Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hammock and Hairston called up
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
I might know that TC cop (know quite a few; a couple are former chess players of mine).

CHESS??? Did someone say chess??? I love chess, but I can never find anyone to play with. I'm not a great player, but most of the people I know barely know how to move the pieces, so it's not even fun to play them. I've settled for getting my butt kicked by Fritz. Of course, since that's the same program that beat Kasparov, I'm not too disheartened!
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing chess on yahoo in my spare time for years.. it isnt a perfect solution, but it is pretty cool...
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

That was the most ridiculously unnecessary move of the night, pulling 2 for 2 Hairston, whom we're trying to showcase for potential play or trade, to put in one-night-off Gonzo who proceeds to go 0 for 2 in support of Webb's attempt at the Cy Young.

BoMel was scared of what those nasty Dodgers might say about him if he left that PV presence in the dugout in that potential "game" situation. Those other teams are watching who he's playing, ya know. Rolling Eyes
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:

CHESS??? Did someone say chess??? I love chess, but I can never find anyone to play with. I'm not a great player, but most of the people I know barely know how to move the pieces, so it's not even fun to play them.

I played tournament chess for about a decade, primarily to improve my skills so that I could coach more effectively... and got to be pretty good--Official "Expert" level USCF rating of 2032 (one level below chess master).

Those tournaments take a LOT of time that I'm devoting to other pursuits now, but I still play online chess frequently at Its Your Turn and at Chess World.

Both sites have advantages--quicker games at the first one and many more options at the second (I esp. like "team play"). I use the same login name as here.
1golfer1
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
1golfer1 wrote:

TC! used to hit MV for sunset, astrophotography all night, then sunrise behind mittens, then as soon as sun rose started back. always stopped at TC mcdonolds...

IF you ever get up this way again, you can get a MUCH better breakfast in TC if you head to McD's but turn right at the corner stop light to Kate's Cafe (on right).

In old days, I would've recommended the Tuba City Truck Stop down at the stop light on Hwy 160; however, the Hopis didn't renew the lease of the former owner and took it over themselves a few years ago--it has rapidly gone downhill from its glory days when it seriously competed for the best Navajo Tacos in the world.

kate's it is!!!!
1golfer1
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
DesertKnight wrote:

CHESS??? Did someone say chess??? I love chess, but I can never find anyone to play with. I'm not a great player, but most of the people I know barely know how to move the pieces, so it's not even fun to play them.

I played tournament chess for about a decade, primarily to improve my skills so that I could coach more effectively... and got to be pretty good--Official "Expert" level USCF rating of 2032 (one level below chess master).

Those tournaments take a LOT of time that I'm devoting to other pursuits now, but I still play online chess frequently at Its Your Turn and at Chess World.

yeah. and he will kick your azz all over the place!!!!

Both sites have advantages--quicker games at the first one and many more options at the second (I esp. like "team play"). I use the same login name as here.
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
DesertKnight wrote:

2032 is a damn good rating. I never got around to playing enough tournament-level games to actually get a rating, but if I did, it wouldn't be anywhere near 2032!

I tried playing online, but never really cared for it. Even though you know you're still playing a real person, it doesn't feel like it. At least if I play Fritz, I know exactly who (or what) I'm cursing!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: