Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cubs to shop Zambrano (& now Bradley) this offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/09/padres-are-openminded-about-milton-bradley.html

Quote:
"We could be in the market for an outfielder," Towers said. "I'm not saying it's necessarily Milton. But our experience with him was rather a positive one. It wasn't really a negative one."
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ubiquitous bad contracts...

San Diego or San Francisco could be destination for Milton Bradley
Giants' Aaron Rowand appears to be plausible contract swap for suspended Chicago Cubs outfielder

"Going back on the situation and looking at it, the whole reason why I got that No Trade Clause was because if I ever were to hit that free agent market, I was right in line with Aaron Rowand, and if you guys know anything about Aaron Rowand, he got a 5-year $60 million deal. Okay? That's why I wanted a No Trade Clause because essentially I gave the Diamondbacks a discount."
- Eric Byrnes
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
I was messin around trying to get some idea from cub fans if an EB for MB is somewhat palatable.

The consensus i found was that CHC might be willing to pitch in some money as well. Not alot, but still.

Chicago Cub fans, maybe but not the Chicago Cubs.
Cubs wouldn't pitch in any money in a MB for EB swap.
Cubs fans just want Bradley out.
Cubs could find a much better player if they want to do a "bad contract for bad contract" swap.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
I was messin around trying to get some idea from cub fans if an EB for MB is somewhat palatable.

The consensus i found was that CHC might be willing to pitch in some money as well. Not alot, but still.

Cubs could find a much better player if they want to do a "bad contract for bad contract" swap.

Maybe - but probably not one with only one year left on thier deal. Trading MB for EB would be better than just releasing him - because they would save about 5-7 mllion, and get a player back.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Jdub wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

Maybe - but probably not one with only one year left on thier deal. Trading MB for EB would be better than just releasing him - because they would save about 5-7 mllion, and get a player back.

Very true. I don't think the Cubs hold any leverage in trade talks. They want him gone.
And Hendry isn't the smartest GM in the world.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well right - they just want him out of there - so anything they get back is a bonus.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_heyman/09/28/playoff.payrolls/2.html

Quote:
The Padres are a rare team known to have some interest in troubled outfielder Milton Bradley. Texas was the one place Bradley thrived most, but sources indicate that's a long shot now. The idea of importing Bradley at a time the team's for sale makes little sense.

So - the Padres are interested in bringing Bradley BACK to SD. Must not be THAT bad of a guy.

We have to get involved here. If only to keep the Padres from getting a smoking deal.
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_heyman/09/28/playoff.payrolls/2.html

Quote:
The Padres are a rare team known to have some interest in troubled outfielder Milton Bradley. Texas was the one place Bradley thrived most, but sources indicate that's a long shot now. The idea of importing Bradley at a time the team's for sale makes little sense.

So - the Padres are interested in bringing Bradley BACK to SD. Must not be THAT bad of a guy.

We have to get involved here. If only to keep the Padres from getting a smoking deal.

From the article that I linked previously in this thread:

Paul Sullivan / Chicago Tribune wrote:
So far, Padres GM Kevin Towers is the only one on record to say he may have interest in Bradley, who played for him in 2007.

"I haven't had any calls from Jim about him," Towers told ESPN.com. "But I think people kind of know what players we target. We have to take chances sometimes. We took a chance on Milton the first time we had him, and he actually played pretty well [before his knee injury].We could be in the market for an outfielder. I'm not saying it's necessarily Milton. But our experience with him was rather a positive one. It wasn't really a negative one."
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, back to Zambrano...

SportingNews.com today wrote:
Carlos Zambrano says if he has another season as ugly as this one, he'll retire after 2010, he tells the Chicago Tribune. "Look, this is the only season I haven't won 16 or 18 or 14 games," he said. "If it happens again next season, two seasons in a row, I'll quit. Believe me, I'll quit. I just have to put this behind me."

Talk is cheap. We'll believe it when we see it, Carlos.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me - AZ isnt in all that different a situation than SD. Having a small payroll, you have to take some chances on guys whose value might be underrated by the market because of off-field stuff (injurys, psycho).

I also wonder if some of our young players are a little too comfortable / coddled.

I would also love the irony of MB traded for EB (fake hustle quote)
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Meanwhile, back to Zambrano...

SportingNews.com today wrote:
Carlos Zambrano says if he has another season as ugly as this one, he'll retire after 2010, he tells the Chicago Tribune. "Look, this is the only season I haven't won 16 or 18 or 14 games," he said. "If it happens again next season, two seasons in a row, I'll quit. Believe me, I'll quit. I just have to put this behind me."

Talk is cheap. We'll believe it when we see it, Carlos.

he is full of crap
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zambrano has another hissy fit, gets suspended indefinitely by the Cubs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0626-sider-cubs-city-series-ch20100625,0,128485.story

Quote:
With hundreds of fans at U.S. Cellular Field having a bird's-eye view and the entire White Sox dugout watching in disbelief, Zambrano then engaged in a yelling match with first baseman Derrek Lee before manager Lou Piniella sent him home in a replica of what he did last season with Milton Bradley after dugout tirade at the Cell.

While the Cubs suspended Zambrano indefinitely, chances are the players' union will limit its length and he will be paid. General manager Jim Hendry said the Cubs won't be able nullify the rest of his contract for behavior detrimental to the team, though he called Zambrano's performance a "tired act" that won't be tolerated.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how their tolerance level is lower now that Z has a 5+ ERA and a 1.65 WHIP. He's the same Jackass he always was, but when he was good and healthy, they put up with it.
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Funny how their tolerance level is lower now that Z has a 5+ ERA and a 1.65 WHIP. He's the same Jackass he always was, but when he was good and healthy, they put up with it.

When he was performing well and punched out his catcher in the dugout, they simply traded the catcher.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Zambrano is the all-time club leader in apologies.

LOL! Zambrano's an idiot.
It's one thing act like a jackass if you can get it done on the field. It's another to act and play like crap.
Fans often forget the human element in players... players like Z -- and Bradley, for that matter -- are shocking reminders.

And one more thing: Ryan Theriot, don't confuse passion with ignorance.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: