Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Kirk Gibson as Manager
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacks watcher
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always an unorthodox choice in ,ahem, any circle to hire people in positions of authority for which they have no experience at any level!
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaine Boyer said the bullpen has been revived by the new attitude instilled by interim manager Kirk Gibson.

"The old us, what we were, might have caved in," he said. "This team's got so much fight in it right now. We've just kind of got a new lease on life, a new outlook."
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Blaine Boyer said the bullpen has been revived by the new attitude instilled by interim manager Kirk Gibson.

"The old us, what we were, might have caved in," he said. "This team's got so much fight in it right now. We've just kind of got a new lease on life, a new outlook."

when you win, these quotes look great....

when you lose these quotes look empty....

amazing what winning does for a team and its fans
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
TAP wrote:

when you win, these quotes look great....

when you lose these quotes look empty....

amazing what winning does for a team and its fans

Right - lets win a game on the road first before we start crowing.

Also - how weak is it that professional baseball players need a managers attitude to get them to perform.

But - if these guys believe there is a difference - and it translates to better performance - thats great.
Dylan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

Does it actually translate to performance and ultimately wins? We'll see I guess.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe it's a case of the manager getting credit for a team when it plays well and players getting the blame when they play poorly? 3-10 in the first 13 games, but win the next 3 and now they're fired up? Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Gibson to be a great manager for this team and get them totally turned around, but please...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didnt seem too fired up last friday night. In fact they seemed like they didnt even give a shit.

Gracie even said "They cashed it in tonight"

Take these 3 wins and transfer it over 10 games, then 20, then we can talk.

Four game series against the Giants who are a much better team. We mail it in tonight our excuse is last nights game.

Then we will be lucky to win 1 of the next 3.

2 of 4 will be a christmas miracle. Wink
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
Or maybe it's a case of the manager getting credit for a team when it plays well and players getting the blame when they play poorly? 3-10 in the first 13 games, but win the next 3 and now they're fired up? Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Gibson to be a great manager for this team and get them totally turned around, but please...

x2
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Baggarly beat writer for the Giants had this to say about Gibby. I didnt watch the game yesterday so cant comment. I will leave that up to you all.

The Diamondbacks are awful, they strike out too much and they canít get a hit with runners in scoring position. But with Kirk Gibson, some of those things will change.

I liked the way Gibson managed the early innings today. When Aubrey Huff grimaced as he stepped back to first base on a pickoff throw, Gibson quickly called for another. (Huff nearly rolled his ankle but was OK, by the way.)

When the Giants had runners at the corners in the second inning, there was a question to whether Tim Lincecum would bunt after swinging at the first pitch. Gibson had his pitcher, Barry Enright, fake to third to see if Lincecum would square. He didnít.

The next pitch was a pitchout. The runners werenít going.

And on the next pitch, Lincecum squared to bunt and got it down, advancing the trail runner to second base.

Thatís the kind of cat-and-mouse stuff I love to see.

Gibson had one other bit of brilliance, calling for a hit-and-run with Augie Ojeda after Gerardo Parra hit a two-out single. Shortstop Edgar Renteria vacated his position to cover second base and Ojedaís ground ball went through. The nice play set up a two-run double for Enright, who can swing it a little.

One other feather in Gibsonís cap: He didnít bite on the decoy when Rowand went out to the on-deck circle for Lincecum in the eighth. Gibson intentionally walked Freddy Sanchez, and Lincecum emerged from the dugout to hit.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the telecast said that the D'Backs are the best in the league with RISP...

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
IIRC, the telecast said that the D'Backs are the best in the league with RISP...

It's a shame that team wasn't at bat with first and third and no one out in the 8th inning of a 2-2 ballgame; or at bat with runners on the corners and one out in the 9th inning of a 2-2 ballgame... because that team would probably have won the game, rather than losing 3-2 in the 10th inning... Evil or Very Mad

You also have to love the irony of using Cole Gillespie instead of Mark "Special K" Reynolds as a pinch-hitter to avoid (as Schulte and Candiotti speculated) a strikeout - only to have Gillespie strike out...
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
Jdub wrote:

It's a shame that team wasn't at bat with first and third and no one out in the 8th inning of a 2-2 ballgame; or at bat with runners on the corners and one out in the 9th inning of a 2-2 ballgame... because that team would probably have won the game, rather than losing 3-2 in the 10th inning... Evil or Very Mad

You also have to love the irony of using Cole Gillespie instead of Mark "Special K" Reynolds as a pinch-hitter to avoid (as Schulte and Candiotti speculated) a strikeout - only to have Gillespie strike out...

the fact MR27 was not used tells me (and should tell him) that he can say what he wants about the K's not being a big deal....they are

Mark, i love you, but you HAVE to cut down on the K's seriously, no joke

Cole Gillespie was used over you... not cause he is a better hitter than you..

Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:
Jdub wrote:

the fact MR27 was not used tells me (and should tell him) that he can say what he wants about the K's not being a big deal....they are

Mark, i love you, but you HAVE to cut down on the K's seriously, no joke

Cole Gillespie was used over you... not cause he is a better hitter than you..

NTTAWWT Laughing
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Diamondbacks are awful, they strike out too much and they canít get a hit with runners in scoring position.

Well....half right

NL Team BA W/ RISP

1. AZ .278
2. SD .276
3. CIN .274
4. FLA .270
15. SFO .245
16. Hou .242

Lg avg .261

Don't you just love well informed writers ? Laughing
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Quote:
The Diamondbacks are awful, they strike out too much and they canít get a hit with runners in scoring position.

Well....half right

NL Team BA W/ RISP

1. AZ .278
2. SD .276
3. CIN .274
4. FLA .270
15. SFO .245
16. Hou .242

Lg avg .261

oh snap
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
Quote:

Well....half right

NL Team BA W/ RISP

1. AZ .278
2. SD .276
3. CIN .274
4. FLA .270
15. SFO .245
16. Hou .242

Lg avg .261

oh snap

how is that possible (not saying shoe is telling us a lie) but all i remember is guys left on base left and right!

this stat makes me thing of T.O.P. in football, if you win 30-21 no one cares your T.O.P. is ten min. less than the team you just beat..

we may have the best ave.... but we dont score enough runs

shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the 3rd fewest PA's W/RISP.

IOW, we don't get enough men on base and into scoring position in the first place.

We have a league avg OBP, but we strikeout so much and have a below lg avg B.A., so we don't get guys into scoring position much.
[url]
ttp://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/split.cgi?t=b&lg=NL&year=2010#RISP[/url]
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
We have the 3rd fewest PA's W/RISP.

IOW, we don't get enough men on base and into scoring position in the first place.

We have a league avg OBP, but we strikeout so much and have a below lg avg B.A., so we don't get guys into scoring position much.
[url]
ttp://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/split.cgi?t=b&lg=NL&year=2010#RISP[/url]

Ah the turd lining on the only positive stat for the team....
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

Im pretty sure he was talking about the 4 games he saw where the DBACKS went 5-35 in the four game set vs the Giants.

But if not you know what I say never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Wink Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: