Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Where to find some analysis on this year's draft, etc.?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Fantasy Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Where to find some analysis on this year's draft, etc.? Reply with quote

I'm looking to find somewhere that could give me some insight into what could be on the horizon with some of the draftees this year with regard to how soon they could potentially help their big league club. I think my team is in need of a big overhaul. It's a 5x5 keeper roto league w/ OBP replacing AVG.

Right now I'm sitting with this:

C (2 spots): Saltalamacchia/ JR Towles/ Matt Weiters (I'm happy with the thought of what this can be for next year)
1B: Casey Kotchman
2B: Mark DeRosa
3B: Zimmerman(DL)
SS: Yunel Escobar/ Jeter
OF (5 spots): Hawpe, Melky Cabrera, Xavier Nady, Ethier, Delmon Young
Util (2 spots): Thome, Billy Butler
Bench: Francoeur/ Maybin, Hideki Matsui

Pitcher:
SP: Danks, Sabathia, Cueto, Jurrjens, Andrew Miller, Javier Vasquez
RP: Street, Nathan, CJ Wilson
Bench: Homer Bailey

As that stands I'm thinking about cutting Javy Vasquez, Andrew Miller and Jeff Francoeur soon. What do you guys think of their values?

And what are some thoughts on Melky, Kotchman and Billy Butler? Are they going to be productive enough in the future to warrant keeping on my roster through this year and next? Melky and Kotchman are looking like busts thus far.

I'm hoping to find some help in the form of players who will likely be able to help out as September callups/ players for next year. Who are the best talents in this past draft?
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If playing for next year, keep

Wieters
Kotchman
Zimmerman
Butler
Maybin
Danks
CC
Jurrjens
Miller
Nathan
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. All those guys (with the exception of Kotchman and Miller) were guys that I was definitely going to keep for next year. But by eliminating so much of my roster, I'm not sure where to find enough talent to fill out the rest of my roster.

I'm curious as to what you see in Kotchman that I'm missing. He seems like a serviceable guy, but nothing to really write home about. PECOTA has him at .298/.371/.451 with 11 HR.

I've done some more research on Miller and can now see your point on keeping him.

I have the feeling that trying to fill 60% of my roster next year may be difficult to do knowing that the rest of my league will be spending their salary space on fewer players.

This is the first time I've done anything with a keeper league, so the criteria for someone worth keeping is not something that I feel I've defined yet. With salaries in mind, the guys I currently have at zero dollars are Matsui, Miller, Danks, Ethier, DeRosa, Nady and Jurrjens. After inflation for next year, they'll all be at $4. Were the players you listed as keepers in a world where everything is equal?

I would have included guys like Salty, Matsui, Cueto, and Escobar on my list of keepers as well, but you left them off.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that high on butler.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I'm not that high on butler.

you should never give up on the too young and the too talented

i think kotchman will eventually start hitting for a lot more power
cueto is too inconsistent for my taste, and matsui is old as dirt
escobar is kind of flukey and salty really seems confused

then again, i'm not the best talent evaluator out there, by a long shot
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butler isn't hitting righties much at all, and his BB/K rates haven't translated. Very young to be sure, but he is a DH, and if he doesn't hit more very soon, especially against RHP, he's going to start losing at bats.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Butler isn't hitting righties much at all, and his BB/K rates haven't translated. Very young to be sure, but he is a DH, and if he doesn't hit more very soon, especially against RHP, he's going to start losing at bats.

Not if he gets traded to the Dbacks before then
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Fantasy Thoughts All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: