Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Baseball Stats Defined
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was the first thing that struck me, too.

You'd think that the FO at the time would've delved a little deeper before handing out 4/32. Mad
Dangerfield
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put in webb
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerfield wrote:
put in webb

Brandon's W/L record goes from 47-45 to a neutralized 61-33. This illustrates just how clearly that is a team stat rather than just an individual stat.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Dangerfield wrote:
put in webb

Brandon's W/L record goes from 47-45 to a neutralized 61-33. This illustrates just how clearly that is a team stat rather than just an individual stat.

That's amazing!

Any more "Ace" doubters out there?
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone on the market that we should look at this way - that may be undervalued otherwise? How does mulder look?
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Anyone on the market that we should look at this way - that may be undervalued otherwise? How does mulder look?

If somebody does the Mulder calculation, be sure to post it in the Mulder thread in the "Team News" forum, as well as here!
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

If somebody does the Mulder calculation, be sure to post it in the Mulder thread in the "Team News" forum, as well as here!

3.91 ERA career
AZ SnakePit
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fox of Baseball Prospectus has updated his fascinating tool, to provide data for all pitchers and hitters over the past four seasons. It takes the balls in play and provides the breakdown as to the percentages that were grounders, fly balls, pop ups and line-drives, and also breaks each of these categories down by direction. So, if you want to see how many ground balls Chad Tracy hit to the left side last year, this program can sort you out. [Fans of Douglas Adams will not be surprised to hear that the answer is, of course, 42 Wink ] Just did a post on the blog looking at the stats for Tracy, Webb and Gonzo.
foulpole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defensive stats/info...

shoewizard wrote:
This article will give you a good overview, with links to various metrics.

Use it as a starting point, and follow the links and read up as you have time.
http://ussmariner.com/?p=3283

shoewizard wrote:
This is also a good place to read up and study
http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/dialed_in/
foulpole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thou shalt not steal? Wink

shoewizard wrote:

Read this article http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2607

Last edited by foulpole on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foulpole wrote:
thou shalt not steal?

shoewizard wrote:

Read this article http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2607

Actually the entire prospectus basics series of articles are pretty much must read for anyone getting into advanced performance analysis. Not every thing they write I agree, and not every stat they put out is overly useful. But the basics series of articles go over alot of basic concepts that help lay a ground work for further investigation.

Here is the link for the first article in the series. When you want to read the next one, click on the link at the top of the page that says "Next Column", (not the one that says next article)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2563
Dangerfield
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_profanity

we need to clean this thread up some, too many posts. The Spanish wiki stays.
diamondbacker
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would be wise to post "good", "bad", "great", and "average" stats for each stat?

Such as what is considered a good OPS, average OPS, etc.?
TAP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Bennett, senior director of research for ESPN, has devised a new point-based player rating with the following criteria:

Batters MLB ranks in:
Batting bases accumulated - 20%
Runs produced - 15%
OBP - 15%
BA - 10%
HRs - 10%
RBIs - 5%
Runs - 5%
Hits - 5%
Net steals - 5%
Team win percentage - 5%
Difficulty of defensive position - 5%
(ranked by position in this order: C,SS,2B,3B,OF,1B,DH)

Starting pitchers MLB ranks in:
ERA vs. league average weighted by IP - 40%
Wins weighted by win percentage - 20%
IP - 10%
Defensive independent bases allowed per IP - 10%
K - 10%
Opponents' BA - 10%

Relievers MLB ranks in:
Saves and wins with blown save penalty - 40%
ERA vs. league average weighted by IP - 20%
Opponents' BA - 20%
K/BB - 15%
Inherited runners stranded percentage - 5%

The position player criteria mostly seem to be more relevant than the pitching, with the old-standby RBI's at least relegated to 5% (although it could be argued that giving RBI's equal weight to defensive position is pretty whacked). For starting pitchers, it's the old Joe Morgan standards of ERA and Wins as the highest weighted measures of success. Back to the drawing board, Jeff.

In Jeff's system, Snyder and Montero are ranked 5th and 6th respectively as NL catchers; Jackson and Clark are ranked 10th and 12th as 1B; Hudson is ranked 5th as 2B; Tracy is ranked 6th as 3B; Drew is ranked 8th as SS; Byrnes and Hairston are ranked 2nd and 17th at LF; Young is ranked 8th at CF; Quentin is ranked 9th at RF.

Using his lame starting pitching weights, for NL Starting Pitchers, Webb is 7th, Hernandez is 32nd, Davis is 36th, Johnson 39th (ask Boston batters if they agree with this Wink ), and Owings 40th.

For NL RP's, Bennett has Valverde 10th and Peña 17th.

In spite of AZ players being ranked from middle of the pack down to worst at nearly position (including pitching) based on Bennett's new system, AZ has more wins than any other NL team and is tied for 1st in the NL West. Confused

LINK
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ranking system kinda sucks.

Critically reviewed HERE

He makes no park adjustments, includes team win % in his rankings, and has basically just thrown together a hodge podge of numbers without rhyme or reason. There is very little if anything statistically sound in what he has done. In short, this ranking system is a joke.
TAP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

In short, this ranking system is a joke.

Bingo.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

In short, this ranking system is a joke.

Bingo.

Imagine that.
Dangerfield
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/a-close-look-at-tim-hudson/

this should re-define things... put comments in another post

pichers goto pitch
TAP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Cameron / FanGraphs today wrote:
Last night, David announced that FanGraphs is officially carrying wOBA as our newest statistical addition. For those of you who have read The Book, you’ll be familiar with wOBA, but for those of you who aren’t, here’s a brief introduction and some reasons why you should give this new, funny sounding stat a try.

First off, wOBA is a linear weight formula presented as a rate statistic scaled to On Base Percentage. Essentially, what that means is that average wOBA will always equal average OBP for any given year. If you know what the league’s OBP is, you know what the league’s wOBA is. Usually, league average falls in the .335 range - it was .332 last year, but offense was down around the game in 2008, which may or may not continue.

So, why should you care about wOBA? What makes it better than OPS or any of the more famous rate statistics that measure offensive value? The beauty of wOBA lies in linear weights. Essentially, every outcome has a specific run value that is proportional to other outcomes - a home run is worth a little more than twice as much a single, for instance. What wOBA does, as all linear weights formulas do, is value these outcomes relative to each other so that they are properly valued.

OPS, as you probably know, significantly undervalues the ability of a hitter to get on base. It treats a .330 OBP/.470 slug as equal to a .400 OBP/.400 slug, when the latter is more conducive to scoring runs. wOBA gives proper weight to all the things a hitter can do to produce value, and is a more accurate reflection of a hitter’s value.

For a practical example, let’s look at Ryan Ludwick versus Hanley Ramirez. Ludwick had a .966 OPS versus a .940 OPS for Ramirez - not a huge difference, but one most people would consider significant. If you put a lot of stock in OPS, you’d probably argue that Ludwick had a better offensive season.

However, Ramirez actually had a slightly higher wOBA, .403 to .401. This is due to the fact that Ramirez posted a .400/.540 line compared to Ludwick’s .375/.591 mark. Ramirez’s 25 point advantage in OBP was slightly more valuable than Ludwick’s 51 point advantage in SLG, and wOBA reflects this.

The other great advantage wOBA has is that it’s extremely easy to convert into run values. Simply take a player’s wOBA difference from the league average, divide by 1.15, and multiply that by how many plate appearances he got, and you have a run value above or below average for that player.

For instance, using Ramirez, who we already said had a .403 wOBA, which is 72 points higher than the 2008 NL average of .331. 0.072 / 1.15 = 0.063. 0.063 * 700 = 43.82 runs above average.

wOBA - league average wOBA divided by 1.15 times plate appearances = runs above average by linear weights. Simple, easy, and accurate. This is the joy of wOBA.

If you want a solid, context-neutral statistic that values hitting properly, wOBA is a great place to start. Some of the other great stats here on FanGraphs, such as WPA/LI and WPA, take context into account to add or subtract value based on how a hitter did in certain situations, but there are times when you just want to know how a batter did at the plate, regardless of who was on base or what the score was at the time. For those, wOBA is the perfect answer.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The other great advantage wOBA has is that it’s extremely easy to convert into run values. Simply take a player’s wOBA difference from the league average, divide by 1.15, and multiply that by how many plate appearances he got, and you have a run value above or below average for that player.

Yeah, that sounds easy... Shocked Rolling Eyes
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, that sounds easy... Shocked Rolling Eyes

Hehe... This is why OPS could actually stick around in more casual baseball fan's heads.

Once the author mentiond "linear weighting" the MLB board audience's head exploded.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure i am WAY late on this... but i was looking at Fangraphs (FINALLY), and boy have they added some really cool stuff.

To be honest, i havent gotten too deep into how it is all derived, but they are getting close to being a one-stop shop for alot of stat related things.

Link to Montero (as example)
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/stat_minded_player
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anywhere that OPS+ stats would be sortable by position for this season. I was discussing with a friend that Chris Snyder's production as a catcher is overlooked. I wanted to find OPS+ for catchers this season, but I was having trouble doing so at baseball-reference. If it's not possible to do or if I'm just an idiot who can't figure out how to do it, could someone let me know? Smile
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Salad wrote:
Is there anywhere that OPS+ stats would be sortable by position for this season. I was discussing with a friend that Chris Snyder's production as a catcher is overlooked. I wanted to find OPS+ for catchers this season, but I was having trouble doing so at baseball-reference. If it's not possible to do or if I'm just an idiot who can't figure out how to do it, could someone let me know? Smile

you can do it from the BBRef Play Index, Batting Season finder. My subscription isn't currently active so I can't get the full search results. All we get is Mauer #1 at 259 OPS+. Anyway, its there if you or anyone else has an active subscription.

Just eyeballing

AL C OPS+ >100
Mauer
Posada
Varitek
VMart (1/2 games at 1B)
Napoli
Pierzynski

NL C OPS+ >100
McCann
Snyder
Baker
Flores
Hundley
Iannetta
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: