Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Roster/Draft Thoughts, Suggestions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Fantasy Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghost of Lewis Grizzard
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Roster/Draft Thoughts, Suggestions Reply with quote

For the first time, I'm in a serious fantasy baseball league. It's a keeper league, 12 players, and I'm a first year player. Big buy-in, big prizes, and even a running sports book where you can bet ON (but not against, Pete) your own team in futures bets and weekly bets, etc.

We had our draft yesterday on opening day, and I thought it turned out pretty well for me, given that a few things fall in my favor. I'm looking for thoughts on how I could improve through trade and then one specific question on a potential pick up.

The thing to know about the league is that it's a points league. The scoring has been worked out over the years (according to my buddy) to be pretty fair and pretty fun. It works like this:

Hitters:

TB - 1 point
RsBI - 1 point
Run - 1 point
GWRBI - 1 point
SB - 1 point
HBP - .7 points
Sacrifice - .5 points
BB - 1 point
K= -1 point
Cycle - 10 points
GIDP= -1 point
Errors= -.2 points
Assists - 1 point

Pitchers

IP - 3 points
BB= -1 point
ER= -2 points
K - 1 point
L= -5 points
W- 10 points
Blown save= -3 points
CG - 5 points
No hitter - 22 points
Hits allowed= -1 point
Hit batsman= -.7 points
HR Allowed= -2 points
Saves - 5 points
Holds - 3 points
Shutout - 5 points
Perfect game - 30 points

Wow, that was long. So here's how it turned out. Being a new player, I was able to participate with four other new players in an expansion draft of contracted players, so we could have our four keepers, as well. I drew first pick, and it didn't snake. I happened to trade draft picks prior to the draft for Jimmy Rollins and Carlos Quentin, leaving me two keeper picks.

I got: Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton.

Draft went this way for me:

5th (49) - Nick Markakis
7th (73) - Alexi Ramirez, 2b, SS
9th (97) - Zack Greinke
11th (121) - Ricky Nolasco
12th (144) - Mike Napoli
13th (145) - Randy Johnson
13th (150) - Matt Weiters
14th (161) - Aaron Harang
14th (168) - Edwin Encarnacion
15th (169) - Justin Upton
16th (192) - Frank Francisco
17th (193) - Pablo Sandoval, 1B, 3B, C
17th (200) - Manny Parra
18th (216) - Adam Lind
19th (217) - Ubaldo Jiminez
20th (240) - Chad Qualls
21st (241) - Orlando Hudson
22nd (260) - Mark Reynolds, Mr. Irrelevant

1st round (5th round) went:

ROUND 5
Nick Markakis
, Bal Orlando Hudsons
Brian Roberts
, Bal Cola Ball & Weiners
Ryan Howard
, Phi Sexual Chocolate
Brandon Phillips
, Cin Badminton Bombers
Carlos Zambrano
, ChC MotorCity Kitties
Brian McCann
, Atl Quahog Bartmans
Yovani Gallardo
, Mil Ponkaquogue Pitbulls
Carl Crawford
, TB AC Shockers
Matt Holliday
, Oak Athens Arsenal
Russell Martin
, LAD Vegas High Rollers
Stephen Drew
, Ari Ponkaquogue Pitbulls
Javier Vazquez
, Atl The Dirty Smokin' Aces

Thoughts on where I can improve/could have some trade depth? I plan to platoon Upton and Reynolds hard, giving Upton home starts against lefties (and home starts in general) and giving Reynolds starts against lefties. Also have a great deal of versatility with Sandoval playing 3 positions and getting 2 positions out of Ramirez. Also looking forward to having Matt Weiters.

Another question, looking for suggestions because I'm struggling with this. Joel Hanrahan is still available, and he's eligible for both RP and SP. We have four SP slots, with 2 RP slots (which are filled most days by the other guys). I have two extra SP in Jiminez and Parra (who is also RP eligible). I am thinking of dropping Jiminez and picking up Hanrahan. I project them to have similar point production, unless Jiminez has a breakout year. The difference will be that Hanrahan will provide me 10-15 steady points per week, while Jiminez will give me some 25 point weeks and some -5 point weeks, depending upon how he looks.

Would you hold pat, since Jiminez has some upside and the ceiling is pretty low for Washington's closer? Or would you opt for the sure points?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Fantasy Thoughts All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: