Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Movie recs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Trailer for Every Academy Award Winning Movie Ever
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Loved it. Filmed in New Mexico saw a lot of old places I used to visit.

Ryan Bingham gets a part as the bowling alley band.

Bridges does a great job with his role.

Music fantastic. Getting the soundtrack now. Title cut by Bingham is my number 1 song on my IPOD HOT 100 playlist.

Told the wife I compared the movie to "The Wrestler" Great performance but the movie was just solid good not great.

Only showing at the movie theater at the El Con Mall down here in tucson.

I saw Crazy Heart and enjoyed it. Especially the surprise ending. I was truly shocked with how it ended.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a fun 'put your brain on cruise control' action-comedy.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3896771609/
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? It's playing at Camelview. I normally don't care for subtitled movies (this one is made in Sweden), but last weekend was my wife's turn to choose a movie and she picked this one, I thought, hmmm, the title seemed interesting...

And, guess what? It's a great who-done-it movie. In fact, compared to Shutter Island, this one's much better made and directed. Sorry, Mr. Scorsese, you didn't do that good a job with Shutter Island.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about it and I want to see it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last weekend... much better than Shutter Island.

Felt it ran a bit long--like the version screened was the extended cut for DVD, but it held my interest all the way through (that alone was enough evidence that it works far better than Shutter Island)

I saw three foreign films last weekend at the Camelview 5. The strongest of the three is the Korean film -- Mother. Strongly recommend this one.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This starts today. I am not familiar with the story but it sounds good. I always enjoy a baseball movie. This article has an interview with Cheech Marin.

The Perfect game

http://catholicexchange.com/2010/04/16/129321/
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
Saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last weekend... much better than Shutter Island.

Felt it ran a bit long--like the version screened was the extended cut for DVD, but it held my interest all the way through (that alone was enough evidence that it works far better than Shutter Island)

I saw three foreign films last weekend at the Camelview 5. The strongest of the three is the Korean film -- Mother. Strongly recommend this one.

Really, you thought the Tattoo movie was a bit long, I didn't feel that way at all. On the other hand, Shutter Island felt really long even though some storyline in the book got completely cut out. Have you read the book by Dennis Lehane? I actually read it twice, the first time I rushed to get to the ending because it got so intense. A year or so later, I reread it and loved it even more, it's still one of my all time favorite novels.

Is Mother also a subtitled movie?
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:

I am likely going to see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tomorrow. I read about it this weekend and it piqued my interest. It'd be nice to see a good thriller for once.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Salad wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:

I am likely going to see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tomorrow. I read about it this weekend and it piqued my interest. It'd be nice to see a good thriller for once.

Saw this a couple months ago when it played the Portland International Film Festival. The first 2 hours were a pretty good thriller, but the last half hour was just over the top. Too much stuff appearing out of left field with no context (or at least no believable context). I've been told by people who have read the book that the film holds pretty true to the storyline. If that's the case, than the book must be an everything-but-the-kitchen sink mess too.
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw kick ass it was awesome

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:

Saw this a couple months ago when it played the Portland International Film Festival. The first 2 hours were a pretty good thriller, but the last half hour was just over the top. Too much stuff appearing out of left field with no context (or at least no believable context). I've been told by people who have read the book that the film holds pretty true to the storyline. If that's the case, than the book must be an everything-but-the-kitchen sink mess too.

Would agree with that... There were 3 times during the final 30 min. that I "thought" the film had ended... but it kept going. Thought that material could either fit for sequel development, or just be included with DVD extra scenes/deleted scenes.

Note: to above query. The Korean film Mother is subtitled
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
David B wrote:

Would agree with that... There were 3 times during the final 30 min. that I "thought" the film had ended... but it kept going. Thought that material could either fit for sequel development, or just be included with DVD extra scenes/deleted scenes.

Note: to above query. The Korean film Mother is subtitled

Now I think about it, you guys are right, the ending was a bit too much, but at the time I was like, hey I didn't know she could look this pretty...

The Korean film Mother sounds interesting, I hope it still plays in the second week of May when I go back to Phoenix. A while ago, I saw a Chinese movie called The Drummer, it was one of the movies from the Scottsdale Film Festival.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant wait to see this one. Wink Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y1AbjZIrpk
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the Book of Eli several days ago, anyone else see it? I was surprised with the film, I actually kind of liked it! During the whole time I was watching it, I couldn't help but think of it as a better executed version of Kevin Costner's WaterWorld.
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the general rule on remakes?

I saw the preview for the new Karate Kid movie with Jackie Chan...

Or am I just getting old already?
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deweyniner wrote:
What is the general rule on remakes?

General rule on remakes is identical to the general rule on sequels: Most likely will suck... and nearly 99% certain to be inferior to the original.

But... they virtually guarantee a predictable take for box office profits... and that is why they are made.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what to make of The Karate Kid remake. For what it was (an 80's movie) it was nearly perfect. Johnny Lawrence was the best 80's bully ever.

The trailer for the new one makes it appear that they ditched the cheesyness of the original. I'm actually kind of interested and I'm so cynical about remakes. I'll put in on my Netflix queue when it is released.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of The Karate Kid remake. For what it was (an 80's movie) it was nearly perfect. Johnny Lawrence was the best 80's bully ever. .

Loved the original (call it a "guilty pleasure" perhaps)... and the cheesiness was part of its charm.

They just released the original on Blu-ray. I was briefly tempted to buy it... but then realized that I'd likely only watch it once in a great while and go through the special features once... so put the original version in my Netflix queue (to see the Blu-ray version)
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, they are reopening a drive-in theatre in Southington, CT. (somewhat near where I am from)

ET, will be the first movie screened.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/southington/article_86e9e308-5fd1-11df-acb1-001cc4c002e0.html
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, $30 is too much but there could be some possibilities.

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/05/24/would-you-pay-30-to-watch-a-theatrical-release-at-home/

Quote:
The same-day-as-theaters video-on-demand release scheme that's recently been embraced by IFC Films and Magnolia Pictures (and occasionally a few other, smaller outfits) is the best thing since Tivo. I'm an avid and frequent user. Yes, I know: movies are meant to be seen on a movie screen, etc. In principle I agree. But the choice between schlepping to a low-rent arthouse halfway across the city to watch, say, Red Cliff, and sitting on my couch and watching it in glorious HD on my 52" screen (for the same price) is, I'm not really embarrassed to say, a no-brainer. This weekend, I watched the underrated Survival of the Dead in the comfort of my apartment. A few weeks ago, The Human Centipede.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Interesting idea, $30 is too much but there could be some possibilities.

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/05/24/would-you-pay-30-to-watch-a-theatrical-release-at-home/

Quote:
The same-day-as-theaters video-on-demand release scheme that's recently been embraced by IFC Films and Magnolia Pictures (and occasionally a few other, smaller outfits) is the best thing since Tivo. I'm an avid and frequent user. ...

I'd opt for that easily (for the right price). Many such arthouse flicks take forever to come to Phoenix. And even when they come to the Camelview 5 (with relatively more respectful audiences), there's always a chance of annoyances--cell phones going off, texting, talking, loud concession munching, etc. Wink

I kinda know the author of the article as a Facebook friend and fellow Online Film Critics Society member

Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw It might get Loud. I enjoyed it. I am a big U2 fan and still Edge was painfully out of place in this movie. I struggle with the Edge. Great for electronics and what not but great guitarist? No.
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Black Dynamite on Saturday with a bunch of friends. It's a recently made "Blaxploitation" flick. It does a great job of poking fun at the genre, and it's extremely funny. I highly recommend this one.

http://www.blackdynamite.com
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Man 2 was horrible.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: