Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Paul Goldschmidt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacks08
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:

What we do know is that he has showcased his massive power everywhere he's been from highschool to University of Texas, Missoula and now Visalia. His track record in that department is excellent. He really does need to work on his strikeout ratio though as his numbers in that department are ugly.

Goldschmidt didn't go to UT.

My opinion is to be cautiously optimistic about Goldschmidt's Visalia performance. I don't think it makes him a top 100 guy. But if he rakes in AA like this, then he becomes one.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi

Looking a little closer - it does appear he has improved his Discipline from what what an AWFUL start in that category in the first two months of the year...

So - maybe i was a little harsh in saying he wasnt ready for AA.

I still would prefer to see even a better ratio of 2 to 1 K/BB.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Yeah i know what you mean and i think your point is extremely valid. Goldshmidt will have to prove his power translates to the upper levels, Mobile & Reno and eventually the ML. Also he has to cut his K's down like you pointed.

(copied from other thread)

I have no doubt Goldie's power is legit -- you don't simply run into that many home runs.

Rather, the concern is that he can cut back on his free swinging ways to utilize that tremendous strength by putting the ball in play more often. As they say, you can't "hit for power" without "hit".

Q is quite accurate in his observation, though; Paul has really improved that K/BB since May, although his K% of 28+% is really what needs to change.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so humid in Mobile, if he can hit 10 HR's I'll be impressed. Laughing
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks08 wrote:

Goldschmidt didn't go to UT.

My mistake i forgot he went Texas State where he broke all sorts of HR records i believe.
ohdbacks
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its just me, but I dont buy that since its the "Cali league stadiums" the numbers don't count or carry much weight...Obviously Goldy needs to cut down on K's but he is in the cleanup spot for a reason...to drive in runs, he has 85 RBIs...a K is better than a DP...i think people get too upset over a K....of course you still want to make productive outs and not K w RISP....

But in Goldy and even Krauss's case they both are very good at OBP...Krauss ranked 10th and Goldy 20th in Cal League and in that same top 20 OBP leaderboard, Goldy and Krauss are 1 and 2 in RBIs out of those 20...they are doing their job well of being the 3 and 4 hitters, and doing damage not just trying to get on base...
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohdbacks wrote:
Maybe its just me, but I dont buy that since its the "Cali league stadiums" the numbers don't count or carry much weight...Obviously Goldy needs to cut down on K's but he is in the cleanup spot for a reason...to drive in runs, he has 85 RBIs...a K is better than a DP...i think people get too upset over a K....of course you still want to make productive outs and not K w RISP....

But in Goldy and even Krauss's case they both are very good at OBP...Krauss ranked 10th and Goldy 20th in Cal League and in that same top 20 OBP leaderboard, Goldy and Krauss are 1 and 2 in RBIs out of those 20...they are doing their job well of being the 3 and 4 hitters, and doing damage not just trying to get on base...

Yeah - the problem with Ks in the low minors is not that it "is the same as other outs", its just a good predictor of success (or lack there of) at higher leagues.

Like i said - Goldschmidt has shown progress this year - so thats good.

We just need to practice cutting down on Ks in the lower minors - so we know what pitches to hit when things get more difficult down the road.

Im not bagging on the guy - i just want to see some more progress at controlling the strike zone, and eventually showing similar power numbers at the next level. Then we can talk about him being legit or not.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

Like i said - Goldschmidt has shown progress this year - so thats good.

We just need to practice cutting down on Ks in the lower minors - so we know what pitches to hit when things get more difficult down the road.

Hear Hear
dbacks08
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sickels' answer when being asked if Goldschmidt's performance would warrant a B rating as a prospect:

"no. B- perhaps. maybe strong C+/. Donít trust Cal League stats, and would need to get more scouting information too"
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they'll send him to the AFL this year? Initial rosters should be out in a bout a month, so I'm sure they're already working on it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
I wonder if they'll send him to the AFL this year? Initial rosters should be out in a bout a month, so I'm sure they're already working on it.

I would be interesting to see how he performances against such strong competition at this stage in his career.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: