Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scottsdale Loop 101 Cameras to be activatedFeb 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really against the pay for use thing for things like roads and infrastructure - but defending yourself is among those most basic of rights that shouldn't require taxes and above what we already pay.
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm with you there.

The photo radar cameras aren't, and never were for safety reasons. Pure revenue.

The Oregon thing is double taxation, you've already paid the taxes to pay for those roads.

In places where there are toll roads, the tolls are supposed to be offsetting the taxes set aside for the initial build, and for upkeep.

The Coconino County thing, we agree is BS.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deweyniner wrote:
The photo radar cameras aren't, and never were for safety reasons. Pure revenue.

The problem that i have is we are confusing two separate issues - the cameras themselves, and the administration of the camera program.

The Cameras arent the real issue there, its the fees and administration of them that is the problem... and knuckleheads like those in Coconino County ruin the benefits of efficient law enforcement, by making a joke of the fees, locating the cameras in places that probably aren't about safety, not treating it like real laws (no teeth behind points and paying fines), building in an incentive to the subcontractor to catch more people, and trying to put more fees on challenges. All that stuff is the garbage here.

I still think, that if done correctly, the cameras could really add alot to the safety of our highways.

Here is a start on how:
1. No Traps, no surprises. Camera enforced zones should be clearly marked with a warning sign or whatever. There should be no large speed changes in the zone
2. No fees on challenges - just like if you challenged a officer issued ticket. That thing is BS.
3. Better technology. How about a short video with time stamp, and distance traveled - something like that.
4. If its a law that you are enforcing, treat it like one. Points, Issued in person, all of the things that need to happen when an officer does it.
5. Revenue generated should not be a part of any government budget.
6. NO incentives for subcontractors based on number of tickets.. thats dumb, and just asking for stupid shit to happen.

Im sure there are otehr things i will think of, and something i have forgotten - but thats a start.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternative use for a speed camera:

Quote:
Poland: Man Uses Speed Camera to Power Neighborhood
It took more than a year to find a man used a nearby speed camera to power two neighborhood houses in Mragowo, Poland.

Police photo of Polish camera tapA 44-year-old Polish man came up with a better use for the speed camera that had constantly flashed outside his home in Mragowo, a town north of Warsaw. The man, identified by Warminsko-Mazurska police only as Piotr W., admitted last week to burying an extension cord two feet underground to tap into the automated ticketing machine's power supply.

Between December 2007 and January 2009, the camera powered not only the man's home, but that of a neighbor. It took more than a year before officials noticed that the electricity bill for the police was unusually high. On January 27, an officer who was sent out to investigate found the buried cord and followed it to Piotr's home.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... thats funny.
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one way to get back at the gov't.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story about Cameras in Chandler
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, balls. I was just driving down I-17 and I think I got hit by a damn mobile camera. I was keeping my speed to to about 60 the entire way except apparently right before I came up to this camera. I saw it and looked down to see that I was above the threshold (barely if at all). I hit my brakes and dropped my speed, but I doubt that did any good.

I just took a pay cut at my job, too. This is absolutely fucking perfect.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arizona Republic today wrote:
Elimination of the state's speed camera program wouldn't happen until July 2010 under new legislation proposed by a lawmaker who originally wanted an immediate repeal.

Republican Rep. Sam Crump of Anthem says an amendment set for committee consideration Wednesday afternoon deals with colleagues' concerns about potential liability to the state resulting from an immediate repeal.

The contract with the company running the Department of Public Safety speed camera program requires state payments if it is canceled before it runs out in 2010.

The new version of Crump's bill also contains numerous provisions imposing new requirements and restrictions on signs, speed limits and other aspects before the program expires.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
The contract with the company running the Department of Public Safety speed camera program requires state payments if it is canceled before it runs out in 2010.

What? The guy who negotiated the AIG bailout that left in the payment of bonuses also handled this deal? Rolling Eyes
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
TAP wrote:

What? The guy who negotiated the AIG bailout that left in the payment of bonuses also handled this deal? Rolling Eyes

American Traffic Solutions Inc. in Scottsdale is the company. Chief Financial Officer Adam Draizin discussed their revenue model this week:

Quote:
Question: How do you project revenue, since enforcement changes people's behavior?

Draizin: Our business model has two pricing methods. One is a fixed fee, in which cities pay us a fixed fee per month. The other is a variable fee, where we get a cut off a ticket. About 65 percent of our revenues are coming from fixed-fee contracts, so that's predictable. On the variable side, there are things Adam [Chief Operating Officer Adam Tuton] does to make sure we put our fixed assets into locations that actually generate tickets.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems like this deal needs to be re-negotiated, and a better fee model developed.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today on the news, they showed someone up in Phoenix that sped through one of these things with a monkey mask on. They showed the bw photo. I thought it was funny. I am not sure if it was the Scottsdale loop since the volume was too low.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not wholly opposed to photo radar but I'm very much against it being used solely for revenue generation. I was driving back from the Mogollon Rim today and as you get into Star Valley outside of Payson the speed limit drops and there is a camera right after that as you get into town. There is no posted speed limit near the cameras. IMO, if there is a photo enforcement zone it needs to have clearly posted speed limit signs that lead into it.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I'm not wholly opposed to photo radar but I'm very much against it being used solely for revenue generation. I was driving back from the Mogollon Rim today and as you get into Star Valley outside of Payson the speed limit drops and there is a camera right after that as you get into town. There is no posted speed limit near the cameras. IMO, if there is a photo enforcement zone it needs to have clearly posted speed limit signs that lead into it.

I agree.
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

We make that trip a lot, and I got nailed there once. The eastbound camera is really insidious--they've painted it brown to match the rocks behind it so it's harder to see.

Because of those cameras, I never patronize any businesses in Star Valley anymore. We used to stop in town fairly regularly for gas and supplies, but we just go on into in Payson now. I know it doesn't make any real difference, but it's my little protest.
...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:
matt wrote:

We make that trip a lot, and I got nailed there once. The eastbound camera is really insidious--they've painted it brown to match the rocks behind it so it's harder to see.

Because of those cameras, I never patronize any businesses in Star Valley anymore. We used to stop in town fairly regularly for gas and supplies, but we just go on into in Payson now. I know it doesn't make any real difference, but it's my little protest.

Good for you. The truth is as much as I've been butthurt about photo radar, you only get a ticket if you break the law but I think people deserve the right to know exactly what the law is when they break it.
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we made the news in the Times accross the pond.

Link
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras are coming down

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a shame. It doesnt have to be about the money. This state is unbelievable.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sad to see them go but I think the freeways were safer with them installed. The argument that it creates massive speed up/slow down doesn't hold water. I drive those freeways every day and it doesn't happen.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An inattentive driver is an inattentive driver whether the cameras are there or not. I'm glad they're going away, though. I hope they hold up to the promise of more cops on the road. I don't care about moderate speeders (like me). I care about drunk drivers, road ragers and just plain bad drivers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TAP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona ends its groundbreaking speed enforcement program Thursday with the expiration of a company's two-year contract that put dozens of cameras along Phoenix-area freeways and other highways across the state.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Thats a shame. It doesnt have to be about the money. This state is unbelievable.

It's about politics... cameras come down soon enough before the primary to add a few votes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: