Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Colorado AA base coach killed by line drive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

Nor do I (not that I'd want AZ to beat them any less, of course).

The fun with hating the Cubs is in direct proportion to the arrogance of the Chicago media and Cubs fans who see Chase Field as Wrigley Field West.

Agreed 100%
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

The fun with hating the Cubs is in direct proportion to the arrogance of the Chicago media and Cubs fans who see Chase Field as Wrigley Field West.

Also a natural hatred fostered by growing up in southern Illinois.. and its proximities to the major metro areas of influence:

St. Louis = all that is good & pure in Midwestern values

Chicago = 2nd city arrogant bastards who look down on downstaters Cool
Hammerofthegods32
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
The Rockies players are going to give Coolbaugh's family a full share of the playoff money. Great move guys. Link

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA -- The Rockies weren't too busy winning to try to help a family through the worst kind of loss.

Manager Clint Hurdle revealed Thursday that the team last week voted a full playoff share to Amanda Coolbaugh, whose husband, Mike Coolbaugh, was killed when hit by a foul ball while coaching first base for the Rockies' Double-A Tulsa squad on July 22.

Hurdle said the gesture "speaks to their awareness, speaks to their passion, speaks to their ... I don't know, everything good about them."

I heard about this yesterday, I think. Pretty fucking awesome. Shows a lot of class.
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never hated them either. I have thought all along that they were the team to watch, and now it seems that they may be the team to beat.

I respect the way they have put together a first rate contending team, and now I respect the hell out of them as people for what they are doing. I'm sure it means the world to his wife.
Orlando Thill Hudson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rock Heads are the enemy, and as such, I want nothing good to happen to that franchise in my lifetime. No good media attention, no ugly bald headed guy winning the MVP, and certainly no love for that stinking UTK Volunteer that plays first base for them.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is a shitty outlook
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Well that is a shitty outlook

No kidding.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

No kidding.

Some choose to live in a black and white universe... O' course, whenever O-Dawg moves on to another team, then the Dbacks will become... "the enemy" Rolling Eyes
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
O' course, whenever O-Dawg moves on to another team, then the Dbacks will become... "the enemy" Rolling Eyes

Part of me cant wait.
Tucson DBacks Fan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moviegeek, I grew up not too far from you, in the Kansas City area. I'm a Diamondbacks fan now, but growing up I cheered for the Royals. The Royals were very good then, and Clint Hurdle played for them for awhile. He was a good guy then, and he seems like a good guy now. Beyond that, he's done a great job managing the Rockies this year. The Rockies are scary good now. Smile
Orlando Thill Hudson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that a transplanted Cardinal fan would bring up such a point.

Honestly, sports are about hating the other guy. If you want to be complimentary of your competition, maybe an art show is more of your thing.

I refuse to wish anything but ill will on the Rockies, especially when they feature a mainstay from The University of Tennessee and another from the inbred infested haven of Louisana State University.

I guess you guys out west and you midwesterners can't understand intercollegiate hate, and I understand that. That must SUCK, though.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlando Thill Hudson wrote:

Honestly, sports are about hating the other guy. If you want to be complimentary of your competition, maybe an art show is more of your thing.

I refuse to wish anything but ill will on the Rockies, especially when they feature a mainstay from The University of Tennessee and another from the inbred infested haven of Louisana State University.

I guess you guys out west and you midwesterners can't understand intercollegiate hate, and I understand that. That must SUCK, though.

I don't understand hate in any form, intercollegiate or otherwise. I don't wish anyone ill.

Not being perfect, I have problems with anger, and have fought (and continue to fight) feelings of hatred -- but such failures to be more than I am do not serve as an excuse for indulging in anger and hatred.

Of course I want my team to win -- but not at the cost of hating another team, or of another person. If I have to hate someone else to feel good about my team or myself; if I have to belittle a person's appearance or actions in order to feel superior... there's not something wrong with them, there's something wrong with me.

OTH, take a look at yourself, and ask yourself: Is this persona I'm presenting here who I am? Is it who I want to be?
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is definitely a difference in rooting for your team vs rooting against the opponent.
If they have done nothing to me personally, I can't "hate" them. I may not agree with how they play or their attitudes on/off the field.
I saw alot of genuine hate while at Fenway directed toward anyone in pinstripes... seemed kinda silly to me to viciously hate someone they have never met or don't even know.
I went to one of the World Baseball Classic games here in Tucson when Mexico was playing (can't remember the opponent). Anyway I was appalled when entire sections of fans were berating and cheering against the opponent. It was so low classed IMHO.
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the two sides here are misunderstanding each other. THILL's "hate" is much different than EJ's "hate". THILL's "ill will" is much different than EJ's.

Where one is competitive in nature and confined to the arena; the other is much more personal and offensive (which is why EJ is taking offense, of course Wink )

However, i seriously doubt that EJ doesn't "understand" the competitive "collegiate hate" you're talking about, THILL, he's from Philly. Very Happy

I, OTOH, surely partake in looking down upon the lowly school to the south of Tempe, but i probably don't share the same passion that you do; and you're right, this probably has to do with where I'm from and the culture that the upbringing entails.

My point, if there is one, is that we're all good here. I think we're just misunderstanding each other
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch, I go to LSU Confused

Never thought of myself or anyone around me being inbred, especially since I'm from Arizona Smile
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatuwant wrote:
My point, if there is one, is that we're all good here. I think we're just misunderstanding each other

You may be right.

However, if we are misunderstanding each other, we need to take responsibility for that, and for our choice of words.

If OTH had said, "I really want the Rockies/LSU/whomever to lose every game they play," I wouldn't have a problem with that. But when you say (as he did), "sports are about hating the other guy," how else am I to understand it? He continued, "If you want to be complimentary of your competition, maybe an art show is more of your thing." Does this mean that I cannot acknowledge a good play made by the team opposing mine? It sure sounds that way -- to me, at any rate. I can certainly respect the competition while simultaneously hoping they go down to (ignominious) defeat -- and there is no need for "hate" at any level.

The world is chock-full of hatred and contempt and disrespect -- and if we use the terminology of hatred, well, we should expect to be misunderstood.

Please don't misunderstand me. This is not a plea for "politically correct" speech -- not at all! But there really is not place, in my opinion, for saying in a community such as this, "I hate [x], and I hope he/she/they die" (or similar comments).

Or am I asking too much of y'all?
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
Please don't misunderstand me. This is not a plea for "politically correct" speech -- not at all! But there really is not place, in my opinion, for saying in a community such as this, "I hate [x], and I hope he/she/they die" (or similar comments).

So no dying in a fire?
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:

So no dying in a fire?

Only if you're a Viking! Very Happy
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap alluded to the Die in a fire comment. There is a lot more going on here than "College Rivalries" angle, that has been obvious from the get go.

Lets be honest here, these comments are not made in a vacuum. There is a history here. OTHILL has frequently made comments before such as the "die in a fire" line, that he used several times before people protested. He has at other times come right out and wished injury on opposing players. That was objected to as well.

He has toned it down a bit in the more recent past, and I appreciate that. But there has always been an extreme, angry, hateful edge to his posts, and it's hard not to read that emotion into his many of posts. It's unsettling, and uncomfortable. God forbid that is the way he really feels, and is not just "speaking" in an immature manner.

I don't know if he even realizes the way he is perceived by most when he writes like that. But I am sure when he comes back from the Clemson game he will see clearly that he is perceived as an angry, hateful, and extremely immature individual by the vast majority of people that post and read here.

The fact that we perceive him that way is NOT our failing.
Hammerofthegods32
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only teams I truly hate are the ones that my teams are either facing or losing to. And the SF Giants, UCLA, the Bears and the Colorado Avalanche.
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

I don't know if he even realizes the way he is perceived by most when he writes like that. But I am sure when he comes back from the Clemson game he will see clearly that he is perceived as an angry, hateful, and extremely immature individual by the vast majority of people that post and read here.

The fact that we perceive him that way is NOT our failing.

Count me in. ITs just sports.

It isnt a "western" thing either. I spent more time on the East coast than here, and i know many board members are from teh EC.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irrelevant... and immaterial... and pointless.

Perhaps it's your choice of words that are objectionable, but the concepts that you espouse behind them are WAY beyond what is acceptable sportsmanship. They show a lack of understanding and real immaturity at best.

Ask your buddy, O-Dawg, and he'll agree. He's always complimentary about opponents... Of course, that does NOT take away from his competitive spirit.

I "hate" the Yankees... and the Giants... but I do NOT ever wish nothing but bad things to come to them. The Yankees traditionally play hard and play the right way, and have some really good human beings wearing the pinstripes (and even the Giants have some good guys). They are teams I just feel a little better about the baseball day when they lose (unless the Giants are playing a team that the Dbacks are in closer competition with).

Even then, there are rare exceptions. Hell... I remember tuning in the radio when just after a Dbacks game I had gone to in San Diego a few years ago, and finding that Mike Mussina had a perfect game going against the Red Sox... and actually was hoping that he'd get the perfecto.
Orlando Thill Hudson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
ouch, I go to LSU Confused

Never thought of myself or anyone around me being inbred, especially since I'm from Arizona Smile

Maga, I don't really have a problem with LSU. Lots of good ball players out of there and there hasn't exactly been any sort of history between the Bayou Bengals and my Tigers. Just a little good natured ribbing, that's all.

I do harbor what's known as HATE for the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and everything that goes there/comes from there.

UTK was influential in reporting Clemson for "cheating" in the 1980's, which is pretty funny because everybody (especially in the SEC) was doing it. Since then, the Viles have been some of the biggest cheaters on the planet.

Because of their nice bit of investigation, Clemson eventually suffered from a tarnished reputation and subsequently let go our best ever head coach. It didn't happen directly because of UTK's report, but that was a contributing factor. Since Danny Ford was fired, Clemson football hasn't won a conference championship.

That was your Clemson/UTK history lesson for the night. This isn't a joke or some "immature" hatred for no reason. I despise anything that comes out of Knoxville, Tennessee and there are about 50,000 people who share that opinion with me.

Say what you want, but being from Philly does not qualify one to know anything about what happens on the gridiron during the college football season. It's not just a game, even if the idealists on this board would like for it to be. Clemson lost tonight and it sucked the life out of a 50 mile radius which won't return until the next time they win.

People fight over it. People kill over it. I've never fought as the direct result of a sporting event, but it happens more than anyone would like to acknowledge.

"Hating" Todd Helton isn't something that's done because he's a nice guy who happens to play for the Rockies. It's an enriched value that comes from growing up 3 hours southeast of Pickens County, SC. The only thing worse than a UTK Vile is an SCU Gamecock or a UGA Leg Humper. Come down for a game and I'll find 100 70 year old men who can tell you about it. They're not "immature", "angry", or any other adjective. They're respected lawyers, farmers, business men, husbands, and dads who HATE the guts out of anything that comes from the University of Tennessee.

If that post didn't do it, then don't even try to understand. You can't.

If you're offended by my hate for Todd Helton, then I invite you to try on a tougher layer of skin.

And also, do yourselves a favor and quit turning everything into a soapbox opportunity. This isn't a life or death question that needs the input of 10 people who take themselves and their opinions too seriously. It's a message board. It's where people bring ideas. "This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? Betty?"

So I hate Todd Helton, big deal? I can probably go back and find 100 instances where Diamondback fans actually eat their own and claim to "HATE" their own players. "Fat Ass Livan" ring a bell?
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People fight over it. People kill over it. I've never fought as the direct result of a sporting event, but it happens more than anyone would like to acknowledge.

"Hating" Todd Helton isn't something that's done because he's a nice guy who happens to play for the Rockies. It's an enriched value that comes from growing up 3 hours southeast of Pickens County, SC. The only thing worse than a UTK Vile is an SCU Gamecock or a UGA Leg Humper. Come down for a game and I'll find 100 70 year old men who can tell you about it. They're not "immature", "angry", or any other adjective. They're respected lawyers, farmers, business men, husbands, and dads who HATE the guts out of anything that comes from the University of Tennessee.

Yes and this is exactly the problem with sports. Fans take it way too seriously.

Another thing, age and life accomplishments to not make people mature.

Zephon
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want everyone to know that when I said i hate eric byrnes with a passion, i was being facetious.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: