Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck
 
 Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Justin Upton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Bickley / The Arizona Republic tonight wrote:
Meanwhile, the organization is trying hard to change the yucky vibe at home, moving away from the ham-handed, in-game shenanigans that mock an authentic ballpark experience. They have solicited players for advice on how the stadium should feel. And in anticipation of a colossal year from Upton, the folks in marketing have come up with a wonderful idea.

They are renaming the right-field area of Chase Field in his honor. It will be called "Uptown."


Hmmm, wonder where this idea might have come from...
http://forum.diamondbacksbullpen.org/viewtopic.php?p=336388&highlight=uptown#336388

Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 8062
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sweet it is!
_________________
Thank you, God, for Gibby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 5271
Location: Sonoran desert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Dan Bickley / The Arizona Republic tonight wrote:
Meanwhile, the organization is trying hard to change the yucky vibe at home, moving away from the ham-handed, in-game shenanigans that mock an authentic ballpark experience. They have solicited players for advice on how the stadium should feel. And in anticipation of a colossal year from Upton, the folks in marketing have come up with a wonderful idea.

They are renaming the right-field area of Chase Field in his honor. It will be called "Uptown."


Hmmm, wonder where this idea might have come from...
http://forum.diamondbacksbullpen.org/viewtopic.php?p=336388&highlight=uptown#336388

Razz

That is cool but I think it would have been better to do this after his "colossal year" . If you are naming parts of the park after someone, he better have a colossal year.
_________________
I have become comfortably numb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oden
Hall of Famer


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 3622
Location: Gilbert, AZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Gary should get free tickets to a game or something.
_________________
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 5271
Location: Sonoran desert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
Nice! Gary should get free tickets to a game or something.

I agree
_________________
I have become comfortably numb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dirtygary
Hall of Famer


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 4760
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just an honor to be nominated...
_________________
Lute.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dirtygary
Hall of Famer


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 4760
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From twitter earlier:

DbacksInsider: RF Justin Upton saves a run with an outstanding track on the warning track in right-center field...end of second: #dbacks 1, a's 0
_________________
Lute.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oden
Hall of Famer


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 3622
Location: Gilbert, AZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an amazing catch. Cust hit one to the gap that would have landed near the base of the wall and Upton ran it down. One of those that as he's tracking it you figure there's no way he's going to catch it, but then he does. Amazing.
_________________
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
That was an amazing catch. Cust hit one to the gap that would have landed near the base of the wall and Upton ran it down. One of those that as he's tracking it you figure there's no way he's going to catch it, but then he does. Amazing.

Any thoughts from the sports talk shows? Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 7171

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Oden wrote:
That was an amazing catch. Cust hit one to the gap that would have landed near the base of the wall and Upton ran it down. One of those that as he's tracking it you figure there's no way he's going to catch it, but then he does. Amazing.

Any thoughts from the sports talk shows? Cool


Laughing Laughing Too funny. So the other afternoon Gambo was going on and on about how important CY was this year because of his great D and that CJ was just OK in left and that JUP was below average in right. Said we needed CY out there in center to cover up mistakes from the other two. Laughing
_________________
I'm no longer a sellout!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stu
Hall of Famer


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 4492

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball is definitely not Gambo's sport. It is hard for these guys to be competent on everything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dirtygary
Hall of Famer


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 4760
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
Baseball is definitely not Gambo's sport. It is hard for these guys to be competent on everything.

He doesn't get a pass for ignorant views on baseball. If you get a microphone and a public forum for a sports-talk program that discusses baseball, our national pastime, in the 5th/6th largest market in America, you just can't ignorantly and wrongly over-criticize the 19-21yr old phenom and not be held accountable.

I put this one on DHall. He's the only one that possesses the public clout and is in a position to appear on Gambo's show and call him out for his incorrect opinion on J-Up's D. DHall can get the data, challenge that jerk's opinion, and MAKE him back down on this one. My hunch is that Gambo just doesn't like J-Up.
_________________
Lute.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
baldmaga
Hall of Famer


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3102
Location: Louisiana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
stu wrote:
Baseball is definitely not Gambo's sport. It is hard for these guys to be competent on everything.

He doesn't get a pass for ignorant views on baseball. If you get a microphone and a public forum for a sports-talk program that discusses baseball, our national pastime, in the 5th/6th largest market in America, you just can't ignorantly and wrongly over-criticize the 19-21yr old phenom and not be held accountable.


I disagree that baseball is the "national pastime" anymore. Football is by and far the most popular sport in America. I doubt baseball is even in second place at this point...

As for the 5th/6th largest market, I disagree with that as well. Phoenix doesn't even come close to NY, LA, Boston, Philly, Dallas, Bay Area, Detroit, Houston, Baltimore/DC...maybe even Toronto and Seattle

This doesn't vindicate Gambo for being dull, but baseball clearly isn't his thing...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
matt
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 7391

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambo has a nice knowledge of baseball history but fails miserably at analyzing the skills of current players. His statement on Upton is based on how Upton has had a history of making some bad throws and some true bonehead errors but that kid can run the shit out of balls in the gap.

I like the idea of Hall calling him out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should pm hall the link to this thread then Laughing
_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4&feature=related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the replay of this afternoon's game at Camelback Ranch between the Cubs and White Sox on the MLB channel. The Cubs crew mentioned that their next televised broadcast is on the 24th vs the Diamondbacks and then segued into the Upton extension and started raving about how good Justin is already and how much better he will continue to get each year.

J-Up's appreciated in Chicago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article from Nick Piecoro tonight on Justin Upton's defense
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 7391

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First comment from the article:

Quote:
stupid story its not like uptons defense could get any worse....we will see during the real season
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oden
Hall of Famer


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 3622
Location: Gilbert, AZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy leaves negative comments about every AZ sports article.
_________________
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 5271
Location: Sonoran desert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
dirtygary wrote:
stu wrote:
Baseball is definitely not Gambo's sport. It is hard for these guys to be competent on everything.

He doesn't get a pass for ignorant views on baseball. If you get a microphone and a public forum for a sports-talk program that discusses baseball, our national pastime, in the 5th/6th largest market in America, you just can't ignorantly and wrongly over-criticize the 19-21yr old phenom and not be held accountable.


I disagree that baseball is the "national pastime" anymore. Football is by and far the most popular sport in America. I doubt baseball is even in second place at this point...

As for the 5th/6th largest market, I disagree with that as well. Phoenix doesn't even come close to NY, LA, Boston, Philly, Dallas, Bay Area, Detroit, Houston, Baltimore/DC...maybe even Toronto and Seattle

This doesn't vindicate Gambo for being dull, but baseball clearly isn't his thing...

I could be wrong but I think the last stats I saw put Phoenix in the top 5 markets. Maybe even 4th behind NY,LA Chc?

I agree football is by far the Americas passion right now.
_________________
I have become comfortably numb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stu
Hall of Famer


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 4492

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with a young man at the White Sox yesterday who had played amateur ball with JU in the Tidewater area. He said that JU always had a good glove, but that his arm was so erratic that he was moved off shortstop to third. Even there he still airmailed a bunch of throws. Which does show a lack of concentration for someone of his ability.

I think it is harder to concentrate especially in the outfield and especially when you are not used to it. I used to try to envision what I would do in various situation. For example, fast runner on first, hard hit ball try to keep him at second; if he gets a good jump on anything else give him third and so on.

Another approach that friend uses for golf is to pick the times you will concentrate. That is let your mind go for the times between pitches, managers visits, etc and then really focus when the pitch is made. It is not that much time that the ball is active in baseball. There isn't much excuse for not being able to concentrate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence


Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Posts: 1313
Location: Birmingham, UK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
There isn't much excuse for not being able to concentrate.


Have you seen the chicks in the Bleachers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
stu wrote:
There isn't much excuse for not being able to concentrate.


Have you seen the chicks in the Bleachers?



_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4&feature=related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 10330
Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:
stu wrote:
There isn't much excuse for not being able to concentrate.


Have you seen the chicks in the Bleachers?




Justin

Don't post pics of your girl friend. She might get upset with u!
_________________
win the series make the playoffs
series record to date 11-19-3
april 11-12 | may 9-20 | june 11-16
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 8062
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asssssss if! Wink
_________________
Thank you, God, for Gibby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 39 of 41

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



visitors since April 13, 2006.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group