Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Yakima

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Yakima Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with my buddy who is the voice of the Spokane Indians and he had some nice things to say about both Clayton Connor and Mark Hallberg.

Always good to hear others opinions of our guys.
allstar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. These guys are having a fine season.
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Just got off the phone with my buddy who is the voice of the Spokane Indians and he had some nice things to say about both Clayton Connor and Mark Hallberg.

Always good to hear others opinions of our guys.

If you're talking about Bob Robertson, I love the man. He used to attend our high school games and did some of our games and I had the privilege of working with him a couple times. Bob would allow me to sit in the radio booth with him and chewed out our AD when he tried to stop it.
*****Always be a good sport, be a good sport all ways*****
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yakima Bears and Arizona DiamondBacks Extend Affiliation Through 2010
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since the Bears affiliation began with the Diamondbacks, a number of current major leaguers have made their way through Yakima, including Conor Jackson (2003), Mark Reynolds (2004), and Dan Uggla.

Laughing
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope not Bob. My guys name is Mike Boyle. Used to work weekends down in Tucson. He just sent me this IM.

THERE'S A KID FOR THE D'BACKS TEAM IN YAKIMA...COLLIN COWGILL...KEEP YOUR EYES OUT FOR HIM. HAS 9HR'S ALREADY AFTER 17 GAMES...
HIT 3 IN ONE GAME TWO NIGHTS AGO. LEADS THE LEAGUE IN HR'S AND RBI'S..
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Nope not Bob. My guys name is Mike Boyle. Used to work weekends down in Tucson. He just sent me this IM.

THERE'S A KID FOR THE D'BACKS TEAM IN YAKIMA...COLLIN COWGILL...KEEP YOUR EYES OUT FOR HIM. HAS 9HR'S ALREADY AFTER 17 GAMES...

Can he play LF? Laughing
allstar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:

Can he play LF? Laughing

In fact, he can play left field.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allstar, I was being facetious

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2008/07/04/20080704dbnotes.html

Quote:
Outfielder Collin Cowgill, the club's fifth-round pick last month out of Kentucky, has been on an incredible tear to start his pro career. Playing for short-season Yakima of the Northwest League, Cowgill had 11 home runs in 64 at-bats entering Friday.

He had five home runs in the past three games, including three Wednesday night.
allstar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
allstar, I was being facetious

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2008/07/04/20080704dbnotes.html

Quote:
Outfielder Collin Cowgill, the club's fifth-round pick last month out of Kentucky, has been on an incredible tear to start his pro career. Playing for short-season Yakima of the Northwest League, Cowgill had 11 home runs in 64 at-bats entering Friday.

He had five home runs in the past three games, including three Wednesday night.

My apologies.
Hopefully Cowgill continues hitting well throughout the system.
coolwater
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collin Cowgill recent article.

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/5521

Quote:
"It's early, he's young and I'm not going to put him in the Hall of Fame yet," Yakima manager Bob Didier said, "but he reminds me a little bit of Reynolds (ex-Bear and current Arizona Diamondback Mark). He'll hit a ball to the outfield and you think it's a fly ball that's going to be caught, but it carries and carries and pretty soon it's gone."

allstar
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolwater wrote:
Collin Cowgill recent article.

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/5521

Quote:
"It's early, he's young and I'm not going to put him in the Hall of Fame yet," Yakima manager Bob Didier said, "but he reminds me a little bit of Reynolds (ex-Bear and current Arizona Diamondback Mark). He'll hit a ball to the outfield and you think it's a fly ball that's going to be caught, but it carries and carries and pretty soon it's gone."

That's great to hear but hopefully he has a better plate vision and strikeout ratio.
DaveK
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got word... err, unconfirmed that Cowgill is heading to South Bend as a result of Mike Mee moving up to Visalia.

Dave
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveK wrote:
I just got word... err, unconfirmed that Cowgill is heading to South Bend as a result of Mike Mee moving up to Visalia.

Dave

Mike Mee is my good friend's first cousin. Very glad to hear he's moving up the farm system, and am equally if not more stoked about the news of Cowgill spring-boarding to South Bend! I told you when we made the pick that his scout video looked tremendous!
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Bend is going to be a tougher test. Given Cowgill's age and profile, and AZ's needs, I'd push him as aggressively up the system as possible
DaveK
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed Cowgill is on South Bend's roster now. As the previous poster alluded to, South Bend is deeper down the lines by about 40 feet.

I still want homers!

Dave
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveK wrote:
I just noticed Cowgill is on South Bend's roster now. As the previous poster alluded to, South Bend is deeper down the lines by about 40 feet.

I still want homers!

Dave

Yep, get the heck out of South Bend and get into West Virginia and I think you'll get more homers
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to spend the last two days of my vacation hiking in southern Washington. However, I've made plans to come off the trails and catch the Yakima Bears on Saturday night (a new ballpark for me). There are a couple of relatively high draft picks on the Bears (Mike Davidson, Ryan Wheeler). I'll let you guys know if I see anything interesting/encouraging.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of fun, David!

Make sure to let us know what you think of the young prospects, especially Davidson. I've already kind of made him one of "my guys" Wink
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from Yakima. Afraid I don't have much to report. This is not a very talented team, even though they won 9-2 (a deceiving score--they scored six runs in 1/3 of an inning off one pitcher who has no business being in professional ball--4 doubles, a walk, and 3 wild pitches, including a 50 foot fastball.

Their most advanced player is a shortstop named Brent Greer. He's 21 and has a nice bat (and good speed). In the field he made one really nice play in the hole, but muffed a fairly easy chance. My guess is that he's at best a AAAA player, and then probably not at shortstop (probably second base).

I watched Matt Davidson a lot, Unfortunately I wasn't blown away. I have to remember he's only 18, so he has time to develop. He strikes out an awful lot (32 in 100 ABs) and for a guy with not that much power that's a bit alarming. He also looked atrocious at third, showing poor reactions on a ball hit to his right that went for double down the line, and letting a routine ball go under his glove (generously scored a hit). I'm not a professional scout (I just play one on the interwebs) but if Davidson's bat ever gets him to the big leagues, his glove will move him off of third base.

Oh, the most important thing about Davidson--he's a high sock guy.

None of the pitchers I saw (Andrew Wolcott, Brian Budrow and Alex Thieroff) broke 86 on the radar gun, And while Wolcott and Budrow were effective, I can't see either of them getting past Triple-A.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Back from Yakima. Afraid I don't have much to report. This is not a very talented team, even though they won 9-2 (a deceiving score--they scored six runs in 1/3 of an inning off one pitcher who has no business being in professional ball--4 doubles, a walk, and 3 wild pitches, including a 50 foot fastball.

Their most advanced player is a shortstop named Brent Greer. He's 21 and has a nice bat (and good speed). In the field he made one really nice play in the hole, but muffed a fairly easy chance. My guess is that he's at best a AAAA player, and then probably not at shortstop (probably second base).

I watched Matt Davidson a lot, Unfortunately I wasn't blown away. I have to remember he's only 18, so he has time to develop. He strikes out an awful lot (32 in 100 ABs) and for a guy with not that much power that's a bit alarming. He also looked atrocious at third, showing poor reactions on a ball hit to his right that went for double down the line, and letting a routine ball go under his glove (generously scored a hit). I'm not a professional scout (I just play one on the interwebs) but if Davidson's bat ever gets him to the big leagues, his glove will move him off of third base.

None of the pitchers I saw (Andrew Wolcott, Brian Budrow and Alex Thieroff) broke 86 on the radar gun, And while Wolcott and Budrow were effective, I can't see either of them getting past Triple-A.

Boo.

Where's your Organizational Advocacy?
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
David B wrote:

Boo.

Where's your Organizational Advocacy?

David's just pissed about "gaining" Lopez. Laughing
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yakima is 9-19. They only have two 2009 high draft picks on the roster. There are 26 players who are either non-drafted free agents, or draft picks from the 20th round on. It's not exactly a group teeming with talent.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Yakima is 9-19. They only have two 2009 high draft picks on the roster. There are 26 players who are either non-drafted free agents, or draft picks from the 20th round on. It's not exactly a group teeming with talent.

But boy, they sure will get the opportunity to eat some apples out there...
Good wine too...
I think I was in Yakima sometime around 1997. Don't remember a thing.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
David B wrote:

But boy, they sure will get the opportunity to eat some apples out there...
Good wine too...
I think I was in Yakima sometime around 1997. Don't remember a thing.

Too much applejack has a tendency to do that... Wink Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: