Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Colorado AA base coach killed by line drive
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catharsis
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Colorado AA base coach killed by line drive Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtAw0ThGVV4MeQuz7sW5lpQ5nYcB?slug=ap-coachinjured&prov=ap&type=lgns

Now I remember why they had us wear helmets in little league as the first base coach. Terrible news.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That truly sucks.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised we don't hear about this happening more often.

Mike was a good baseball guy. My condolences go out to his family.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My deepest sympathies for his family, and for the poor batter who launched it. That kind of guilt is going to stay with the guy for a while, even though he shouldn't feel it.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great point Josh....thanks for bringing it up
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was indeed a great point, McCray. Tino Sanchez, a 6-foot, 175-pound catcher, is hitting .174 in 26 games with the Drillers with one home run and eight RBIs. The 28-year-old switch hitter batted .325 in 23 games with the Drillers in 2006. For a 28-year old playing his 11th year of minor league ball at AA, this could be an impetus to call it quits. Here's hoping he gets through this ordeal as unscathed as possible.
allstar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best wishes go out to the family of the victim and Tino Sanchez to get past such a horror.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty damn awful.

Ive seen and had some pretty close calls, as well as seen a couple pitchers get hit with batted balls in my playing days. There just isnt much time to react, esp if you are concentrating on a runner, or something going on with the game.

I hope i dont trivialize this at all by telling my own personal "close call". I was on 3B as a runner (that in itself is a miracle) - RHed hitter smoked a ball down the line. Basically i froze (not knowing to duck, move right, or left, or anything) as it started down the line, and hooked right towards me, and then, luckily for me, outside (more towards foul ground) of me. It was close enough for me to hear the ball go by my ear hole of my helmet -still... scary shit.. I remember it very well.

My thoughts also go out to MC and his family...
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice story on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel site (edited here).

Cincinnati - Geoff Jenkins and Ben Sheets, the only two players on the Milwaukee Brewers' current roster who played for the team in 2001, remembered how excited Mike Coolbaugh was to get to the major leagues that July after spending 12 years in the minor leagues.

"There was a lot of perseverance in him," recalled Jenkins. "I remember how proud we were for him that he finally made it."

Jenkins, Sheets, the rest of the Brewers and all of baseball were stunned and saddened to learn of the death of Coolbaugh, 35, who was struck in the head by a line drive Sunday while coaching first base for the Class A Tulsa Drillers in a Texas League game in Little Rock, Ark. Coolbaugh was hit by a foul line drive off the bat of Tino Sanchez and was pronounced dead later at a local hospital.

Coolbaugh was so excited about finally getting his chance to play in the majors for the Brewers that he reported to the ballpark at 7 a.m. for a day game on July 16. He played 39 games with Milwaukee that season, batting .200 with two homers and seven RBI.

"I remember him hitting a couple of bombs for us," Sheets said. "He was excited to be here. We were all excited for him."

In a Journal Sentinel interview the day he reported to the Brewers, Coolbaugh talked about getting the news from Class AAA Indianapolis manager Wendell Kim.

"I couldn't breathe for, like, five minutes," he said. "I asked, 'Are you serious?' I couldn't believe it."

Coolbaugh played only five more games in the majors in 2002 for St. Louis. He returned to the minors and continued playing until retiring after the 2006 season. He had recently taken the job as coach for Tulsa at the urging of his sons, Joseph, 5, and Jacob, 3.

Coolbaugh also is survived by wife Amanda, expecting their third child in October.

"We were going to be done with it, but his kids wanted to see him (coach)," Amanda Coolbaugh said. "You couldn't have asked for a better father. He just paid attention to the boys, put them in clubs and sports . . . volunteered time on their teams."

Coolbaugh played for the Brewers before Reid Nichols became farm director in 2003 but played in the Texas system when Nichols worked for that club.

"Mike was a kind and hard-working individual who lived life and played the game with great passion," Nichols said. "He will be greatly missed."
dbackfanron
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad indeed. I wonder if they will consider making the coaches wear batting helmets to prevent (hopefully) this from happening again.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, pitchers are 30 feet closer to home plate than the base coaches are. If anyone needs a helmet it's them.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN Story, Reaction

Quote:
Padres first base coach Bobby Meacham admitted there's times he's not watching the batter.

"Sometimes my back's to home plate or I'm watching the first baseman and sometimes I don't watch the hitter. But I know I can tell when the ball's coming in my direction by the sound of the bat or the movement of the guys I'm watching," he said.
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more stuff I read about this incident, the one question in my mind is this: "How did base coaching start, and why are these guys really out there?". Is it absolutely necessary to have base coaches? If neither team had base coaches, the runners would have to make all the decisions themselves. Is that a problem? It seems to me unless a determination can be made that base coaches are indispensable, why do we risk life and limb by having them out there in the first place. Seems to me the best safety prevention is not to have them out there at all.
McCray
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think base coaches should stay. It keeps the runners focused on running, rather than having to run in one way (say second to third) while looking the other way (say to deep right field). Also, this game has been going on for a long long time. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time a base coach has ever been killed, right? I wouldn't get rid of them just because of one incident, regardless of how tragic it is.

David B brings up a very good point, though --- pitchers are a lot closer to the balls being launched into play. It's one of those things where it's probably not an if, but a when a pitcher eventually gets killed by a line drive to the skull. Not much you can do to prevent it --- a hard helmet would really throw off a pitcher's movement. But when it happens, it'll be a sad sad day.
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Ball hit Coolbaugh on neck, ruptured artery Reply with quote

The foul ball that killed Tulsa Drillers hitting coach Mike Coolbaugh ruptured an artery in his neck and he died from a loss of blood to the brain, a coroner said.

Pulaski County (Ark.) Coroner Mark Malcolm told the Tulsa World Tuesday that the line drive hit Coolbaugh on the left side of the neck while he stood in the first-base coach's box during Sunday's minor league game in Arkansas.
Quote:
"I think everyone assumed he was hit in the head," Malcolm said. "It's probably what it looked like, but he was actually hit on the back of his neck just behind the ear."

Ball hit Coolbaugh on neck, ruptured artery
TAP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenallen Hill last night was the first MLB 1st base coach to ever wear a helmet as a result of this week's death.

In Coolbaugh's case, a helmet would not have made a difference as he was hit in the neck, not in the head.
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a special helmet should be designed for base coaches. Something like a Darth Vader helmet that protects the neck as well as the head.
Also announced today was a visitation for Mike from 4-6 on Sunday. The funeral will be Monday at 10:30. Both of these I guess are in San Antonio.
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much was raised by the Coolbaugh Memorial Fund but I sure hope Mandy and the boys will be all right. I hope we can be apprised of their situation in the years to come.
Chris24YoungFan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they should be like NFL and have ear pieces in the players ears and have the head coach tell them from the dugout whether to go or not. Dumb idea, I'm sure..but only thing that came to my mind
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rockies players are going to give Coolbaugh's family a full share of the playoff money. Great move guys. Link

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA -- The Rockies weren't too busy winning to try to help a family through the worst kind of loss.

Manager Clint Hurdle revealed Thursday that the team last week voted a full playoff share to Amanda Coolbaugh, whose husband, Mike Coolbaugh, was killed when hit by a foul ball while coaching first base for the Rockies' Double-A Tulsa squad on July 22.

Hurdle said the gesture "speaks to their awareness, speaks to their passion, speaks to their ... I don't know, everything good about them."
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
The Rockies players are going to give Coolbaugh's family a full share of the playoff money. Great move guys. Link

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA -- The Rockies weren't too busy winning to try to help a family through the worst kind of loss.

Manager Clint Hurdle revealed Thursday that the team last week voted a full playoff share to Amanda Coolbaugh, whose husband, Mike Coolbaugh, was killed when hit by a foul ball while coaching first base for the Rockies' Double-A Tulsa squad on July 22.

Hurdle said the gesture "speaks to their awareness, speaks to their passion, speaks to their ... I don't know, everything good about them."

Wow... cool shit.

Edit - to give an idea of amount - 2006 was this much!
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, it is going to be hard to hate the Rockies if the D-backs make it to the NLCS and play them.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
Damn, it is going to be hard to hate the Rockies if the D-backs make it to the NLCS and play them.

It was already hard (at least for me) to "hate" the Rockies. Somewhat torn ... in hoping that they are successful (being a fellow overlooked NL Western team that is composed of a number of young, talented players with a relatively low payroll) but realizing that they ARE the most dangerous potential foe in the NL playoffs.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:

I dont hate the rockies at all. They are building thier team from within, and have a bunch of good guys. Its a fun team to watch.
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Hank wrote:

I dont hate the rockies at all. They are building thier team from within, and have a bunch of good guys. Its a fun team to watch.

Nor do I (not that I'd want AZ to beat them any less, of course).

The fun with hating the Cubs is in direct proportion to the arrogance of the Chicago media and Cubs fans who see Chase Field as Wrigley Field West.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: