Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jarrod Parker
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Jarrod Parker Reply with quote

The #1 pick gets his own thread right off the bat. I'm sure we will be tracking everything about him.

Here is Steve Gilbert's Article

Here is his scouting report from MLB.com site

Player Name: Jarrod Parker
Position: Starting Pitcher
School: Norwell HS, Ind.
School Type: High School
Academic Class: Senior
Birthdate: 11/24/88
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 175 lbs.
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
Report Date(s): 04/19/07
Game(s): Blackford HS

Focus Area Comments
Fastball: Parker's fastball ran in the 94-97 mph range.
FB Movement: Parker had above-average life on the inner half of the plate.
Curve: Parker threw his curve around 78-79 mph, but he doesn't use it a lot in games. It's an average offering, at best, on occasion, but has the chance to be a good pitch.
Changeup: Parker didn't throw many changeups, but when he did they were around 81-82 mph. The pitch has a chance to be above average.
Control: Parker had an oustanding ability to command his fastball on both sides of the plate. The ability to have command to the extension side of the plate isn't common for high school right-handers.
Poise: Parker is extremely competitive and had outstanding mound presence. He was commanding from his first pitch to his last.
Physical Description: Parker is an athletic, yet undersized right-hander in the Roy Oswalt mold.
Medical Update: Healthy.
Strengths: Parker has a smooth, no-effort delivery. He's an oustanding athlete. He's got a plus fastball with plus command and the chance to have two above-average secondary pitches.
Weaknesses: He's a little undersized and his secondary offerings are behind his fastball, mostly because he hasn't needed them.
Summary: Parker has a good combination of skills, a big fastball, two potentially good secondary pitches, clean mechanics, outstanding command and mound presence. He has the chance to be a frontline starter in the future.
farmfan
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From BA.

Quote:
Parker pitched for Team USA's junior national squad that won a silver medal in the World Junior Championship in Cuba last September. He has blown away scouts and hitters all spring, warming up for his initial start at 93-94 mph and hitting 97 with his first official pitch of the season. He touched 98 in that game and has continued to do so since, often working at 95-96. Just 6-foot-2 and 175 pounds, Parker generates his exceptional velocity with an unbelievably quick arm. One scouting director says he has the best arm action of any high school pitcher in the draft, and he has drawn comparisons to a righthanded version of Scott Kazmir and to Tim Lincecum. Parker doesn't have Lincecum's untouchable curveball, but he does have a power curve with good depth and has shown a mid-80s slider. He hasn't needed it much against inferior high school competition, but Parker also has flashed an average to plus changeup. He didn't allow a run until his sixth start or an earned run until his seventh. A Georgia Tech recruit, he should go in the first half of the first round, perhaps to the Braves at No. 14.
farmfan
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this from Baseball Analysts. It is a little old, May 29, but not bad. Jim is Jim Callis, and Alan is Alan Matthews.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2007/05/a_roundtable_wi.php

Quote:
Rich: While on the high school front, there are as many as six righthanders (Porcello, Parker, Harvey, Aumont, Michael Main, and Blake Beavan) who could figure prominently in the first round. Which one throws the hardest? Who has the best overall stuff? Which pitcher is the surest thing and which one has the highest ceiling?

Jim: You could even say seven, as Tim Alderson could sneak into the end of the first round. Jarrod Parker throws the hardest, harder than anyone in this draft. He has touched 98 mph more often than anyone in this draft and also shown a pretty nasty slider at times. He has the best overall stuff. Rick Porcello is right there with him, and he has a bigger, stronger frame, so he'd be a little bit better bet and have a little higher ceiling.

Alan: Porcello has reportedly also hit 98, but the difference in terms of fastball velocity between he and Parker is negligible, in my opinion. I have seen them both pitch, and Parker does it a little easier. His arm action is splendid, and just so easy and clean. If he was 6-foot-4, rather than 6-feet, he’d have to be in the mix with Price at No. 1, so that should tell you just how good Jarrod Parker is. I would say that Harvey and Main are right there with Parker and Porcello in terms of overall stuff. Harvey’s changeup is a plus pitch and he has shown great ability to spot it down and away from lefthanded hitters. Main’s breaking ball is outstanding, and he has such good command of it, along with Josh Smoker’s curveball, it’s among the best pitches in the class. Porcello’s slider has more power to it, and Parker’s breaking ball also is a power pitch, but again, we’re talking about a slight difference, and in many cases, just personal preference. Some scouts like curveballs and others are happy with sliders, so breaking down the stuff of these guys is like going to a BMW dealership and having your choice of models. For me, ceiling is Parker and surest thing is Porcello.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
dbackfanron
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could signability be a problem with Parker? His agent, Reynolds, is the same agent for Justin Upton with whom negotiations were very protracted.
farmfan
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care. Sure it was a good pick, and he may turn into a top of the rotation pitcher, but he is still only 18. TINSTAAPP. If the Dbacks can't get a deal done and end up getting pick 9a next year I wont shed a tear.

Until he get picked by Minnesota and wins a Cy Young or two.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbackfanron wrote:
Could signability be a problem with Parker? His agent, Reynolds, is the same agent for Justin Upton with whom negotiations were very protracted.

he'll sign. the cubs had a pre-draft deal with him, supposedly, that wasn't anything outrageous, until vitters fell to 3.

he wants to play pro ball and doesn't want to go to college. perfect combo
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may have been posted somewhere, but this is what kevin goldstein and bryan smith said

Quote:
Kevin Goldstein (12:08:31 PM PST): With Weathers going just a little ahead of expected, that blows things up just a little bit. Weathers was San Francisco's top target at 10, and now do they go Mills at 22 or overdraft him at 10 to avoid losing two guys they wanted. With all the top college arms off the board, Arizona could go the easy route here with Nick Schmidt -- a pick I'll rip when it comes off the board.

Kevin Goldstein (12:11:16 PM PST): Arizona does the right thing and takes Parker. It's a possible steal at nine. I'm glad they avoided Schmidt, but one of the next two teams, the Giants and Mariners, will not.

BSmith (12:12:00 PM PST): Great situation for Arizona, especially after signing Max Scherzer a few weeks ago. Parker should come in pretty close to slot, and he gives great value for first-year director Tom Allison. Parker is small, but his arm action is truly ridiculous ... better than last year's short player, Tim Lincecum.
Aaron
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Parker is small, but his arm action is truly ridiculous ... better than last year's short player, Tim Lincecum.

I assume by "better than last year's short player" he's talking about arm action, not overall pitcher.
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it odd how righthanders are small, but lefthanders are crafty?
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody ever heard "Show me an 18 yr old throwing 98 and I'll show you a 22 yr old throwing 89."? Just something to think about.

I'd prefer if we focused on drafting high school position prospects and college pitchers.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This organization really needed a high upside high schooler or two....we have plenty of those "polished college" types.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
Anybody ever heard "Show me an 18 yr old throwing 98 and I'll show you a 22 yr old throwing 89."? Just something to think about.

I'd prefer if we focused on drafting high school position prospects and college pitchers.

Anybody ever heard "show me an 18 yr old throwing 98 and I'll show you Josh Beckett or Felix Hernandez?"

High school pitchers need to be handled much much much more carefully than college pitchers, by limiting pitch counts and limiting types of pitches they are allowed to throw, but when the upside is there, you take it
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
dirtygary wrote:

Anybody ever heard "show me an 18 yr old throwing 98 and I'll show you Josh Beckett or Felix Hernandez?"

High school pitchers need to be handled much much much more carefully than college pitchers, by limiting pitch counts and limiting types of pitches they are allowed to throw, but when the upside is there, you take it

Well that's two. There's got to be more, right? Unless you think we got the next FeRod...

And the high ceiling guys seem to be more valuable as trade bait than anything else.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway....worth a shot. Sure, it's high risk. It's also very high reward. This is the amateur draft ya know.
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah... Just seems this is a really, REALLY high risk scenario with almost nil chance of turning out. About the only thing supporting his long-term upside is his easy delivery, mentioned time and again.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
Yeah, yeah... Just seems this is a really, REALLY high risk scenario with almost nil chance of turning out.

Nil? Really? I think the chances are pretty good, better than 50%
Robert S.
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, "almost nil" is what you say about the Neighborgall types out there. This sounds to me like they've got an athletic kid with a good head on his shoulders whose biggest issues are that he isn't a couple inches taller and needs to work on his off-speed stuff. The latter is probably a blessing and the former is why he fell to #9. He's a pretty damn interesting piece to have. I'd be concerned about Arizona's ability to protect and develop him as much as anything. Thankfully, it doesn't sound like he's too much of a project.
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using baseball ref draft site and just going through it once (so you guys can check me) I counted 52 hs pitchers drafted in the first 15 picks between 1985 and 2002. Of the drafted, 24 made the majors as pitchers. However, a lot of these had such limited success that I would call them wasted picks. The successes (I think I have to check when they had their success) are:

Kerry Wood
Josh Beckett
Scott Kazmir
Steve Avery
Jon Garland
Brett Myers
Chris Carpenter
Kent Merker
Shawn Estes (?)
Todd Ritchie (?)

Those with some time, but not much success in the first six major league years (which is what you have to look at it) are:

John Patterson (so far)
Adam Eaton
Willie Banks
Jaret Wright

So little succes as a waste (IMO) of a top pick:

Tommy Greene
Ryan Bowen
Roger Salkfeld
Jeff Juden
Kurt Miller
Todd Van Poppel
Bobby Seay

Jury still out

Gavin Floyd
Zach Greinke
Adam Lowen

So if you are just looking at the majors, it is a 50/50 deal. But if you are looking at success, it is more like 10/52 or say 20%.

Please note that some of these may look better than they actually were for draft purposes. What you are really drafting is 6 years of control if a pitcher gets good after that for another team, he hasn't done the team who drafted him any good (trades excepted). For example, Carpenter was drfated by the Blue Jays. he pitched well enough for them to be a succes, but his greatest value came as a Cardinal after the was a FA so this did the Jays little good.

Some like Estes might be in this ctaegory as well. I just haven't had time to check. Please give me your input.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parker pitching in the Indiana Class 3A semifinals for his unbeaten (32-0) Norwell High School team today.

link
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on my list, I would remove the quesion from Estes (although the greater part of his "success" was after 6 years) and delete Ritchie who was weak with the Twins (who drafted him) and they released him. The Pirates picked him up and he had sme success after that.

The Ritchie case illustrates my point as to one of the risks of hs pitchers. Ritchie wound up being an OK pitcher, but not during the time the Twins had control over him. Even though he developed later for the Pirates, he was a wasted pick for the Twin.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu, you should look past 2002. some highly regarded young pitchers since then have arrived...

one thing to consider: teams are much better at developing high school talent now than they were even 5 years ago...
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped at 2002 because they do need time to devlop. I did not see a single hs pitcher from the draft 2002 on who through last season had appeared in a major league game. I could have missed one and maybe there is one or two who appeared this year, but no one jumped out. David does he go by Homer?) Bailey maybe, but too early to tell for him.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you looked only at top 15 picks. You're missing guys like Matt Cain, Cole Hamels, for example. You should look at all first rounders, imho
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Parker pitching in the Indiana Class 3A semifinals for his unbeaten (32-0) Norwell High School team today.

link

In 3A semifinals today, Norwell shout out South Bend St Joe's 11-to-0.

Norwell's pitcher Jarrod Parker was the 9th overall pick in the Major League draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks and he pitched a gem today.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: