Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Moorad's Magical Mystery Moves

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Moorad's Magical Mystery Moves Reply with quote

A little late on the trigger, but when catching up on my reading I came across the following, and concluded that Moorad is starting to exert his influence on the Padres organization.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090521&content_id=4861792&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Quote:

Gerut sent to Milwaukee in return for familiar name

In the middle of breakfast Thursday, Tony Gwynn Jr. received a call from his father, former legendary San Diego outfielder and Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn.

"My dad was yelling in the phone like he had won a national championship," Gwynn said of his father, who is currently the head baseball coach at San Diego State.

When the dust settled, Gwynn told his son that he had been traded to the Padres.

The Padres could have had Gwynn six weeks ago for nothing. He missed much of Spring Training with a sore right throwing shoulder, and when the Brewers went instead with Chris Duffy and Brad Nelson, Gwynn was placed on waivers to get him off the 40-man roster. Milwaukee officials were surprised when he cleared.

The Padres will likely use the left-handed hitting Gwynn much like they used Gerut in games against right-handed pitching.

"From what it sounded like, I was going to get an opportunity to play a lot. I don't know how that's going to work out,"

UZR thinks Jody Gerut is an above average outfield defender, and he has a career .275 EQA.

UZR thinks Tony Gwynn is a good corner outfield defender, and has a career .229 EQA.

So maybe the Padres think Gwynn, who turns 27 in October, still can improve (AAA MLE OPS .582) . And maybe they think the 31 year old Gerut is starting to fade. Or maybe Moorad wants to put fans in the seats at the expense of wins again, and save a million or so in payroll at the same time.
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Krasovic / San Diego Union-Tribune yesterday wrote:
No-trade drama When Jake Peavy decided against accepting a trade to the White Sox... Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, was irked, too, that Peavy was put in that position Wednesday and Thursday. Player agent Scott Boras went one step further, saying yesterday that such trade attempts might be a breach of contract.

“The player has a contractual right that is being infringed upon when clubs attempt to trade a player with a no-trade clause without his consent,” Boras said. “It places the player, his family and his team in a position of peril and great emotional distress, which could affect his performance. It's a perception thing. There will be no (trade) discussions with any teams. Period. You do not have a right to trade this player.”

Said Padres CEO Jeff Moorad, who is a former player agent: “I'm not going to comment on that.”

Said Axelrod: “I'm not by any means saying I approved of that or enjoyed it and I clearly don't. I don't see that it's a grievable action. If somebody suffers emotional distress because of it, deal with it.”

Peavy received no-trade powers as part of the three-year, $52-million extension the Padres gave him in December 2007.
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Tom Krasovic / San Diego Union-Tribune yesterday wrote:
No-trade drama When Jake Peavy decided against accepting a trade to the White Sox... Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, was irked, too, that Peavy was put in that position Wednesday and Thursday. Player agent Scott Boras went one step further, saying yesterday that such trade attempts might be a breach of contract.

“The player has a contractual right that is being infringed upon when clubs attempt to trade a player with a no-trade clause without his consent,” Boras said. “It places the player, his family and his team in a position of peril and great emotional distress, which could affect his performance. It's a perception thing. There will be no (trade) discussions with any teams. Period. You do not have a right to trade this player.

Said Padres CEO Jeff Moorad, who is a former player agent: “I'm not going to comment on that.”

Said Axelrod: “I'm not by any means saying I approved of that or enjoyed it and I clearly don't. I don't see that it's a grievable action. If somebody suffers emotional distress because of it, deal with it.”

Peavy received no-trade powers as part of the three-year, $52-million extension the Padres gave him in December 2007.

Wait a minute--is Axelrod trying to argue that even having discussions about a player violates a no-trade clause? That makes no sense. Of course, he IS an agent..
...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

However, just for the record, Jeff Moorad thinks the world of Jake.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Jeffy.

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=728
TAP

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
More on Jeffy.

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=728

From the linked article:
Quote:
Moorad, a part owner of the San Diego Padres, became an agent in 1983 and represented, among others, Manny Ramirez, Shawn Green, Eric Karros, Ivan Rodriguez, Matt Williams and Pat Burrell. He negotiated Ramirez’ eight-year, $160 million contract with the Boston Red Sox in December 2000.

From Jeff Moorad's online chat on December 16, 2008:
Quote:
BigDave44: If finances allowed, would you try to sign Manny to stick it to the Dodgers?

Moorad: Great player, but nope.

Jeff surely had no idea Manny was "enhanced." wink wink
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

Jeff surely had no idea Manny was "enhanced." wink wink

But Jeff certainly thought the world of Manny...
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

History not repeated?

In late 2005, the Dbacks picked up a discarded player off the non-tendered trash, then watched him have a couple of solid seasons at reasonable contracts. What did they do? They completely failed to cash out while his value was high, and overpaid for his crappy years. The player who got screwed? Scott Hairston.

In late 2007, the Padres picked up a discarded player off the injured list, then watched him have a solid season at a reasonable cost. What did they do? They dumped him the next season, in order to free up at bats for a younger, cheaper better player? The player who benefited? Scott Hairston.

My guess is the Padres GM traded Gerut away before Moorad had a chance to invite him in his presidential office and offer him a stupid three year deal with a full no trade clause. My guess is Moorad was already getting the presidential desk ready for an evening of agony and ecstasy.
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riddle me this.

Who currently has Scott Hairston?

Which team is saddled with Eric Byrnes?

Who is the owner of the team who has Scott Hairston?

Who is the owner of a team that competes in the same division as the team that has Eric Byrnes and got that team to sign him to a long term NTC deal?

Crazy like a fox, I'd say.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl0H1EUQ_38
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's crazy that he's worked his whole life making millions per year and right now he only owns 40% of about a third of the Padres. The amount of money it takes to be a sole owner of an MLB franchise is nearly unfathomable.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
It's crazy that he's worked his whole life making millions per year and right now he only owns 40% of about a third of the Padres. The amount of money it takes to be a sole owner of an MLB franchise is nearly unfathomable.

Meh.
It's all a scam to rob Moores's ex-wife of a whole bunch of cash...
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

40% of 33% ~= 13.2% Shocked
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Jenkins / The San Diego Union-Tribune tonight wrote:
To say the least, and to put it nicely, 2009 has been a season of transition, turnover and turmoil for the Padres, whose attendance has plummeted in accordance with their win-loss record.

Thursday, changes were made outside the clubhouse and baseball side.

Thirteen front-office employees, none of them in baseball operations, were laid off in what new chief executive officer Jeff Moorad called the “first step in the reorganization in the business side of the Padres.”

The Padres did not announce the names of the affected employees, but among those let go, sources said, was Jeff Overton, the executive vice president of business operations, and vice presidents Jim Ballweg (sales) and Michele Anderson (community relations).

The Padres have been whittling away at their opening-day payroll of $43 million, second-lowest in the majors. The only team with a lower payroll, the Florida Marlins, just completed a three-game sweep in San Diego.

Among the 50 home games they've played – more than half of them losses – the Padres have drawn the 14 smallest crowds in Petco Park history. With an average crowd of around 24,000, the Padres are on pace to draw under 2 million fans for the first time since the strike-shortened 1995 season, and they've never finished below 2.4 million since Petco Park opened in 2004.

Clearly, ticket sales and performance in business partnerships figured into the moves. Also laid off were the directors of marketing, corporate communications and business public relations.

“We went through a work-force reduction in Arizona with no plans to build it back,” said Moorad, who previously was an executive with the Diamondbacks. “Here, the approach is quite different.”

Please keep doing what you're doing Jeff. You're building a winner.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god the Padres are in our division.

Told a Pads fan last night Thank You for keeping us out of last place Laughing
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Chris Jenkins / The San Diego Union-Tribune tonight wrote:

“We went through a work-force reduction in Arizona with no plans to build it back,” said Moorad, who previously was an executive with the Diamondbacks. “Here, the approach is quite different.”

Please keep doing what you're doing Jeff. You're building a winner.

And then Jeffy quietly fires his GM.

I urge Jeffy to take over the open position.
His baseball acumen has been just impeccable.
His free agent signings of Russ and Troy Glaus were amazing.
His trade and sign deal for Shawn Green was absolute unbelievable genius.
His three year extension for Flipper was the most astute, most brilliant baseball move in history.

Jeffy's got the balls of a catcher, the guts of a bullpen coach, and the brains of Tommy LaSorda.
For the sake of the game of baseball, we can only hope he makes all the baseball decisions in SD for a long time.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for Pad fans. Moorad is going to control the new GM and run the team into the ground. Towers is a pretty damn good GM.
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Crasnick / ESPN.com today wrote:
Padres CEO Jeff Moorad took some hits in the baseball journalism community for firing Towers. Along with being one of the game's most accessible and well-liked executives, Towers earned a reputation as an astute evaluator of pitching and a good soldier who took cutbacks in stride and executed management's directives without complaint.

Moorad didn't return a call seeking comment for this story. But when he said he wants a general manager who'll take a more "strategic approach" to the job, some people took that as code that he wants a GM who will execute his vision.

In reality, it was more a comment on the Padres' recent lack of success in scouting, drafting and developing talent from within. Moorad generally gave Byrnes the latitude to call the shots in Arizona, and he should give Hoyer room to breathe in San Diego.

"There's a perception that Moorad is the puppet master, but I don't think that's true," said a baseball person who is friends with Hoyer. "I don't think he views himself as a 'baseball guy,' and he clearly likes having young, bright, energetic executives around. Jed is smart enough to see what the dynamic is going be there."

TAP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Rosenthal / foxsports.com tonight wrote:
No doubt, the Padres face legitimate financial challenges; home attendance has declined from more than 3 million in Petco’s inaugural season in 2004 to below 2 million last season. The team, one source says, also generates less revenue from local TV than all but one club.

Still, questions persist about the viability of the franchise’s new ownership, led by Jeff Moorad.

Just over a year ago, Moorad’s group reached agreement to gain controlling interest of the club from John Moores over a five-year period. That’s right, the other owners allowed one of their franchises to be purchased on a layaway plan — an unusual arrangement, to say the least.

Moores, who was going through a divorce, needed to sell. He was satisfied that Moorad’s group had the highest bid, and in a down economy, baseball evidently determined that the Padres could not do better.

Moorad continues to deny that his group is underfinanced, but the only way for him to dispel such talk will be to spend at a higher level.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: