Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Loux fails physical

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XB3
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Loux fails physical Reply with quote

D'Backs' First-Rounder Fails Physical
By Luke Adams [July 12 at 7:33am CST]

SATURDAY, 10:52pm: Barret Loux, Arizona's first-round pick in this year's draft, has failed his physical exam, reports Tracy Ringolsby of FOX Sports. According to Ringolsby, the Diamondbacks have broken off negotiations with Loux, who they picked sixth overall last month.

When the D'Backs selected the Texas A&M right-hander, John Manuel wrote that it was the first pick of the draft Baseball America didn't like. Manuel noted that Loux wasn't considered a consensus first-rounder and that the right-hander had surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow at A&M. Loux also received a heavy workload leading up to the draft, throwing 123+ pitches on four different occasions between May 6th and June 4th.

Considering slot money for the sixth overall pick is approximately $2.6MM, the D'Backs seem unlikely to reach an agreement with Loux if his health is a concern. Ringolsby indicates that the decision to draft Loux was made by Josh Byrnes, and that the move may have played a part in the Arizona GM losing his job.

If the D'Backs do not sign Loux, they'll receive the seventh overall pick in next year's draft as compensation.
azentropy
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covered in another thread but...

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/07/11/10/Post-Game-Report-July-11-Enright-fits-ri/landing_dbacks.html?blockID=269649&feedID=3607

MORE ON LOUX

Right-hander Barret Loux, the D-backs’ No. 1 draft pick and the sixth player taken overall in the June draft, was found to have a shoulder issue during his physical exam, sources with knowledge of the situation said Sunday, raising questions as to whether the D-Backs will sign him.

Loux, 21, had elbow and shoulder ailments earlier in his career, although he seemed to have put any worries to rest this season at Texas A&M, when his fastball was clocked at 95 mph and he helped the Aggies to an NCAA Super Regional.

Loux had bone chips removed from his right elbow in 2009 and missed about two months in his senior year at Houston Stratford High with a tender shoulder in 2007, according to Baseball America. He turned down an $800,000 signing bonus from Detroit after being drafted in 2007, opting for A&M.

If the D-Backs do not reach contract terms with Loux, they would have the No. 7 pick in the 2011 draft as compensation, plus their own first-round pick, which right now would be N. 3.
bigyellowbud
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...not good news, especially when pitching is something that you're always looking to upgrade. The bite of this is that the D-backs picked Loux thinking they'd sign him at no greater than slot. Of course, now they could sign him well under slot.

Looking back...would've liked to seen them pick the lefty Sales. Of course..he might not been able to sign at slot $...???
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigyellowbud wrote:
Man...not good news...

How is this not good news?

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
bigyellowbud wrote:
Man...not good news...

How is this not good news?

X2
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigyellowbud wrote:
Man...not good news, especially when pitching is something that you're always looking to upgrade. The bite of this is that the D-backs picked Loux thinking they'd sign him at no greater than slot. Of course, now they could sign him well under slot.

Looking back...would've liked to seen them pick the lefty Sales. Of course..he might not been able to sign at slot $...???

Chris Sale would defintely have signed for the slot bonus at the 6th pick as he agreed for a below slot signing with the White Sox at the 14th spot. The kid wants to play as soon as possible and that would have made sign at or near slot.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
bigyellowbud wrote:

Chris Sale would defintely have signed for the slot bonus at the 6th pick as he agreed for a below slot signing with the White Sox at the 14th spot. The kid wants to play as soon as possible and that would have made sign at or near slot.

I think someone at the 'Pit also works with the D'Backs.
Someone was convinced that he had 100% chance of destroying his arm.
They didn't think he had any chance AT ALL to have a good career.
Like, not even a .5% chance.
He was dead-set on it.

Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:
bigyellowbud wrote:

He was dead-set on it.

Who?
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
think someone at the 'Pit also works with the D'Backs.
He was dead-set on it.

Not to discount the assertion, but I'm fairly certain that somebody working for the Diamondbacks would not be sharing this level of information on a baseball message board.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Jdub wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:
bigyellowbud wrote:

He was dead-set on it.

Who?

Sale.

Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Jdub wrote:
He was dead-set on it.

Not to discount the assertion, but I'm fairly certain that somebody working for the Diamondbacks would not be sharing this level of information on a baseball message board.

Confused
I wasn't saying that seriously.

TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
TAP wrote:
Jdub wrote:
He was dead-set on it.

Confused
I wasn't saying that seriously.

ah
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:
bigyellowbud wrote:

He was dead-set on it.

I know I originally said that if Sale fell to us, we should take him, but I saw those pictures that he posted on draft day and that was ugly. It pretty much changed my mind...It didn't look that bad on video for some reason.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trKOR wrote:
Jdub wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:
bigyellowbud wrote:

He was dead-set on it.

I know I originally said that if Sale fell to us, we should take him, but I saw those pictures that he posted on draft day and that was ugly. It pretty much changed my mind...It didn't look that bad on video for some reason.

Yeah, I saw a .gif of his delivery, it looked brutal.
But the video didn't seem all that bad, just funky is all.

levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed my emotional after picking the Dbacks. I'll sign for slot money.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
trKOR wrote:

Yeah, I saw a .gif of his delivery, it looked brutal.
But the video didn't seem all that bad, just funky is all.

Not to get off-topic, but there are many red flags in Sale's delivery -- the presence of the inverted-W, an inconsistent and typically weak font-side, and an occasionally curtailed and painful follow through, to name a few.

Also, don't forget that while the Dbacks can sign Loux for a lot less right now, they could also decline to sign him, pick up that 7 pick, and still re-draft Loux and sign him for about his current going rate, given his now-extensive injury history.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
Also, don't forget that while the Dbacks can sign Loux for a lot less right now, they could also decline to sign him, pick up that 7 pick, and still re-draft Loux and sign him for about his current going rate, given his now-extensive injury history.

You can't pick a player twice, unless the player approves. I don't think Loux would.

SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
You can't pick a player twice, unless the player approves. I don't think Loux would.

There's 30 teams. You decline one, the market for your talents shrinks 3.33%. No player in their right mind would decline a team re-draft rights, unless they had a good reason to... and I don't call failing a physical a good reason to hold a grudge.
The Goat
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought of the same strategy that SheriffWannabe proposed. That would actually be a hell of a move to throw him back and draft him again in the later rounds if he accepted.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else, you get a year of due diligence (of sorts) to see if Loux's shoulder is strong enough to merit being signed.

As a guy who was looked at as a fringe 1st-2nd rounder before the injury, he'll be there at the top of the second round (barring a shockingly dominant season), if not lower, where you could draft him and offer him more than his current worth and less than the 1-6 slot.

Granted, the budget for the 2011 draft would have to be steep, but so long as we don't sign Linton or Ziomek this year, I could see a large portion of the '10 budget being rolled over.

Or you could just forget about Loux entirely and spend the money elsewhere.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did the team DR. check him out before the draft?
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Yes, he said, he had a bad case of missing Loux.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Yes, he said, he had a bad case of missing Loux.

Very Happy
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: