Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Qualls [and EVERY other Reliever] BLOWS with Runners ON/RISP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
wedge wrote:
That must be his problem. If he's convinced that good pitches are a walk and 3 hits over 1/3 of an inning, he's just a little confused. Maybe he needs some therapy.

I'm pretty sure he mouthed, "Unbelievable..." as he left the field. Confused

No shit.

Funny, cause I was thinking to myself how believable it actually was at the time.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis could go in a multitude of threads - but i like it here - because i wish our staff did this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=5195322

Quote:
Twins' arms make a point to be on target

Organization stresses the importance of throwing strikes, and pitchers do exactly that

The strike-throwing culture permeates every level of the Minnesota organization. It begins with the team's amateur scouts, who are instructed to look for the attributes that foster good control, and continues in the minor leagues, where pitching to contact is repeatedly encouraged.

"As soon as you put on a Twins uniform as a pitcher or a catcher, you go after hitters,'' Mauer said. "Try to throw strikes and use your defense. That's instilled in you right when you step in a minor league clubhouse.''

It's not easy to project how an 18-year-old high school senior's control will look when he's 24, but Twins scouts focus on the traits that will give a prospect a head start. The pitcher who maintains the same arm slot, breaks his hands at the same place and drops his landing foot in the same spot after each throw has an edge over someone with an inconsistent delivery. Similarly, a pitcher with the self-assurance to pitch to contact and the demeanor to shrug off a bad-hop single or adjust to a tight strike zone is a better fit for the organizational approach. Makeup is just as important as mechanics or stuff.

"We emphasize it at the acquisition level,'' Radcliff said. "It stems from a manifesto we put together way back in the day: As a small-market club, how are you going to get an edge? We believe that command and control and makeup are true separators in the pitching category.

"We put stock in it and believe that it matters. It's a part of our DNA now at every level -- from scouting through our player development to the big leagues.''

No one embodies Twins-think more than Slowey, one of the game's more cerebral pitchers. Slowey scored a 1420 on his SATs at Upper St. Clair High School in Pennsylvania, but topped out at 84 mph on the radar gun and didn't emerge as a prospect until gaining arm strength as a sophomore and junior at Winthrop University. The Twins picked Slowey in the second round of the 2005 draft, and he posted a strikeout-walk ratio of 361-52 in the minors before graduating to the big club.

Slowey has averaged 1.56 walks per nine innings in Minnesota -- out Radke-ing Radke. On June 17, 2007, he walked Milwaukee's Prince Fielder and Bill Hall back-to-back, and found the experience so harrowing that he's yet to repeat it.

The next time Slowey walks a hitter with the bases loaded, it will be a career first. He's so precise with his repertoire, pitching coach Rick Anderson occasionally has to remind him to throw a ball above the letters just to give hitters a different look. Think Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen ever does that with Oliver Perez?

"Slowey is like Radke. He's a freak,'' Radcliff said. "He keeps pounding it in there and guys keep fouling it off, so he has to do different things to mix things up. You can almost see him out there thinking, 'I have to throw a ball here.' That's hard for him to do.''

matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

Quote:
The next time Slowey walks a hitter with the bases loaded, it will be a career first. He's so precise with his repertoire, pitching coach Rick Anderson occasionally has to remind him to throw a ball above the letters just to give hitters a different look. Think Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen ever does that with Oliver Perez?

How many of those have we given this season?
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

Quote:

9 i think.
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
matt wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

Quote:

9 i think.

too optimistic

Code:

Split    G PA AB  R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/BB   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
123     22 52 40 38 9  2  0  1  0  0 10  7  0.70 .225 .365 .350 .715 14   4   0  0  2   0   1  .235    74    83

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 5/18/2010.
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it closed

Quote:
Reliever Juan Gutierrez is among the many relievers who have struggled, but he thinks he and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr. have corrected a problem in his delivery.

"We're working on keeping my front side closed," Gutierrez said. "Me and Stott were watching the video from last year, and there's a big difference. This year, I'm opening up and giving the hitters a good look. The hitters can see that."

Gutierrez said that despite the two home runs he allowed Friday night, he feels his confidence has been restored in the past week.

"I feel like my fastball is back and my slider has come back to me," Gutierrez said. "It has been tough for me. I know I'm the guy to come in if the game's close and try to put up a zero. Probably the last two weeks I lost my confidence and if someone gets on base I thought, 'Here we go again.' "

Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Chad Qualls, he's being convinced he's pitching well, despite sucking. Maybe this is Mel's fault. Confused

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's Mel's fault Confused
wedge
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo4net wrote:
Keep it closed

Quote:
Reliever Juan Gutierrez is among the many relievers who have struggled, but he thinks he and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr. have corrected a problem in his delivery.

"We're working on keeping my front side closed," Gutierrez said. "Me and Stott were watching the video from last year, and there's a big difference. This year, I'm opening up and giving the hitters a good look. The hitters can see that."

Gutierrez said that despite the two home runs he allowed Friday night, he feels his confidence has been restored in the past week.

"I feel like my fastball is back and my slider has come back to me," Gutierrez said. "It has been tough for me. I know I'm the guy to come in if the game's close and try to put up a zero. Probably the last two weeks I lost my confidence and if someone gets on base I thought, 'Here we go again.' "

This gives me hope, although I still won't be holding my breath until I see a spotless inning.

(Eric Byrnes' Motivational Hair™ comes with seventeen free instances of Eric Byrnes Inspirationally Falling Down While Throwing The Ball©® (patent pending).)
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge wrote:
jimbo4net wrote:
Keep it closed

Quote:

This gives me hope, although I still won't be holding my breath until I see a spotless inning.

I'm not holding my breath until his ERA gets under 5.00

His ERA now is what.. barely under 9? I was at Friday's game, and he got the 1st two outs flawlessly, then the plane crashed into the mountain.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge wrote:
jimbo4net wrote:
Keep it closed

Quote:

Code:

Pitching         IP  H  R ER BB SO HR   ERA BF Pit Str Ctct StS StL GB FB LD Unk GSc IR IS    WPA  aLI RE24
Juan Gutierrez    1  0  0  0  0  0  0  8.83  3  12   7    6   0   1  1  2  0       0  0  0  0.000 0.00  0.5
Team Totals       9 17 12 10  3  5  2 10.00 46 154 101   68  11  22 14 24  8   0  11  1  1 -0.484 0.57 -7.1

This was yesterday's spotless appearance.
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was spotless because we were down by 9 Confused
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks_Nation wrote:
It was spotless because we were down by 9 Confused

Juan was doing a good job of giving up runs regardless of the situation in front of him. This is progress.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of spamming the EX Dbacks thread with useless talk about Chad Qualls, let's just put him to rest here:

Quote:
Gambo620

The Diamondbacks have just traded Chad Qualls to Tampa Bay for a player to be named later
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?query_type=franch_year&team_ID=TBD&year_ID=2009&draft_type=junreg&

I'd assume the return for Qualls will be somebody off of this list.
pete25
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
Instead of spamming the EX Dbacks thread with useless talk about Chad Qualls, let's just put him to rest here:

Quote:
Gambo620

The Diamondbacks have just traded Chad Qualls to Tampa Bay for a player to be named later
thank goodness
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?query_type=franch_year&team_ID=TBD&year_ID=2009&draft_type=junreg&

No one I am particularly thrilled about.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
baldmaga wrote:

James Pazos ... LHP ... GILBERT ... Need I say more?

EDIT: Don't think he signed...too bad Crying or Very sad
pete25
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he cost us a lot of losses and all the problems derived because of the awful bullpen AND now he has a chance to go to the playoffs and possibly the WS but not us. If there was someone who doesn't deserve going to the playoffs is this Guy. Anyway, atleast he's out of AZ.!!
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
Justin wrote:
baldmaga wrote:

James Pazos ... LHP ... GILBERT ... Need I say more?

EDIT: Don't think he signed...too bad Crying or Very sad

40th round? I didn't scroll that far down...
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, I think it's more likely the PTBNL is performance-contingent, not an '09 draftee.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
The Goat
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
In this case, I think it's more like the PTBNL is performance-contingent, not an '09 draftee.

So you are saying I am going to not have to root for the AL East to absolutely crush Qualls?
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Goat wrote:
So you are saying I am going to not have to root for the AL East to absolutely crush Qualls?

With TB taking on all of his remaining salary, it really doesn't matter how well he does; we're not going to be getting much back.

Just sing a happy song.

(In all seriousness, I am very sorry things didn't work out better for Chad in AZ. I've always been a supporter of his, and I hope he gets it back together soon... well wishes, Chad!)
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
DouXer4ouR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see him go, really can't believe how downright awful he was for us this season, but then again everyone has been bad. Maybe the Rays can bring the best out of him.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:

Quote:
Gambo620

xmas moring in july here in NJ!
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: