Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What do you guys think about the immigration bill?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote below is from a Phoenix PD officer I got from another board. I can link it if you want me to, but be aware that there are NO POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS allowed on that board. We are all friends, or at least acquaintances, on that board, and they try to keep it friendly.

As stated, the gentleman who made the remarks I have quoted is a Phoenix PD officer, and this is applicable to any stop or contact as it stands at this moment in Arizona law, prior to SB 1070 taking effect.

Cliff Notes: Even if you don't have your driver's license on you, they can tell who you are.

Quote:
It all depends upon the type of contact.

For a consensual contact, the person can stop complying at any time and there's nothing the LEO can do except let the person walk away.

If you stop a driver of a car for a traffic or equipment violation, they are required to show proof of ID by law or it is a criminal offense. If you don't have your license on you (you forgot it or you lost it) I can still pull up your information and picture on my computer and verify it. I personally am satisfied by that and will usually give a warning for not being in possession of the license if everything else checks out. If you give me a bogus license, it's not hard to check and then you are committing Forgery (a felony). If I can't verify your information by name, date of birth or SSN or passport or anything, and there is no fingerprint record or photo recognition, we are required to book you into jail where your photo and fingerprints will now be on file. If you are booked under a false name that you provide, that is also Forgery. Anyone who has gets arrested and booked gets checked, no matter your race or skin color or name.

If you are investigating a crime and have a reason to detain a person, you can go the same route.

If you want me to link it, I can.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/06/pelosi-urges-catholic-church-play-major-role-immigration-overhaul/

Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday urged Catholic leaders to "instruct" their parishioners to support immigration reforms, saying clerics should "play a very major role" in supporting Democratic policies.

"The cardinals, the archbishops, the bishops that come to me and say, 'We want you to pass immigration reform,' and I said, 'I want you to speak about it from the pulpit. I want you to instruct your' -- whatever the communication is," said Pelosi, who is Catholic, speaking at the Nation's Catholic Community conference sponsored by Trinity Washington University and the National Catholic Reporter.

I think this is bullshit and I really hate it when religion gets involved in politics (even more than when corporations get involved). I get pissed when I hear of Bishops saying they won't give communion to pro-choice politicians and I don't like this either.

CHURCHES THAT TAKE A SIDE IN POLITICS SHOULD HAVE THEIR TAX EXEMPT STATUS REVOKED.
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/06/pelosi-urges-catholic-church-play-major-role-immigration-overhaul/

Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday urged Catholic leaders to "instruct" their parishioners to support immigration reforms, saying clerics should "play a very major role" in supporting Democratic policies.

"The cardinals, the archbishops, the bishops that come to me and say, 'We want you to pass immigration reform,' and I said, 'I want you to speak about it from the pulpit. I want you to instruct your' -- whatever the communication is," said Pelosi, who is Catholic, speaking at the Nation's Catholic Community conference sponsored by Trinity Washington University and the National Catholic Reporter.

I think this is bullshit and I really hate it when religion gets involved in politics (even more than when corporations get involved). I get pissed when I hear of Bishops saying they won't give communion to pro-choice politicians and I don't like this either.

CHURCHES THAT TAKE A SIDE IN POLITICS SHOULD HAVE THEIR TAX EXEMPT STATUS REVOKED.

I agree with your premise.

Along with that, it's BS when Pelosi, or any government person, tries to tell any religion how they should conduct their business.

This is not directed at you personally, just generally, but if you want the Church to stay out of the State, then the State needs to stay out of the Church as well.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

I think this is bullshit and I really hate it when religion gets involved in politics (even more than when corporations get involved).

A matter of context...

Back a few eras after the dinosaurs became extinct (1950s & 60s), churches in the deep South were essential for propelling civil rights action. Back then, there were clearer targets for righteousness, justice, and freedom.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting article contrasting how New Mexico and Arizona have dealt with illegal immigration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/12/us/12newmexico.html
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't bothered to read it yet? Shocked

Stephen Dinan / The Washington Times today wrote:
Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., who has been critical of Arizona's new immigration law, said Thursday he hasn't yet read the law and is going by what he's read in newspapers or seen on television.

Mr. Holder is conducting a review of the law, at President Obama's request, to see if the federal government should challenge it in court. He said he expects he will read the law by the time his staff briefs him on their conclusions.

"I've just expressed concerns on the basis of what I've heard about the law. But I'm not in a position to say at this point, not having read the law, not having had the chance to interact with people are doing the review, exactly what my position is," Mr. Holder told the House Judiciary Committee.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously Holder?
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albuquerque's next:

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1558725.shtml?cat=500

A little different, you have to be arrested, rather than just stopped, and they'll check everyone, not just folks without ID, but similar.
AZ SnakePit
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Dinan / The Washington Times today wrote:
Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., who has been critical of Arizona's new immigration law, said Thursday he hasn't yet read the law and is going by what he's read in newspapers or seen on television.

Quote:
Really, are all opponents of the bill so completely ignorant of it? Or does it just seem that way?

YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Brewer READ the new law before signing it?

Quote:
Gov. Jan. Brewer, in announcing the creation of a commission to polish the tarnished image of Arizona brought on by SB1070, said that the problem to our reputation has been caused by "mistruths" about the new law.
She emphasized that the new immigration law would not permit racial profiling, adding, "You aren't going to be asked for ID unless you first commit a crime.”
Really?
I’m beginning to wonder if the governor actually READ the law before signing it.
The fact is the interaction between police and civilians that could lead to a demand for proof of citizenship probably will involve CIVIL violations. Not criminal.
The under SB1070, a person can be questioned about immigration after “any lawful stop, detention or arrest.”
Any.
A busted taillight is a civil violation. A barking dog is a civil violation.
When Sheriff Joe Arpaio conducts a sweep to catch illegal immigrants the first contact with deputies is often a civil traffic offense. Chances are the same will be true with the new law.
What happens after a person is asked for papers and fails to produce them could lead to criminal charges.
So, saying, “You aren’t going to be asked for ID unless you first commit a crime” is, as the governor might say, misleading.
Which might lead some people to wonder exactly whose “mistruths” the governor’s new commission is going to correct.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief... Can a Gov get impeached on the grounds that she's an idiot?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:

Not enough time before the coming election.

I'd be shocked if this sorry excuse for Gov. is elected in Nov.
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:

Ask Ev Meacham.

We've had extremely bad luck in Governors for some strange reason.
AZ SnakePit
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
Did Brewer READ the new law before signing it?

And how many people, if you stopped a hundred on the street, could explain the difference between a civil and criminal offense? Two? Three? Or even care. Was she speaking to a convention of lawyers? Because otherwise, the difference is basically irrelevant. Montini needs to go back to writing drivel about the Cubs, rather than venturing into the legal arena.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outrage over the outrage of the outrage
Nazi Tourette's

http://tpmtv.talkingpointsmemo.com/?id=5638106

Laughing
It is 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon only its one degree and Kevin Bacon is Hitler.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
Nazi Tourette's

Laughing
It is 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon only its one degree and Kevin Bacon is Hitler.

That was so good I put in on my FB page.
AZ SnakePit
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
Nazi Tourette's

Marvellous. Laughing
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stole it from someones FB. I think it is funny.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:

Stole it from someones FB. I think it is funny.

lol

if they were in american flag bikini's than that would be even better
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: