta has the longest home run, 476 feet at Turner Field on April 5.

VIDEO OF UPTON'S BLAST HERE
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upton is apparently taking lessons from Chris Young: cash in, check out.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Upton is apparently taking lessons from Chris Young: cash in, check out.

say it aint so.... say it aint so.....
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strikeouts piling up for D-backs' Upton

Quote:
ATLANTA -- Seeing a D-backs player atop the National League strikeout chart is not a new development. After all, third baseman Mark Reynolds has set the Major League record for whiffs in each of the past two seasons.

But right now it's teammate Justin Upton that leads the NL with 47 strikeouts heading into Friday's action.

"It's going to be part of his game, but it shouldn't be dominating his game like it is now," D-backs manager A.J. Hinch said. "It all comes down to pitch selection. Right now, at least the last two weeks, even when he's scratched out his hits, he's been a little late on the fastball -- a little early on the breaking ball, which is a vicious cycle to get out of."

Upton's struggles have come at the same time the Arizona offense is trying to recapture its early-season potent production.

On the just-completed 0-6 homestand, the team as a whole hit .195 with 61 strikeouts.

"He's out of sorts, he's been out of sorts, swinging outside the zone a lot," Hinch said. "He's taken it upon himself to swing his way out of this slump, and it's caused him to get out of his discipline."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 40 of 41

Jump to: