Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Parvovirus: the Canine Black Plague

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Parvovirus: the Canine Black Plague Reply with quote

So, about two weeks ago my puppy (Rottweiler, 7 months) came down with Parvo. Our 6 year old Golden retriever has not had it, and we haven't had Berlin (the Rott) around other dogs in over a month, so that means we must have tracked it in somehow on our shoes. Come to find out it's quite resiliant.

Anyway, it was about 5 days of complete hell. I didn't realize exactly how heinous this virus is. We had to keep her in a bathtub because it pretty much continuously comes out both ends. They lose the desire to eat or drink, but it's just as well because the virus causes the intestinal lining to sluff off and they can't absorb any nutrients anyway. Due to this fact, in order to keep them alive long enough to beat the virus, you have to give them subcutaneous fluids every day, and hope they don't starve before they beat it. The virus only hangs on about 4 or 5 days, and it's usually the symptoms that kill them (dehydration, mostly), but if you can keep them hydrated they have a pretty good chance of making it.

Well, we fought hard for her, and I became more of a vetrinarian technician than I could have ever fathomed, and she came out of it. We got her eating again by using baby food at first, and then slowly introduced her solid food. This was about a week and a half ago.

Yesterday, she started acting lethargic and wouldn't eat. Then today, she threw up and it smelled like Parvo (it has a very distinct odor). Come to find out, they can actually give it to themselves again via the ground, house, etc. that they live in. Unlike every human virus I have encountered, they can somehow beat it but not be immune to it. Question I still don't understand how that's possible, but here I sit with a dog that has now contracted the same Parvo virus twice. The only way to keep this from happening is to completely sterilize your house and property (including the grass and rocks) with bleach. I'm thinking if she beats this again, she's going to the inlaws house (they do not have a dog) until we complete the sale of our house and move.

Fun times.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost a puppy to Parvo back in the 80s. Just a horrible way to die.
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. What an awful thing for not only her to go thru but you as well.
I hope she survives and is back to normal soon-
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I hope she makes it. So f-ing sad. Good luck to her and you. Crying or Very sad
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the well wishes. Went to the vet this morning and he thinks it is something other than Parvo, which is good. Hopefully she'll pull out of it, whatever it is.
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost a puppy to parvo several years back. It was horrible for both the dog and my family. My dad owned a feed and tack store for 20+ years and we had no product to offer to people to help them get their dogs through. The best recommendation I have (other than seeing your veterinarian, obviously) is to use pedialyte from the drug store to try to keep some electrolytes in their system as they fight the virus off. Good luck, xj. I hope your vet was right that it is not parvo again.
Dewberry
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found out my dog has parvo today. the vet is keeping him overnight, we are so worried he is such a sweet little dog. Justin directed me to this thread and I'm definetly taking xjwheeler's advice and bleaching everything.I'm having my yard landscaped so that will get rid of all the grass. Ugh, I wish I was with him right now, I miss my sweet little boy.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear that Dewberry. The vet will give him IV fluids while they have him, but unless you want to spend the $$ to hospitalize him until it's over, you'll have to give him fluids under the skin until he gets better.

Be prepared to clean up a lot of nastiness. We kept our pup in a bathroom (bathtub most of the time), even put a tarp down on the floor; it's that bad.

Good luck. Again, there is a good chance he'll pull through if you keep him hydrated.
Dewberry
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,my dog is making a full recovery and is up running around. we will be picking him up from the vet today Very Happy
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's great! glad to hear it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: