Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Suns thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 78, 79, 80  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
TAP wrote:
Open letter tonight from Cleveland Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert... this is a must read! Shocked

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

Wow, bitter much, Mr. Gilbert?

Someone needs to show him which fonts the adults use.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More reasons the NBA is a waste of my time. Wink
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
More reasons the NBA is a waste of my time. Wink

don't like temper tantrums?

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
Hank wrote:
TAP wrote:
Open letter tonight from Cleveland Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert... this is a must read! Shocked

God I almost threw up in my mouth a little when I just thought I might have to root for the Lakers if there ends up being a Lebron vs. Kobe matchup.

Unless Lebron gets caught up in a dog fighting scandal that should not even remotely enter the mind.
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
Hank wrote:
TAP wrote:

Along with millions of other people in Ohio.

It's not like he went to the Yankees for big bucks. The Cavs offered him $30M more to stay and he basically told his hometown team and fans to fuck off and bolted.

I was a fan of LeBron's but I don't think he could have handled this any worse if he tried, with all the buildup to his hour long Crap on Cleveland ESPN Special.

God I almost threw up in my mouth a little when I just thought I might have to root for the Lakers if there ends up being a Lebron vs. Kobe matchup.

The thing I find odd in all of this is people criticizing LeBron for foregoing money and going where he thought he had the best chance to win. That is supposed to be admirable, no? I didn't care for the circus atmosphere of how he went about the announcement, but I can't fault him for deciding that it is too hard to attract top talent to Cleveland, his chances of winning NBA titles there were probably not that high, and taking a once in a generation chance to go to Miami with two other high profile players affords him the best chance to play on a dominant team.

I understand why Gilbert is disappointed, but real grown up businessmen understand that when you play the game, sometimes you lose. You simply take the lump and move on and perhaps make a generic statement that you are disappointed and will work hard to make the Cavs the best team in the NBA. The other crap he said just sounds childish.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with LeBron going to whatever team he thought was the best fit. My problem was with the dog and pony show that happened leading up to it. I thought it was disrespectful to the fans of Cleveland who had been behind him for his entire basketball career.
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
I have no problem with LeBron going to whatever team he thought was the best fit. My problem was with the dog and pony show that happened leading up to it. I thought it was disrespectful to the fans of Cleveland who had been behind him for his entire basketball career.

Agreed to a point. A simple press release would have been much classier and more appropriate as to the actual announcement. If the decision to join Bosh and Wade was actually made long ago, and these meetings and agonized pronouncements were all an act, then he deserves condemnation for that. If LeBron really did seriously look at his options before making his decision, which I wouldn't fault, then I'm not sure how a lot of the media circus could have been avoided. He is the best basketball player in the world and one of the biggest free agents of all time, in a league where great players don't move around much. The media was going to whip this process into a frenzy no matter what. He did, however, tend to play into the whole thing and helped it along, which shows the immaturity of a coddled 25 year old millionaire.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the media circus in question for me was the whole ESPN thing last night. Totally superluous and meant to do little more than self-promote.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
I think the media circus in question for me was the whole ESPN thing last night. Totally superluous and meant to do little more than self-promote.

The ONLY decision that would have made the ESPN show tolerable would have been the "loyalty to Cleveland/Ohio" script. As it played out... the dog & pony special was WAY overblown and beyond bad Hollywood script.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
The thing I find odd in all of this is people criticizing LeBron for foregoing money and going where he thought he had the best chance to win. That is supposed to be admirable, no? I didn't care for the circus atmosphere of how he went about the announcement, but I can't fault him for deciding that it is too hard to attract top talent to Cleveland, his chances of winning NBA titles there were probably not that high, and taking a once in a generation chance to go to Miami with two other high profile players affords him the best chance to play on a dominant team.

I understand why Gilbert is disappointed, but real grown up businessmen understand that when you play the game, sometimes you lose. You simply take the lump and move on and perhaps make a generic statement that you are disappointed and will work hard to make the Cavs the best team in the NBA. The other crap he said just sounds childish.

I agree with this 100%. People would have called him selfish if he took the most money in CLE. People would have called him a media whore if he went to NY. People are calling him "lazy" or accusing him of taking the easy way out now by going with other good players?

He is either a "Free Agent" or he is not.
Mangatang
Oops! Blocked by Moorad! Back to Reno!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with LeBron switching teams. It was his right, he was a free agent. But there are two things I DO have a problem with.

1.) Choosing Miami of all places. Isn't this the man everyone heralds as the best the NBA has ever seen? For clarification, I NEVER thought he was the best in the NBA. He may have athleticism and skill, but he's always lacked that killer instinct and drive that players like Jordan, Magic, and even Kobe have. Every great player needs help, but LeBron wants more than help. He wants other players like D-Wade and Bosh to start taking up the slack. It's almost like Jordan deciding to play with Larry Bird and Magic Johnson instead of Scottie Pippen.

I got the impression that he was tired of being the alpha dog, of being the top performer every night. He's going to a team where he's playing second banana to D-Wade. If that is what he wants, then fine. One again, it is his right, his choice. But the media and all the fanboys better shut the hell up and stop mentioning him as one of the greatest the NBA has ever seen. Jordan, Magic, and Kobe never backed down from a challenge, and the have the rings to prove it. Yes, they needed help, a TEAM, but they used their skills to the absolute maximum and then some. LeBron... he's gonna have to tone down his game to cooperate with D-Wade and Bosh.

2.) Like everyone else said, the circus of a show that he put on was ridiculous beyond belief. To prolong every teams interest for weeks, then crush them all (minus Miami) at the last second with that smug "The Decision" blew up his ego to new proportions. He should've spoke to Miami brass first (apparently, he told the minutes before he went on the air in "The Decision"), then spoken to Cleveland brass, then done a press conference. He was completely insensitive to what this did to Cleveland fans (though they did overreact) with this show. But, he gets the satisfaction of commanding the entire attention of the sports world for a week, culminating in an hour-long "special" all dedicated to how great he is, even though he's never been able to win a ring yet. Let him win some championships first before you start dedicating shows to his "greatness." He referred to himself in the third person no less than five times in that special. He talks like he's the best to step in the NBA, yet he settles for the easiest road that doesn't demand the best.

Bill Simmons from ESPN, before "The Decision," said it right:

Bill Simmons wrote:
Any super-competitive person would rather beat Dwyane Wade than play with him. Don't you want to find the Ali to your Frazier and have that rival pull the greatness out of you? That's why I'm holding out hope that LeBron signs with New York or Chicago (or stays in Cleveland), because he'd be saying, "Fine. Kobe, Dwight and Melo all have their teams. Wade and Bosh have their team. The Celtics are still there. Durant's team is coming. I'm gonna go out and build MY team, and I'm kicking all their asses." That's what Jordan would have done. Hell, that's what Kobe would have done.

and after "The Decision:"

Bill Simmons wrote:
Michael Jordan would have wanted to kick Dwyane Wade's butt every spring, not play with him. This should be mentioned every day for the rest of LeBron's career. It's also the kryptonite for any "Some day we'll remember LeBron James as the best basketball player ever" argument. We will not. Jordan and Russell were the greatest players of all time. Neither of them would have made the choice that LeBron did. That should tell you something.

Jordan, Magic, and Kobe are remembered as the best because the didn't take the easy road. They relished the challenge, and they produced. They had (and Kobe still does) the utmost and supreme faith in their ability to carry their team when it mattered, to see each and every game to the end (though Kobe did have a few hiccups: lets not forget that Phoenix-LA Game 7 in the '07 playoffs). It seems to me LeBron doesn't even have faith in himself.

I don't fault him for being disloyal or selfish, b/c he had a right to choose whatever team he wished, and he took a pay cut (though the money he will make in advertising and endorsements in Miami will FAR outweigh said pay cut). I fault him for taking the easy road while maintaining this "I am the King" atmosphere. Sorry LeBron, but you're gonna be the Prince to D-Wade's King. He has every right to that, to go down to Miami and be the second man on that team. But he, and everyone else, better stop with the "Best in the NBA" crap.

I am not a Kobe fan. He has his faults, and he plays for the freaking Lakers. But I'll take him over LeBron any day of the week. The rings speak for themselves.
Chris24YoungFan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought LeBron will end up making $1 million more with the Heat because of the no state income tax in Florida?

And I will never root for Kobe & LA over the Heat. Can't.
Mangatang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24YoungFan wrote:
I thought LeBron will end up making $1 million more with the Heat because of the no state income tax in Florida?

I can't find a source, but I thought he received an offer for nearly $120 mil from Cleveland, but has settled for a $99 mil contract in Miami. I'm not too sure, though.

I'm not saying I'd root for Kobe & the Lakers over the Heat (though I really can't bring myself to root for the Heat now period). I'm just saying if I had to pick one person to put on my team, to take that last shot with the game on the line... I'd take Kobe.

Laker fans are still confident they'll get that repeat title next season, even with the top-heavy Heat coming into town. Their arrogance knows no bounds, and I would love to see them denied.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to an NBA Finals next year without the Lakers or the Heat.

The dog and pony show concept was disgraceful.
Mangatang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
I'd like to an NBA Finals next year without the Lakers or the Heat.

The dog and pony show concept was disgraceful.

Amen, my thoughts exactly. I'd much rather have a Finals with the Suns and... someone else. Very Happy
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To take some of the focus off all the negative LeBron PR, I thought I would share an entertaining little feature on Suns rookie Gani Lawal.

Keep in mind, Gani was splitting time with the #3 overall pick in this year's draft, Derrick Favors... and he was still GT's leading rebounder. I can see him easily filling Lou Amundson's shoes this season, if not more.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
pete25
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never root for the f..ing lakers, it's like rooting for the dodgers to win the WS, DODGERS/LAKERS are rivals #1 in my list. I'll root for whoever is playing against them.
pete25
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mangatang wrote:
Chris24YoungFan wrote:

I can't find a source, but I thought he received an offer for nearly $120 mil from Cleveland, but has settled for a $99 mil contract in Miami. I'm not too sure, though.

I'm not saying I'd root for Kobe & the Lakers over the Heat (though I really can't bring myself to root for the Heat now period). I'm just saying if I had to pick one person to put on my team, to take that last shot with the game on the line... I'd take Kobe.

Laker fans are still confident they'll get that repeat title next season, even with the top-heavy Heat coming into town. Their arrogance knows no bounds, and I would love to see them denied.

Bosh and James will earn $110 million over 6 years each one and Wade will earn $107 million over 6 years too
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24YoungFan wrote:

I saw that, do you really think an extra 1% over 5 years split with his agents, publicists, manager, and everyone else who gets a payout from him factored into the decision? That was just BS pushed by right wingers so they can talk about tax cuts.
Chris24YoungFan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Chris24YoungFan wrote:

I saw that, do you really think an extra 1% over 5 years split with his agents, publicists, manager, and everyone else who gets a payout from him factored into the decision? That was just BS pushed by right wingers so they can talk about tax cuts.

Oh, I agree with you. Just brought it up for the hell of it.

Still, the fact that all 3 agreed to take less than what they could have gotten is interesting. How many other players would do that? Most want it all.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suns used that Traded Player Exception in record time...

Quote:
paulcoro

Suns on verge of trading Barbosa for Turkoglu & adding Childress in a sign-and-trade. http://bit.ly/bTjKuC

Paul Coro on Twitter.
DouXer4ouR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone can get the most out of Turkoglu it is Nash, that could be fun to watch. And Childress should be good coming off our bench. If this goes down our bench consists of Childress, Warrick, Frye, Dudley, and Dragic. Pretty damn good bench. I like it.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTAR's texting the same thing now... says Dwayne Jones traded too in that deal.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.
I'm assuming Hedo bumps Warrick out of the starting lineup and that we use a small starting 5 of Nash/JRich/Hill/Hedo/Lopez.

The biggest strength of our team last year was how talented the depth chart was. Now, with Nash, Dragic, JRich, Childress, Hedo, Hill, Frye, Warrick, Dudley, Clark, and Lopez, I think we may have even more talent this year... and that's not to mention the potential upside of Lawal and Collins.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5

Last edited by SheriffWannaBe on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to collect all of the information...

Looks like Hedo is waiving the majority of his trade kicker, also he is being acquired using NONE of the traded player exception.

So that still leaves about 5.7 million left to utilize on that little gift.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 79 of 80

Jump to: