Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chase Experience
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Chase Experience Reply with quote

Attending last night's game, I noticed a few things:

1. The fans were not wearing purple. I didn't even see very many purple hats around. Red seems to have taken well. It definitely makes a stronger statement in the stands, and I think it will be noticeable even without a shirt giveaway.

2. The bathrooms are really red. They are a bit disconcerting.

3. The D-backs seem to have expanded the contingent of nubile young women entertainment from last year. There is a new announcer girl, but now they have a bunch of them roaming around and shooting shirts into the stands. It may be just me, but I kept feeling like they were going to start making out with each other any minute or that the D-backs raided the nearest strip club.

4. The D-backs were not ready for the size of crowd they had. It took about 15 or 20 minutes to get in the stadium, and concessions were a nightmare. If attendance continues to beat last year, I hope they can adjust.

5. The new white uniforms look very nice against the backdrop of the field.
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4. The D-backs were not ready for the size of crowd they had. It took about 15 or 20 minutes to get in the stadium, and concessions were a nightmare. If attendance continues to beat last year, I hope they can adjust.

consider yourself lucky, took me longer.

I wouldn't have a problem with the cheerleaders making out with each other.

Last edited by whatuwant on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatuwant wrote:
[url]4. The D-backs were not ready for the size of crowd they had. It took about 15 or 20 minutes to get in the stadium, and concessions were a nightmare. If attendance continues to beat last year, I hope they can adjust.[/url]

lol It would definitely make Chase a unique experience. It was when they were shooting the shirts into the stands that the whole thing seemed a bit surreal. It might have been the subliminal image of them with the phallic gun firing off into the crowd.
diamondbacker
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
whatuwant wrote:
[url]4. The D-backs were not ready for the size of crowd they had. It took about 15 or 20 minutes to get in the stadium, and concessions were a nightmare. If attendance continues to beat last year, I hope they can adjust.[/url]

lol It would definitely make Chase a unique experience. It was when they were shooting the shirts into the stands that the whole thing seemed a bit surreal. It might have been the subliminal image of them with the phallic gun firing off into the crowd.

No problem with that. Very Happy
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red in the stands looks WAY better than a mix of purple and white. Much stronger presence.

Took me at least 45 minutes to get through the turnstiles.

The overall Chase experience sucks, and it's sucked ever since they opened play. It's like a glorified AAA game.
Polar Bear Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Chase Experience Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
1. The fans were not wearing purple. I didn't even see very many purple hats around. Red seems to have taken well. It definitely makes a stronger statement in the stands, and I think it will be noticeable even without a shirt giveaway.

I think I got stuck next to biggerunit. I walk up to my seat and the dude sitting next to me says something about my being "one of the red people" (or something along those lines), which I pretty much ignored. Of course, glancing around my section, I'd bet around 85% of the people had at least some red attire on, and most were not wearing the t-shirts. Anyway, he continued to make periodic comments (not to me, I think/hope) regarding the colors (and front office) throughout the night, and said, "Come on, show some "purple" people," during the crowd scans. Oddly enough, the very next crowd shot showed a couple of people in purple, which made me nearly laugh out loud.

By the way, the real kicker regarding his comment is that I'm one of the season ticket holders who upgraded my plan early, and was given the free jersey and hat. I've yet to purchase any red attire on my own, although I will probably buy a "Family Value" t-shirt tonight. I really hope this guy's family doesn't have a season ticket plan next to mine.
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chase Experience Reply with quote

Polar Bear Fan wrote:
Hank wrote:

I think I got stuck next to biggerunit. I walk up to my seat and the dude sitting next to me says something about my being "one of the red people" (or something along those lines), which I pretty much ignored. Of course, glancing around my section, I'd bet around 85% of the people had at least some red attire on, and most were not wearing the t-shirts. Anyway, he continued to make periodic comments (not to me, I think/hope) regarding the colors (and front office) throughout the night, and said, "Come on, show some "purple" people," during the crowd scans. Oddly enough, the very next crowd shot showed a couple of people in purple, which made me nearly laugh out loud.

By the way, the real kicker regarding his comment is that I'm one of the season ticket holders who upgraded my plan early, and was given the free jersey and hat. I've yet to purchase any red attire on my own, although I will probably buy a "Family Value" t-shirt tonight. I really hope this guy's family doesn't have a season ticket plan next to mine.

one of the red people? man, i can't believe people care more about that than the team.

I, for your sake, also hope you don't have to sit next to him all season.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chase Experience Reply with quote

whatuwant wrote:

Moi aussi. That would be a seat from HELL!
Polar Bear Fan
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Chase Experience Reply with quote

whatuwant wrote:

Thankfully, he wasn't there tonight. Whew.

Also, in the guy's defense, he was legitimately rooting for the Diamondbacks and did seem to care more about the on field performance than the colors. Still, he said something about the colors once every couple of innings last night.
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Chase Experience Reply with quote

Polar Bear Fan wrote:
whatuwant wrote:

Also, in the guy's defense, he was legitimately rooting for the Diamondbacks and did seem to care more about the on field performance than the colors. Still, he said something about the colors once every couple of innings last night.

Clearly, it was not BU1, or he would have been rooting for the Reds.
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sense of irony shows through, Hank.
diamondbacker
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chase Experience Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
Polar Bear Fan wrote:
whatuwant wrote:

Clearly, it was not BU1, or he would have been rooting for the Reds.

No, because the Reds are being conformists and losing their individuality by wearing Combine Red. A New Brand Of Baseball.

[/sarcasm]
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chase Experience Reply with quote

diamondbacker wrote:

No, because the Reds are being conformists and losing their individuality by wearing Combine Red. A New Brand Of Baseball.
[/sarcasm]

Let it go fellas... the absence of this nonsense is what makes this board great.
diamondbacker
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Chase Experience Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
diamondbacker wrote:

[/sarcasm]

Let it go fellas... the absence of this nonsense is what makes this board great.

Good Point qudjy1... back to baseball...
Hock
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ranted on Chase/Bob before...horrible ballpark...worst I've ever been in.

When I saw the line to get in, I just went to the former Jefferson St. Grill and had a beer. That place is typical of DB baseball fans...clean, sterile, and boring. They should look to Chicago and emulate the former Cubby Bears or Goose Island...oh well.

For opening day I didn't have my season tickets, so I sat very far back in left field, under the upper deck.

I could not find a single display score or batter info that was on all the time. The giant Light Brite would show the information, but then would turn to absurd ads and graphics. I don't like the giant Light Brite around the stadium under any circumstances, couldn't they at least leave up the score all the time? The only info I could see all the time was the pitch count/K count.

The ushers are just as ridiculous as they have been in past seasons, asking to see a $12 bleacher ticket, assuring everyone sits in front of their little numbered tag, and THEY STILL DON'T SELL DOGS UP AND DOWN THE AISLE! They make a mockery of almost every baseball tradition.

On a good note…nobody attempted to start the wave…whew. Oh, opening day was a great game.

As a side note, one of the deputies told me they are going to start offering standing room only tickets at sold-out games. Anyone hear about this? If so they better un-Nazi the ushers!
nystro
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hock wrote:
I've ranted on Chase/Bob before...horrible ballpark...worst I've ever been in.

Of the ballparks I've been to, I think only the Metrodome is worse. Oh wait, I went to some Rockies games at Mile High Stadium in '94 and that was worse. But it wasn't designed for baseball and they only used it for two years before they moved into Coors. So I guess that doesn't really count.

Hock wrote:
As a side note, one of the deputies told me they are going to start offering standing room only tickets at sold-out games. Anyone hear about this? If so they better un-Nazi the ushers!

If true, I don't think this will matter very much anyway because we might not have another sell-out this year. Unless the Red Sox series really draws that well. Or until we make the postseason. Wink
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the old scoreboards they had on each side of the upper deck, just the 9 frames with R, H, E, and some space to show the player number and BA. Worked great for me, plus it's cool to see the full number of frames, completed or not. That being said, the wrap-around LED board is awesome, but they need to have the score up at all times, at least in a section of it. If only so the snake can slither from side of the stadium to the other.
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astrodome is by far the worst baseball experience ever on the history of the planet earth. There is no further discussion about it.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatuwant wrote:
Astrodome is by far the worst baseball experience ever on the history of the planet earth. There is no further discussion about it.

Have been in a few that could compete with that though:

Veteran's Stadium (deceased)
Kingdome (deceased)
Fulton County Stadium (deceased)
Candlestick
Shea Stadium
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
whatuwant wrote:

Have been in a few that could compete with that though:

Veteran's Stadium (deceased)
Kingdome (deceased)
Fulton County Stadium (deceased)
Candlestick
Shea Stadium

We've sat shivering wrapped in blankets during August night games at Candlestick watching the mini dirt and hot dog wrapper tornadoes on the field while every infield pop-up became an adventure.
whatuwant
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my comment about the astrodome is unfair. I'm a bit young, but apparently it was very cool when it was first built. I went there when it was in its death thros.

i had beer spilt on me....i was 6
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might catch some grief for this but if we're purely talking about "baseball experience", Wrigley is pretty awful. Most of the crowd has no clue what's going on and its more like a beer garden than a ballpark. Anyway, its almost unbearable to see a game there for me unless I'm in the box seats. The same box seats that have quadrupled in price in the last 10 years. Back as a freshman in college in 1998, I remember going up day of game and buying $15 box seats or even paying below face value from scalpers.

Now, with all that said... I still love the park as a whole, just too bad the fans and team that play there are so crappy. But, I catch the DBacks there every game. Those are the only games I'll pay to see, normally snag a few freebies over the course of the season to catch an extra game or two.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, they are Cubs fans. When your team has sucked for 100 years you need to find other ways to make baseball fun.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:

Now, with all that said... I still love the park as a whole, just too bad the fans and team that play there are so crappy. But, I catch the DBacks there every game. Those are the only games I'll pay to see, normally snag a few freebies over the course of the season to catch an extra game or two.

I'm planning to see the Dbacks at Wrigley for the Sunday game this year (have ticket purchased already.. somewhere down the right field line I think).

I find the Wrigley experience quaint, and do enjoy the atmosphere surrounding the park pretty cool. True that the fans are pretty clueless, but they do really love their crappy team and find ways to celebrate (or drown their perpetual sorrows).

A couple years ago was there for a weekend series to see the Dbacks blow a game in the 9th... and you would've thought that the Cubs had just won the NL pennant from their delirious reaction.

But.. when your team hasn't won the WS for 99 years... you gotta expect them to grab on to whatever they can.
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:

I'm planning to see the Dbacks at Wrigley for the Sunday game this year (have ticket purchased already.. somewhere down the right field line I think).

A couple years ago was there for a weekend series to see the Dbacks blow a game in the 9th... and you would've thought that the Cubs had just won the NL pennant from their delirious reaction.

Sweet, I only have tix for Saturday as of now, but will grab the other 2 games day of probably. Maybe we'll grab a beverage Very Happy

I was there for that game too, was a tough game to swallow considering the DBacks normally take care of the Cubs pretty easily in recent years.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: